Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Blogging, 1883 style: Part lll

Bessie continues her journey. The initial excitement has worn off, and this is a week of mixed emotions. I have left unedited some politically incorrect terminology.

Feb. 25th (Sunday)
Had a run of 270 miles – temperature 73 degrees. Saw the drill of all the sailors on deck, & afterwards retired to the Saloon where Divine Service was read by the Captain, followed by a discourse by a dissenting Minister on board. In the evening a tropical storm got up, accompanied by thunder & lightning, the latter being extremely brilliant & appalling.

Had a few hymns – “Eternal Father, strong to save”, & some others which I enjoyed exceedingly.

Feb. 26th
Run today 283 miles. Tremendous storm on – sea washing the decks – everybody sick & miserable. The captain imagines that the storm is the tail end of one raging in more northern latitudes. Strong sun & almost cloudless sky. I spent the whole day in my cabin, I did feel so ill again. Indeed it takes me all my time to write, the ship rolls so fearfully that it makes it a great effort. Any amount of flying fish to be seen. Last night one flew on deck & was captured. It is quite a treat to hear the poor sailors calling out, after eight o’clock when all is dark, “All’s well”, at every half hour & hour. Looking over into the water there is quite a flame of phosphorescence.

Feb. 27th
Run 296 miles. Nothing very special today – lounging about, talking, & eating is about all one can find to do. Temperature 76 degrees. It is so pretty to see every one in their light costumes – I wear my pink, it does look pretty. Fancy in February – I wonder how England & Scotland are looking.

Feb 28th
Run 291 miles. Weather nice & warm – such a splendid breeze. I like it immensely & the passengers seem all sorry that our voyage will soon be at an end. The “nigger entertainment” came off tonight & was great fun. Miss Usher, Mrs. Davis and myself have been very busy all day stitching up the most remarkable costumes & sewing on paper cuffs & collars. Every one seemed to enjoy it immensely & we had a proper laugh. A few of the officers took part.

March 1st
Run 297 miles. Every body is very busy this morning packing up &c., as we expect to arrive at Barbados tomorrow morning. I do feel so strange when I think I shall see my darling so soon. We are to have our photos taken today by one of the passengers. A dance was got up this evening & the deck was all hung round with lamps. The ship was gliding along so beautifully & the sea was like a sheet of glass.


.

5 comments:

  1. The seasickness sounds horrible, but the dances and concerts sound wonderful!
    I do hope she keeps up with her diary after she arrives - I'm so curious to hear her impressions of Barbados.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adventure for her. Like Caroline, I can't wait to hear her impressions of Barbados.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just amazing! I love this sort of thing, it brings it all to life. The one thing I can never get over is how stoic people were in those days putting up with things I would have a hissing fit at!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Warm weather in February! Imagine!
    I'm just thinking that the fear of the rolling around on the high seas must be the same as my fear of air turbulence. It literally nauseates me. Awful.
    The other thing that struck me was doing less than 300 miles per day. My what a long journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so gentle & soothing to read & such elegant, simple, spare writing. Love it.

    ReplyDelete