Friday, February 18, 2011

The age of democracies

Well, we've had quite an airing of the practice of telling off, haven't we? I've been reminded of - amongst others - being given what for, being for it, being chewed out, and getting a talking to, a roasting, and a dressing down. I think the most usual American equivalent to telling off is scolding, a word which sounds very Victorian to British ears, (and which I've always found uncomfortably close to scalding).

Now, here's someone to whom I'd like to give a telling off. President Obama's speech writer. The one who put in the line in Obama's China speech that referred to America as "the oldest democracy in the world". Oldest democracy in the world? Excuse me?

Last time I talked about history, I displayed my woefully inadequate knowledge by asserting that Britain doesn't have a written constitution, and apparently we do. It's the Magna Carta. So I don't want to embarrass myself by quoting from my stock of limited historical facts, but surely America isn't the oldest democracy? Come on guys! First up, there's Britain. How can you not count Britain? I suspect it's because you think we're a monarchy and therefore not a proper democracy. And yes, the Queen does sign every Act of Parliament, so I suppose technically she could veto any she didn't like. But it's still a democracy. Trust me. I've lived there. I've voted there.

Even if you don't count Britain (and I can feel a certain rising of the blood pressure as I write that), I think you'll find there have been other democracies, in other times, in other places, which pre-date America's. I'm thinking Ancient Rome. I'm thinking Ancient Greece. I'm thinking I should shut up at this point because I really don't know much about how those societies organised themselves, but I'm pretty sure they elected their leaders.

What about France, for heaven's sake? They had a revolution way back when. They even used three consecutive numbers to make the date easy to remember: 1789. Well done them. Didn't that give them the vote? "Aux armes, Citoyens", and all that. No... no... not Citroens... Citoyens! We're talking democratic rights, not the auto industry.

Perhaps Mr Obama was including Native American democratic practices in his reckoning. If so, I think he overlooked a few teensy weensy facts, because the transition from existing Native American democracies to modern day America's political system wasn't exactly seamless, was it?

So, Mr Obama Speech Writer in the White House in Washington - yes, you standing in the corner with the dunce cap on your head - consider yourself on the receiving end of a right royal chew-ass tongue-lashing roasting what for.

.

14 comments:

  1. You go scold that speech writer. He deserves it. Oldest democracy in the world? Pfffffft.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are talking about the same nation which believes they invented pizza, yes? Because the Etruscans never ate at all, did they?

    Give the speech writer a good hiding from me too please.

    LCM x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, good lord. We even got the WORD "democracy" from the Ancient Greeks! I'm pretty sure they were first.

    Excuse me while I warm up my tongue for a good lashing of that dunce. Hey, I'm an English major and unemployed. Maybe there'll soon be an opening for speech writer? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know! I know! (hand waving feverishly from the back of the room...) It is the Isle of Man (979) followed closely by Iceland (some say 930 but in actual fact it was later in that century...)

    Ha! Stuff that you stupid American speech writer!

    And thank you Google (I was just so intrigued I just had to look it up!) Now I can only wish for this question to present itself in a future pub quiz or game of Trivial Pursuit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicola, I Googled it too, and found Iceland! Yay, Iceland! Though the Ancient Greeks pre-date Iceland, so I don't know who wins on that one.

    I just hope Obama hasn't upset Iceland. They have a volcano and they're not afraid to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe they actually said that! So arrogant......

    Yes, I always thought it came from Ancient Greece. And Ancient Rome, with the senators being elected (although I'm not sure it was totally democratic....they still had slaves after all).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm right up there with the "not totally democratic" notion as well, I mean how can it be a real democracy if it denies the vote to - oh, how about women and black people as well? Then there's the matter of denying prisoners the vote, as well. Which of us lives in a true democracy? One person, one vote, one value? I'm guessing none.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh well said! Hope Obama's speech writer is taking note, although I'm now a little destracted by A Modern Mother's comment - have a missed a swear word somewhere?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. No way is USA the oldest democracy!!!!!!! I think maybe that the country is very insular in that it doesn't really bother too much about other countries affairs. Maybe sheer ignorance on behalf of the speech writer.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  11. Funny that Mr Obama didn't realise...
    PS: Haha, you swore!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. There's a fantastic country song which I heard for the first time in Vegas (baby), which includes the brilliant line "I'm proud to be an American 'cos at least I know I'm free", which, while, totally singalongabletoo (it's a goody, have a listen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55ZFDUvHj-I *) always gets us spluttering: "well, what about all those poor oppressed Swedes, with their awful quality of life...". Admittedly it's a song and not an international speech, but I suspect that Obama's speechwriter fell into the same trap of "it sounds good"....

    *and to be fair, with that video I'd be pretty proud to be an American too (whatever you might think of what he's done (or not done) for the last two years)

    ReplyDelete
  13. i found your post interesting because it led me to google (btw, also read the latest Google/google post!) the history of democracy. Learned something today! You're right that democracy has been in existence for centuries but the USA does predate the French revolution. The Declaration of Independence was signed in 1776 and the Constitution ratified in 1788. This predates the 1789 French Revolution. However, one could argue that the French were knocking around the idea longer than the men in the colonies, it just took them longer to make it official.

    ReplyDelete