Wednesday, May 23, 2012

"You saved my life"

Today I went to say goodbye to my doctor. I think technically it was an annual well woman appointment, but that was just the cover story. I like my doctor so much, and find him so easy to talk to, that after I'd been through breast cancer, I got him to remove three moles from my back. That was a good 20-30 minutes chat time, lying on my front on a table. If I had grown up with a health service which allows more than 10 minutes for a visit to the GP, I could probably have just made an appointment and said "I want to ask lots of things about cancer that I wasn't able to focus on at the time", but I still have a residual vaguely guilty feeling about wasting a GP's time if you're not actually dying, and so I pleaded suspicious moles instead. Two of them were normal, but one of them was pre-cancerous, which just shows that the lab technician who analysed them didn't know his or her Latin, because actually it was post-cancerous.

Anyway, I got quite mushy in the Doctor's Office. I walked in at 9.00am, and there was one person sitting in the waiting room. What's up, I wonder? Isn't anyone ill any more these days? What are they all doing with themselves? Being healthy? So I thought to myself "Oh good, he'll have time to chat", and indeed he did. I told him all about moving to Scotland, and asked about what records would be useful to copy and take. Apparently all of them (or it's easier for the medical records people to copy the lot, rather than riffle through and pick out the juicy bits). So no doubt I'll have a few box loads of paper to replace the stuff I'm daily throwing out as we sort our house contents in preparation for the move. In these electronic days, it is unbelievable the amount of paperwork that the medical world generates. I sign a form every time I go to that office to say that none of my details have changed: address, telephone number, insurer, date of birth, etc... Hang on a minute. Why is my date of birth on there? How could that possibly change?

Of course one of the tricky things about saying goodbye to a GP, is that you don't know for sure you're not going to see him again - unless you arrange to have the annual well woman appointment on the way to the airport. I feel I've rather tempted fate, by having a closure-y type conversation with him. One of the kids is absolutely bound to get an unusual virus now, aren't they? But I didn't want to just let him do the usual prodding and poking and extracting and be on my way. I wanted to say some things to him, one of which was "You saved my life". I believe that to be true - or at least I believe it to be a real possibility. Of course I won't ever know what would have happened if he'd taken the word of the mammogram radiographer on two separate occasions, and said "you got the all-clear" to me, instead of "I'd really like you to have a second opinion". And you might say he was just doing his job. But there's vigilance and there's vigilance, and I think... well, I said it anyway, and his eyes looked a bit moist at that point.


14 comments:

  1. I had a similar "thank you" experience with the diving doctor who noticed a lump in my abdomen during an annual medical. I next saw him after my treatment and just a few weeks before he retired. His eyes were most definitely looking a bit moist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely that you took the time to thank him. I think people are too quick to point out when things are not to their exact satisfaction, so to get a patient who is grateful and says thank you will I'm sure have made his day.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. My guess is that this is what a lot of physicians hope to accomplish when they first decide to pursue the study of medicine. I imagine that, after endless years of sinus infections, sprained ankles, and tummy bugs, it is wonderful to hear from someone like you that, yes, they have made a significant difference and truly saved someone's life. I'm sure that your comment made his day and will stay with him forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. very poignant. glad you got those moles taken care of, too. i sent you an email about GK. if you don't get it, let me know and i'll resend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet he really appreciated you saying that. It must be strange saying goodbye to someone you've been through it with. But in a way it must present closure as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, er, my eyes were a bit moist reading this too.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fab. Well done you.

    I saw my GP today as well (bumped into him buying milk in LIDL, neither of us remotely embarrassed about being caught in the cheapskate supermarket!) He has just taken a few weeks' sabbatical and around the village people have been muttering about a midlife crisis, and why could he not just buy a motorbike like any normal 50 yo rather than cut his patient list and go trekking in Nepal?

    Anyway, when I was not sure that he would come back (he did, obv) I thought I should have told him that whenever we see him, even if he doesn't instantly solve our problem, we always come away feeling better. I must seek out the opportunity.

    Love
    J xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gulp. I'm sure you made his day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How nice that you were able to go and have that 'final' conversation with him.

    Last year I wrote a thank you note to a medical professional who went above and beyond and made sure I got the care I needed. I had no good excuse to go back to see him, but I wanted him to know that he'd made a difference.

    I hope you find a GP in Scotland that you like as much as this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Iota. I'm just glad you are well and I'm sure he is too. How lovely that you took the opportunity to say thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gulp indeed. I am just really happy for you. You rock, Iota!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gulp indeed. I am just really happy for you. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sure this will be one of the things he remembers when he looks back on his career. I'm a relatively new reader to your blog and yet I got a bit teary reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We have much to be thank full for.
    I think the doctors that help us do get a bit emotional at times. You are his success story! Now you are moving away!
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete