Saturday, November 8, 2008

Sweet Land

Whenever I've felt that moving abroad is tough and lonely and all those other self-pitying things that we expat wives notch up on our imaginary totem of hard-done-byness, I've always managed to find some comfort in comparing my lot to those of women in bygone ages. I always hated history at school, and wrote it off as boring and pointless. I now increasingly see the huge value of learning about the past, about past lives. Boy, does it make you thankful to be a 21st century woman.

The pioneers, those women who sat in covered wagons with their children, bumping along day after day after day, full of uncertainty, fear, loneliness, illness. No email, no telephone, no blogging, no antibiotics, no heating, no air conditioning. How pathetic they would think we modern day women are! "I don't understand the school grading system. I can't get decent sausages. The bacon is really fatty. Air travel is so expensive." I hang my head in shame.

Last night, I watched a movie "Sweet Land" - look it up on Netflix. It's set in the 1920s, when Inge arrives in Minnesota to marry a farmer she has never met. Because of her German background, she is unable to get the necessary papers to allow her to immigrate or marry. The local minister preaches against her from the pulpit ("her coffee is too black"), and life is bleak. It is a beautiful movie, which I thoroughly recommend if you're not in a hurry (emotionally, I mean, at 110 minutes the film itself isn't unusually long). Slow-moving (oh how those days must have dragged for her), with lingering shots of the land, the houses, the faces of the characters, it's full of the detail of life at the time, domestic, social and agricultural.

I loved Inge. Beautiful, composed, dignified, standing up for herself as best she can, treasuring her few possessions, a gramophone player and a smart hat. She arrives in a strange and hostile land, speaking only a few words of English, but has been sensible enough to include in her handful of learned phrases "I could eat a horse". That speaks to me of a woman who, facing her life's biggest adventure and biggest hardship, shrewdly and wisely decided where her priorities lay.

10 comments:

  1. Absolutely spot on! We have it so easy by comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right - we have no real hardships to complain of. I like the sound of that film. I was an avid reader of Laura Ingalls Wilder (of Little house on the prairie fame) as a child, and have always been fascinated by those early American pioneers....

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true - we don't really know we're born. Events of the last few weeks here have made that clear to me too.

    BTW - your word verification is 'erstatin' - isn't that some kind of prozac related drug? Or maybe an Austrian village in the Alps...? I need to get out more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We spend quite a lot of time in Copper Mountain, Colorado and every time we drive from the airport, through the foothills and up into the mountains I think "How on earth did they get through here to California?"
    My hubby has just read the book about laying the Great Western Railway which also tells a remarkable story. (Of course I can't remember the title.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. She sounds like my great grandmother, who came to Minnesota from the Netherlands in 1910, had 15 children (of which remarkably 14 survived to adulthood) and lived in a dirt-floored sod house. I have got to see this movie--thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I often wonder about the mother that raised a little boy in my Edwardian house. His name was Frances and he was six when they moved from London to this what must have been the sticks to them quiet town on the Thames.

    I bet he didn’t rule the roost. What did he play with? I bet he never spoke back to his mother or father.

    Good or bad. Hard to say. But I can spend hours thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that sounds good. I know very little about that era and could convince Mr B with the history angle, It must have been a nightmare, I mean, no blogging? Blimey.

    And following Potty Mummy's example, your word verification sounds like a welsh village, 'comarban,' Nice. In fact, come to think of it, hers sounds like a welsh village too. Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My word verification was BOTOMY, now what field of science do you think that covers? I digress, I also often think when mooching about all the 'sacrifices' Ive made living abroad, of the missionaries who just upped & left 'for good' whose chidlren died of malaria etc. Also the pioneers, & just being a woman anytime pre 20th C. I too love history now. womens studies at uni got me interested first, Findng out about women down coal mines etc! Anyoen out tehre read The Colour By Rose Tremain? A great book about a woman who accompanies her husband to New Zealand on HIS quest for gold & all the acommpanying hardships. Great book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi iota, just read this post so sorry if this comment is a bit late. Take a look at Green Dolphin Country by Elizabeth Goudge. About pioneers to New Zealand in the late 1800s. A simple, gentle and uplifting book - very old fashioned but soothes the soul!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey,thanks for that lovely post, it really has me think different about being a "pioneer" in Yorkshire as an American. Ive been thinking about it all morning....

    ReplyDelete