Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The eyes have it


Enough already with the tea! (See how American I'm becoming. Not only do I know the lingo, but I can bring myself to express a sentiment that surely, surely no honest-to-goodness Brit would ever genuinely feel.) Yes, time to move the blog on to other matters. Life through the eyes of a first grade girl.

Husband and I are very short-sighted. Physically, not metaphorically. Well, probably metaphorically as well, since we moved to America with neither the intention of staying long-term, nor any return strategy. Americans call it 'near-sighted' if you're talking about eyes, and 'short-sighted' if you're talking about a plan. I think we Brits use 'short-sighted' for both. I don't think we really use the term 'near-sighted'. Oh my goodness, the tolerance that you lovely Bloggy Peeps have for the useless trivia on this blog never fails to astound me.

Anyway, any old way, where was I? Yes. Husband and I are both short-sighted, so no surprise then, that our oldest is already in glasses (he of the perfect teeth, but you can't hope to have everything). 10-yo, has good eyesight, but 6-yo has been complaining about having blurry vision, so I thought we should get her eyes tested. I did take the blurry vision with a pinch of salt though, since there's no evidence that she can't see perfectly well (and her teacher confirmed this). It also just so happens that her best friend's Dad is an optician (or whatever the longer, more complicated term that we're meant to use these days is) and her best friend has just got glasses.

In fact it turns out that glasses are all the rage for girls in first grade. They are desirable, sought after, coveted, fashionable. We have come a long way since my day, when glasses were to be dreaded, and delayed until no amount of screwing up of your eyes could get you to make out the teacher's scrawl on the blackboard. But then glasses are so much better. No more those heavy lenses in unattractive NHS plastic frames, where your only choice was pink, blue, white or tortoiseshell. These days, glasses are lightweight, comfortable, attractive - easy on the eyes in all senses.

So we went along to the optician, and 6-yo had the full range of tests, one small part of which, these days, is reading some letters off a display. When it got to that part, 6-yo managed the big letter at the top confidently, and then stopped. The optician clicked to make the chart bigger... and then bigger... and then bigger... but even when the letters were all huge, 6-yo sat in silence. "Uh oh", I thought, "she's foxing. She really does want to wear glasses. How are we going to get past this?" The optician tried another set of letters, and again, 6-yo managed the first letter, but stalled at the second row, and sat in silence, no matter how much larger the optician made them. She tried one more chart. Still the same pattern - the reading of the first letter and then no more. At this point, 6-yo gave a small shrug and said "I don't think I know these words".

Because in first grade, they're still doing words like about, and under, and should, and they haven't got onto more difficult ones like zfdax, and lvceno. Shame on them.

Well, it turned out that 6-yo has a very slight prescription, but only very slight. The nice optician said they could certainly make up glasses for us, but he said that quite honestly, our best bet was to go to Claire's in the mall, where you can buy non-prescription glasses for $10.00. So that's what we did (and in fact they were $8.50). The upside of this strategy is that we have saved probably a couple of hundred dollars. The downside is that 6-yo now knows of the existence of Claire's, a knowledge which so far I had deliberately kept away from her innocent mind. However, that aside, it was a happy solution. The frames are dark blue, with tiny flowers on them. 6-yo is thrilled with them, and I nearly die of cute attack every time she puts them on. She wears them to school, having sworn me to secrecy on the fact that they're non-prescription (which is the term we prefer to the unkind and metaphysically incorrect 'not real'). She's made a sneaky discovery since she's had them. Turns out that at least one other bespectacled first grade girl is wearing non-prescriptions too. Sshhh...

21 comments:

  1. Wow, I would have done anything to avoid wearing glasses as a child, can't believe they now think it's a good thing! It's good to hear though that kids who have to wear them are not being laughed at as they were when I was little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! - "Nearly died of cute attack" I get that all the time with my daughter, hadn't realised it was a dangerous medical condition. I was that unhappy 10 yr old who had to choose between pink,blue, tortoiseshell or BLACK NHS lenses. (No white in our town- far too avant garde) I cried & cried, I hated them so. I started wearing contacts aged 16, but was so squeamish abt eyes my mum booked the appointment without my knowing & just announced it & took me along an hr later. Best way. Used to take me 45 mins to put them in in the mornings at first. But I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember when I was about that age, I wasn't expected to name the letters, but indicate by pointing in which direction various E's were waving their arms.

