Friday, May 11, 2012

Blogging, 1883 style

When I was at my mother's house last summer, she showed me a diary that was kept by my grandmother's aunt (is that my great-great-aunt?). It dates from 1883. One of my cousin's had typed it up, though my mother has the original.


I think you'll enjoy it. Bessie and her sister Rachel (my great-grandmother) had been brought up in Edinburgh. Bessie got to know a young medical student, George, who lived in Antigua, and had come to Edinburgh for his medical training. They became engaged, and he returned to Antigua. The diary tells the story of her journey to join him, to be married.


I first read it last summer, soon before returning back here. It gave me pause for thought of course, how different it was in 1883, when leaving was truly leaving. No email, no phone, no Skype. Now I've read it again, and I find it strangely circular that Bessie and Rachel grew up in Edinburgh, because that's where I'm headed next (I've been coy about telling you specifically where I'm moving to, but I think you might as well know). I love the language - old and quaint. Some of the things she says are the kind of thing an old-fashioned me might have said - or am I just imagining that, because I want to feel a connection to her? 


I'll edit a little as I go, but I find it hard to take anything out - it's all pretty interesting. The italics in parentheses are my comments, but I've kept them to a minimum. 


Oh, and one last thing. I'm going to let you in on a fact that Bessie didn't know about her future. You'll pick up from her letter how hard she found it to leave her sister Rachel. Well, she needn't have worried. Rachel found herself her own student from Antigua, Ralph, who came to Edinburgh to train as a lawyer. She married him, and joined Bessie and George in Antigua. It almost feels like cheating, to know that while reading the journal, but I thought you'd like to know.


Here's the first instalment.


S.S. Medway
Lat. 38.47 N – Long 22.W

Feb 21st. 1883

My Voyage to the West Indies

Sat. 17th inst.

Left Uncle Ralph’s at 6.30 in the morning for Waterloo Sta:. Janet Harrison [Bessie’s cousin] & Rachel [Bessie's older sister] accompanying me. Uncle Harry was waiting patiently for us – he brought with him a beautiful Bible for me, which I prize very much. Mr. Bain & Mr. Muir had just left the station, thinking I would leave by an earlier train, as I had intended. They had to be in time for business so were compelled to leave without seeing me. I was very sorry I did not see them to wish them Good-bye. The train left for Southampton at 8.5 a.m. It was a very tiresome journey, as neither Rachel nor I felt very bright. On arriving at Southampton, Mr. Reith was waiting for us. I don’t know what we should have done without him; he was extremely kind & saw my luggage and everything right; for which I was very thankful. We went out in a tender to the ‘Medway’ & lunched there, Mr. Reith, Rachel & all those who were seeing their friends off joining us in the repast.

As the time of our departure drew near I could scarcely express my feelings. I only knew I was leaving dear old England perhaps for ever, & all those who had been so dear to me, for a foreign clime. I felt as though my heart would break but I dare not encourage it. We ‘lifted’ our anchor at 3.30 p.m. & as dear Rachel & Mr. Reith got on board the little tender, the ‘Medway’ moved quietly away – I started my first trip across the Atlantic. Wind rather fresh & my feelings far from so. [I love that sentence.] We reached the ‘Needles’ at 5.30 where our pilot left us. By this time dinner was ready. I had no sooner seated myself at the table, than I had to rise & go to my cabin. I was so ill. (I had the cabin all to myself). I lay there prostrate, more dead than alive, not caring for anything. I tried to get up on Monday but was only too thankful to tumble in again. However, I succeeded on Tuesday & went in to dinner for the first time. I soon began to get my strength back again.

