Thursday, November 13, 2008

The accent is on

I know I talk about accents a lot, but in my defence, I am frequently required to talk about accents in my real life, so it seems only fair that I should be allowed to in my cyber life too. I'm very used to talking about my own accent. Most people remark on it, if they don't know me. Most of them say they love it. That's an easy conversation to have. "Thank you" I say, "it came for free. I didn't have to study it, or pay for it, or anything." It's a nice conversation (if a little repetitive).

This week I've had two rather different conversations about my accent. The first was in a park. A five year old girl came up and introduced herself to 4-yo and asked her to play. They spent a happy time, while the mother asked me where I was from, how long I've lived here... the usual. Then as 4-yo and I were leaving, the little girl came over, looking rather puzzled and intrigued. She finally came out with "You speak excellent Spanish".

This made me laugh, not only for the way she had misunderstood, but also because it was such a very polite grown-up phrase coming from such a little girl. I explained to her that I wasn't speaking Spanish, otherwise she wouldn't understand what I was saying, that it was English, the same as she spoke, but it just sounded a bit different. Her mother came to my rescue: "like Charlie and Lola - she's from the same place as Charlie and Lola".

I felt the cache I normally enjoy from my accent was a little depleted (if you've never heard Charlie and Lola talk to each other, then find a clip on youtube or listen to a story here, and you'll see why it's not the most flattering of comparisons). Then getting 4-yo's hair cut today at Master Cuts, one of the other clients, a young chap with an adventurous hairstyle, said "I love your accent" (no surprises there). "My room-mate's parents sound a bit like you. They're from England, I think, but I find them really hard to understand if they talk fast". "Whereabouts are they from?" I asked, gearing up for the appropriate variation on the northern/southern/Liverpudlian follow-up conversation. "Um... I think they're from Dubai".


Oh, and speaking of hairdressers, I have another hairdresser-and-accents story. I have had to find myself a new cosmetologist (as you'll remember they are called), as my old one has moved away to Connecticut. Most inconsiderate of her. So off I went to a new one. The usual format: she asked me how I wanted my hair, I chatted away to her about my hair while she was washing it, I then moved back to the vertical chair, and as she started to cut, she looked at me in the mirror and struck up a bit of polite conversation. But her opener was far from predictable: "So have you lived here all your life?" Her face was completely straight, not a hint of irony. I didn't want to embarrass her, so once I'd recovered from the shock, I just replied "No, we've been here a couple of years", and then asked about her. I mean, judging by other people's reactions, I don't pass for a local just yet.

I'd like to think it was a bet, and that as I left the cosmetology salon, the entire staff and remaining clientele erupted in yelping laughter and shouts of "I can't BELIEVE you did that!" But I don't think so. I think she just hadn't noticed my accent. Did a nice job on my hair, though.

14 comments:

  1. You'd need to be called a cosmetologist to give haircuts like that one pictured...Is that what yours looks like now??? Not that I knew what it looked like before.
    You've become q the technologist now; Iota with bells & whistles, or at least pictures. I'm still trying to work out how to get an RSS feed set up. Oh dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These days there are so many Brits heading out to Dubai, your little chap was probably right about that part!

    Charlie and Lola speak quite sweetly, I think - although I guess you don't want to sound like a five year old yourself...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah Dubai, the English Riviera, just down there next to Bournemouth.

    I'm always stumped when someone says "I love your accent - go on, say something!!"

    Errrr.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. We get something along these lines when we head SofHW to visit; people (including family) can't quite believe the broad, unintelliglible Scottish accents that come out of the children's mouths when their parents are so clearly English.

    And my worst ever conversation with a hairdresser went: "So you children must be all grown up now?" "Err no. They're 12 & 14". or whatever it was then - you'll attpreciate that it's sometime since I've had to go to a hairdresser. Anyhow, having aged umpteen years under her care, I didn't go back there again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great hair cut Iota - what did you ask for?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dubai? Classic... Funnily enough, living in expat land in central London, I get the same comments about my accent here from time to time... At least you are actually outside the UK!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did I ever tell you the one about the parents who came to speak to me on parent teacher night? (For those who don't know me, I'm a Spanish teacher in the UK). They told me they were looking forward to their daughter using her Spanish on holiday, as they were going to Malta... My face must have been a picture, but there was no way I could bring myself to burst their bubble. Have often wondered since how that holiday went.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah the accent. Just mentioned the advantages of that in my latest post.
    Dubai? Nice. Do they have stripey deckchairs on the sand there too?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a good friend here who is American but has, for professional reasons, adopted a slightly too perfect upper crust British accent after more than a decade here. It is one of my favorite things in the world to tell colleagues who don't realize it, "You know he's actually from Fresno..."

    ReplyDelete
  10. When we came back to Henely after spending three years in La Jolla (tough life I know) a little girl down the road thought we were were from France. Hmmm, not sure how to take that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Darling you look fabulous, snort.

    What is your accent Iota? Scots, English?? I assumed Scots but am often wrong so you may chastise me. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Funny post. I get this in the opposite version and still have to explain where I come from after 14 years here because "obviously I don't come from around here." I then usually get "my trip to America" stories. At dinner parties with someone new to me I have to go through the whole story as it's always a talking point. Which was fine for the first five years but gets a little wearying now. It's weirder when we go to the States and my kids all have British accents but I don't. When they were small no one could understand them but now the get the occaisional "cool factor" going for them so that's something. Last summer a waiter tried to speak to my husband with a "cockney" accent. Ouch. Embarassing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. One more thing ... does it bug you that you children have American accents ... the truth here please!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think you have a cut-glass English kind of accent? I'm not sure why, but I can sort of hear it behind the words! Tell me I'm wrong...

    I have a neutral accent. It has taken me years of self-restraint to keep it. 30 years ago in deepest darkest Wiltshire it was better to say nothing than to reveal a failure to blend in. I was a reclusive child! Now, in Sarf Lundun, I revel innit. The neutrality that is.

    Unlike my beloved children..

    ReplyDelete