    I've had glasses since 6th grade, maybe before, so have very little sympathy for people my age (early 30s) who bemoan their failing eyesight and the suspicion that they may soon require specs for the first time. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Claire's? What is Claire's? Excuse the pun, but I have a blind spot when it comes to shops in malls, it's all a bit too overwhelming for me. I have lived in the UK for six years now and managed to acknowledge the existence of NEXT until I moved right next to one.
    I only started wearing glasses about 10 years ago (it's been that long already??!) with a slight prescription only. But I find that my eyes really really hurt otherwise if I am spending a lot of time in front of the computer. Which I don't do that often. Ahem.
    PS: Of course you are NOT too old for frilly knickers!! I think you can easily pull them off. (haha)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So different from when I was a child and I got seriously behind at school because I wouldn't admit to not being able to see the blackboard.
    Glasses then were ridiculed.
    I feel todays children are very fortunate to have these lovely frames. As for the non prescription as a fashion item...... well that beggars belief!
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha - brilliant - did the optician crack up? I would have, poor wee confused thing. Go girls for wanting to wear geeky glasses, I wonder if it will extend to idiot mittens and balaclavas as fashion accessoris, another 2 things I put a lot of effort I refusing to wear!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sigh. Thank god I have you to tell me what it's like to have a daughter... (Another sigh...)

    ReplyDelete
  8. rofpmsl. Love her.

    I've not had a cute attack from a girl - get them from the boy all the time. Wrong sorta daughter I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had no idea that glasses were so cool. That explains why Littleboy 1 wanted them. He had an eye test at school which suggested near-sightedness (thank you for that, i had no idea), so we took him off to get his eyes tested. I was dreading him wearing glasses, as he would be bound to break/lose them, but he was really keen to get them. However, it turned out he didn't need them after all. (Not sure Claire's would have an option for him, so I am quite relieved!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it may have been cheaper to buy her proper glasses than expose her to the evils of Claire's! The girls in my son's class wear the most amazing outfits - they always look far more coordinated than me and yesterday one girl had full on eye make up. Yikes! Makes me feel very lvceno!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My sis and I had reading glasses at primary school (which apparently we should never have been prescribed). Initially they were the dreaded pink NHS ROUND glasses. In revolt, we used to take off the pink plastic to reveal the metal rims underneath. They looked pretty cool unitl we realised that the pink plastic actually kept the lenses from falling out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh, Claires! Such a treasure trove, but at least it is cheap! How funny that they sell glasses, I had no idea.I bet she looks adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both my American kiddos have glasses - which they were very excited about. Now that we live in the UK, there is no question it is not cool. Bummer. Great 'insights' :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute story, and reminds me that I'm glad my now 17 year old daughter never was the "Claire's" type. Dodged a bullet there.

    I found your blog through expat circles about two weeks ago and just got caught up. As an American married to a Scotsman and living half the year in Brazil, your writing has been fun for me to read and touches home often. Glad you're blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So funny, maybe the lines of letters are meant to be words after all? I need to find out what a NFEDG is now. I went to the opticians just last weekend and was delighted to be told that I am now less short-sighted than before. Until my Dad told me that's just age and you become far-sighted as well. And wear bifocals. Great.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Isn't it great that glasses are so fashionable these days not only for the young but also the not so young :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This story was wonderful! I have been hounded by my 7-year-old daughter for months now about glasses. I never thought of Claires! Thank you for the tip. Now she will not be the "only girl in her class without glasses!" (Bit of a Drama Queen). I honestly could care less if that were true, but it will help my piece of mind!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Too cute! When I was that age, I was so embarassed to be the only kid with glasses that I would hide them in the house or in my bag so that nobody could find them and make me put them on. I love that they're now a fashion trend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. No WAY!!! Crap, I hope that's the same over here, the chances of Charlie getting away without specs is probably in the negative percentages given that between the frog and I, our siblings and parents there is not a single person who hasn't needed glasses from childhood...

    I developed lines in my forehead at a very young age; I squinted until I was 11 to avoid specs and if I hadn't needed them I might have wounded someone if they suggested I get a non-prescription pair...

    ReplyDelete
  20. So sweet. Johnny Drama is desperate to wear glasses. like his brother. They had a standard eye test at school the other day. When I asked him how it went he very solemnly told me that he did very well but it is definite - he needs glasses immediately. He then called his dad in America to tell him the same. Of course, the poor lad actually has 20:20 vision - but if he could will his eyes to deteriote, he would focus (boom-boom) on it night and day...

    ReplyDelete