Among the passengers, numbering about 80 in the Saloon and 14 or 15 children, there are some 16 ladies, two brides & bridegrooms, two twice chosen wives & ‘half a bride’ as I am described. The ‘Swells’ on board include Lord Combermere & his son, Major-Gen. McNeil, K.C.B., Col. Nugent, the Governor of Grenada & Dr. Freeland (the gentleman whom George has been acting for while on his visit to England), his wife & little girl. They are taking out an assistant, Dr. Davis & his wife, just two weeks married. She is a very nice person & we have become great friends. They always wait for me every where they go & will live about ¾ of an hour’s drive from ‘Longlane’ (my home to be). Then there is a Dr. Boyd and his wife, also newly married, who are going to St Vincent; Mr. Musson & his nephew have just been on a visit to England & are going back to Barbados. Mr. Goodhard, a very nice gentleman (on a pleasure trip for two months) always takes me in to dinner. We have a very nice company at our table. Mr Bicknell is retired & travels about for pleasure. He is also an astronomer & very clever, & has with him a great number of splendid instruments.

We have had marvellous weather, the passage being the driest on record for the time of year though the ship rolls greatly.

We have splendid living on board – a cup of tea in bed at 6 o’clock in the morning; then breakfast at 9 o’clock with three or four courses, & always potatoes; then dinner at 5 o’clock with eight or nine courses & tea at half past seven. Nothing but sleeping, eating & lounging about. There are very few people on board writing a ‘diary’, strange to say you can scarcely settle your mind to write on board ship, & besides it rolls so, the pen always seems inclined to slide right down the paper.

I wonder how all the dear ones at home are – if they could only see me in my little cabin. My port is open & I can hear the water splashing up against the ship. My thoughts are far away – cannot write more today.

.

14 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the first instalment. I think the language is a bit more formal than how we would write our blog posts today but it is still an interesting read.

    Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved reading this Iota. It seems so though-out, as though each word were mulled over before being committed to the page.
    I laughed at "if they could only see me in my little cabin"...nowadays the picture would be on FB for all to see before the anchor had been lifted!!
    Look forward to the next instalment, have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is fantastic Iota - a real piece of history. Fascinating. Am looking forward to reading more.

    I love that slightly old fashioned style of writing too. I think it always sounds as though the author is taking great care over their words - and that is something I can always appreciate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh...I love this kind of writing! What an adventure for her. I wonder....what exactly is a 'twice-chosen' wife? A widow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm assuming the same as you. A widow who is remarrying. It's a lovely turn of phrase.

      Delete
  5. How lovely. And what an adventure! My Granny left the UK by ship to marry my Grandpa in South Africa during the war. She had her passport stamped "not to return until the war is over" and didn't know if she'd ever return. Indeed her ship was pursued by German u-boats at sea and she never saw her parents again.

    How much has changed.

    I look forward to reading more. What marvellous family history!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So interesting to read - is there more?. Funnily enough I have connections in Antigua too - my grandfather grew up there, and his ancestors emigrated from Madeira.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you think your grandfather knew my grandmother? I bet it was a small society.

      Delete
  7. Loved it. Especially hearing about "The Swells". Priceless.
    I have to say, although it wasn't quite that "final" when I moved to the States in 1990, there was no Internet, and phone calls were very expensive. Still, we had lots of air miles so I was able to go back for my brother's and sister's weddings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely, thanks so much for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. A fascinating read. I tried to comment on this yesterday on my new iPad and it failed to work so that's new technology for you. It's incredible these diaries have survived so long isn't it? Amd it's interesting to read what it was like crossing the Atlantic before planes came along. Funnily enough I'm about to write a blog post about family history as I've been doing a lot of research about my family recently. And what strikes a chord with me here is that I've just found out my Great Great Grandfather sailed to the US about 1886, a very similar time to your relation (he came back again).

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband's granny did the same, kept her diary of her life in India, of her husband being missing in Burma in WW2 & of her having to escape wth her 2 children, got the last plane out, & then going by boat to England. German u boats sank the boat ahead & the boat behind. They stopped off in South Africa en route home, & finding post war England very gloomy etc eventually went back to Cape Town where they lived & wher emy husband's dad was educated. her diaries are utterly fascinating. I just wish there had been some on my side of the family. I feel I know so mch more about his family than mine!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was particularly intrigued as I'm from the Caribbean. I made the journey to England to study and stayed because I married a English man. You're right, that sense of "for ever" is lost on us today. I've been home almost every year since I moved here. No sailing for me. Lovely post and a cracking idea.

    ReplyDelete