Friday, May 4, 2012

Finest parenting moments

The other day, at dinner, 11-yo stood up, in order better to access his trouser pocket, and grinning, fished a many-times-folded piece of paper out. He handed it to me, and it took a while to unpeel the layers. When I did so, I recognised the homework I'd helped him type out the night before. 


Fifth Grade had been set the task of writing a poem, titled Springtime. He'd done that, and then a couple of evenings later, they'd been given back their texts, and asked to type them out - for display purposes. When he sat down at the computer, it was late, he was tired, and I thought the point of the assignment was creative writing rather than typing practice, so I said I'd type it for him. It took me no time at all (I'm a touch typer).


Ladies and Gentleman, for your delectation and delight, here is the poem that he submitted to his teacher, (which describes his memories of his grandmother's garden).

Springtime
By 11-yo

When I look outside my window, I see lush green grass and tall trees. I see purple flowers with yellow and red. There are pink blossoms in the trees and thorns on the branches. There is a vine of colourful flowers climbing down the brick wall of the house.

Sometimes there are rabbits, birds, squirrels, and deer. I can see the farm next door, and hear the cows mooing. There are young sparrows chirping in the tall trees.

The sky is blue and speckled with puffy shit clouds, and birds flying high in the air. The sun is shining with puffs of wind swaying the tree branches.

One word had been circled by the teacher, with the comment "oops" written above. Have you spotted it? Luckily, she has a good sense of humour, and thought it was very funny. She made it into a joke between herself and 11-yo, not to be shared with the rest of the class, and she and he had a good laugh privately about it (you have to remember that Americans are much more offended by this kind of bad language than Brits, so this is a much bigger deal here). When she and I emailed about it, she said that actually, what had amused her most was that when she first pointed it out to 11-yo, he told her I'd "helped him" type it, rather than saying I'd typed it. Which only goes to show that as an exercise in choosing words carefully, the poetry homework had served its purpose.

And here's a little secret addendum to the story, between you, and me, and 11-yo, which I didn't confess to his teacher. I originally typed it as puffy shite clouds, noticed, had a laugh with 11-yo, and then corrected it. But I wasn't paying attention, and my subconscious obviously spotted an opportunity for a bit of a joke at the expense of my conscious. Damn you, Subconscious, though I like your style.

.

9 comments:

  1. Why is Blogger putting such a big gap between my paragraphs? Can I do anything about it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No idea about the gaps but love the story!
    J xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. So was it supposed to be "white"? yes. So instead of dealing with the "s" you just lopped off the "e". Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Potato, tomato, puffy shit or shite - that stuff is pure Hemingway-esque. You made my day too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And what is it about mothers and homework, anyway? One of my Mum's greatest life achievements has been to get a poem published in the school magazine. Under my name, age 9, of course...
    J xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol lol lol!
    That is just so funny!
    As a teacher myself(though not of English!), i think 11 y-o's teacher has indeed a great sense of humour...just as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad his teacher had a sense of humor. I would have enjoyed that one myself! It's always nice to come across something out of the ordinary when you're faced with grading a stack of papers.
    And I must say, I love the description - I could just imagine what the view from Grandma's window looked and sounded like!

    ReplyDelete