Sunday, May 27, 2012

Housework crisis: female vs male approach

It's a pain in the butt, keeping your house tidy and then whizzing round cleaning manically whenever a potential buyer wants to look round (can't they just browse and buy online like we do for everything else these days?) At least since Husband's term has ended, he's around and helps out. Women and men have a different approach to housework, don't they? Though there are some underlying similarities.

My stream of consciousness

Oh bother, this bottle of bathroom cleaner has run out. Never mind, there'll be quite a few others around the house in various cupboards. Husband always stocks up when he goes shopping… On the other hand, this could be a reason to go to Dillon’s and finish the cleaning later. There might be something on special offer and I could save some money. So it totally makes sense. Hm…Yes... That’s a good idea. I need a break anyway. I wonder if Anne-Marie would be free for a coffee in the Starbuck’s inside Dillon’s. That’s sensible - killing two birds with one stone. In fact, it would be silly to go to Dillon’s without seeing if she’s free. I’ll just call her… Dang it, she's not there. Left a message on her voice mail, so now I really have to go, because she might turn up and if I'm not there, that would be bad.

That’ll be one of the fun things about moving to Scotland. There’ll be some great coffee shops to discover in Edinburgh. I bet they’re really nice. There’s that one where J K Rowling wrote Harry Potter. Ooh, fun… All I need is a friend, or a book. Bookshops! Bet there are some nice bookshops in Edinburgh too. I wonder what people are reading these days in Scotland. Maggie O'Farrell - I love her. Has she written anything new recently I wonder? Or Alexander McCall Smith. Yes! Fabulous! What I really need is a bookshop with a coffee place inside it. Or just next door. Mmm… lots to explore.

Twenty minutes… I suppose I could just whip round with the vacuum, or do the kitchen. Not really worth it though. Can’t do much in twenty minutes. I know… I’ll just check my emails. That’s a really efficient use of time. Yay, me, for being so efficient. And I could just have a quick look at Amazon to see if there's a new Maggie O'Farrell. Or read one quick blog post. Wonder who's posted today.

Husband’s stream of consciousness

Oh bother, this bottle of bathroom cleaner has run out. I don’t think we have any more in the house anywhere. Funny that, because I always stock up on stuff like that when I go shopping. I suppose I could look, but actually, I think I’d better go to Home Depot instead. Yes. In fact, there are a few things I need from Home Depot, and I didn’t get them when I was there yesterday. Right. Home Depot it is. They have the best selection of cleaning fluids anyway. Much better than boring old Dillon’s.

Ooh, cleaning fluids! I wonder if any will be on special offer. I could really stock up. Oh, except we’re moving in 5 weeks’ time… But I’m sure we’ll use lots before then. Yes, I’ll stock up. Cleaning fluids… I wonder if they’re anywhere near the wood varnishes… or perhaps the high-powered solvents… paint-strippers… ant-killers… lawn fertilizers… mmm… so much to look at…

Home Depot… I’d better check out the tools while I’m there… Makes sense. Tools! Gadgets! Aisles full of them… Aaaah…

Home Depot… I wonder if HomeBase still exists in Britain. I can’t really imagine life in Britain without it. And B&Q! Oh yes! B&Q! Ooh, fun… Those super-size trolleys… I think I might still have my reward card in an old wallet somewhere. I wonder if my points are still valid. There are probably some really essential new pieces of DIY equipment in B&Q these days. I could have a look online. See what’s there. And if I see anything that would be really useful, I could check out if Home Depot has the equivalent. Cheaper to buy it here. Like that axe I got recently. Don’t know why Iota found that funny. Really useful thing to have. Our house has an open fire, and is right next to some woods. I’ll be using an axe. Definitely made sense. Wonder what else we need. Yes… Before I go, I’ll just have a look at the B&Q website and get an idea of prices.

.

11 comments:

  1. Brilliant, I love it! Best of luck with the move

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine would be like yours and the Ball & Chain's would be - "Bathroom cleaner. Corner shop (most expensive in the area). don't even think about anything else we might need. Job done."

    ReplyDelete
  3. MrLogical believes that putting things in a row neatly or pushing them up against the wall = cleaning. No bathroom cleaner needed, but all items would be neatly lined up waiting for me to cope with them later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah...men and DIY shops. What is it about that? I just want to be in and out as quickly as possible, before the children go too nuts. He will spend hours browsing for different kinds of lightbulb, extension plugs and garden shears. I used to dread those visits to Homebase - we don't go as much here, because we're renting, but no holiday weekend can pass without a trip to IKEA.
    Happy cleaning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes to homebase, yes to B&Q, and yes to lots of good bookshops and cafes in Edinburgh! And Waitrose....

    Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll meet you for coffee in Waterstones any time you fancy :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, and bathroom cleaner? You have a husband who knows what bathroom cleaner is for???

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband has an amazing ability to buy lampshades, light bulbs, pot plans and fertiliser. He never does anything with any of them mind, but he likes to buy them in case the end of the world comes and we are not well lit while potting our plants. Hope the move is going well. And I'll pop up from York on a train and meet you in Edinburgh in bookshops

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband goes to the grocery store and buys four deli items ( green olives, obscure lettuce etc) and comes home to a house with no milk and toilet paper.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't remember the last time my husband bought cleaning stuff - apart from the stuff for his car.

    ReplyDelete