Sunday, February 27, 2011

Mummy guilt

I have been thinking recently about guilt (she says darkly and mysteriously). One of the main ways I come across guilt is that syndrome known to all us mummy bloggers: Mummy Guilt. Here is what I think we should all do about Mummy Guilt (and I include myself as a prime culprit): stop it!

Mummy Guilt is actually a misnomer, if you think about it. It’s not really proper guilt, is it? It’s not guilt as in “I’ve done something that is ethically and/or morally wrong, and I feel remorse” is it? It’s an indistinct sense of inadequacy. It’s the feeling of being not good enough. And… (drum roll at this point, as you all wait for Iota’s pearl of wisdom to drop from your computer screen and roll across the table onto your lap)… of course we’re not good enough, because that is part of the human condition. In fact, here is a paradox (ooh, I love paradoxes). If you were the perfect parent, you wouldn’t be a good parent, because you wouldn’t be preparing your child for a world where people are imperfect. Ta-da! Mummy Guilt solved.

I think we English speakers need a few more words to cover the guilt spectrum. I’m told that in other languages, there is a bigger vocabulary for the thing that we gather under one guilt umbrella (though of course we are good at gathering things under umbrellas, what with our climate being the way it is). Guilt, inadequacy, shame… we tend to put it all in the same basket. The basket that’s keeping dry under the umbrella. So Misnamed Mummy Inadequacy gets in with proper “I’ve committed a heinous crime: guilty as charged, M’Lud, life sentence coming my way” guilt. That’s a bit of a pity, if you ask me. Just makes us mummies feel even worse, labouring under such a weighty term. So, if you’re a passing linguist, perhaps you’d like to toss in your ha’penny worth. In the murky recesses of my memory, I catch a glimmer of a recollection that someone once told me that Russian is good in the guilt arena. Any passing Russian-speaking bloggers?

This is what I notice about Mummy Guilt. We confess to it for random irrelevant things. Things like not taking home-made mince pies to the school Christmas party, or helping your child do her homework ten minutes before you have to leave for school because you forgot about it the night before. Everyone knows that shop-bought mince pies taste nicer, and that you are doing your child a big favour if you are developing in her the ability to produce a piece of work quickly at the last minute and make it look like you spent hours over it. That is an indispensable life skill, if I ever saw one.

Here’s another thing I’ve spotted. Mothers feel bad about not always putting their children first, and sometimes putting themselves first. They know, however, that they must bring up their children to be sensitive to other people’s needs and wants, and not to be selfish. Another paradox. Yum! Why does pursuing the first half make us feel guilty (ie putting ourselves first), and not the second half?

I have plenty more to say on the subject of guilt (dark, mysterious) but I’m going to stop now, because it is 10.30pm on a Sunday night, and I’ve had at least one glass of red wine and am ready for bed, or at the very least a hot bath, and still haven’t come to a satisfactory conclusion on whether 13-yo can do soccer AND tennis in the last quarter of the school year, or whether one sport is enough, and whether we are going to be able to be fair to the younger two children and treat them all the same as they grow up if we set the bar as ridiculously high as to allow for TWO sports as well as TWO musical instruments, and talking of setting the bar high, would perhaps track (that’s 'athletics' or 'field events' to you British readers, at least I think so, I can't really remember any longer - it's not something I ever talked about very much when I lived in the UK) be a better option than tennis anyway since the school has recommended it as a help in transitioning from the middle school to the upper school because the two teams train together? and thinking that whatever we decide, this one issue will seriously scar them all, the three of them, for life, and therefore I am a TERRIBLY BAD MOTHER.

20 comments:

  1. I'm not that passing Russian-speaking blogger, I'm afraid since I cancelled my lesson this morning to catch up on the laundry mountain following our holiday. Excellent post though, especially since I am feeling plenty of guilt right now; for example in not measuring up as superwoman and having done all the laundry already, not prioritising academic issues over domestic, needing to have the lessons in the first place, the amount of money they cost...Oh, I could go on and on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sitting a hotel room in Tokyo while my husband takes care of the kids so scoring highly on the guilt factor right now. At least they have a good father, I guess! I did go on a guilt ridden rampage at the hello kitty store, so I expect I'll be forgiven!

    It is true though, the miasma of guilt just hangs over everything we do. I try to keep it at bay, but some days it's hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's just a given that most mothers will feel guilt no matter what they do. Go to work, feel guilty for leaving the kids; stay at home, feel guilty for not being bringing in the money; Have time to yourself, feel guilty for not doing stuff for the family; spend all your time devoted to the family, feel guilty that you're not being the best person you can be.
    Guilt, it's just totally ingrained in us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love the idea of doing stuff at the last second being a valuable life skill. how right you are! my parents raised 10 kids, gave us no attention (but lots of books, a roof over our head, three squares a day) and felt no guilt. we all turned out just fine. i think this guilt thing is a fairly new phenomenon, and i think you're right that it would be to everyone's benefit if mothers could just turn it off. good luck with that....

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're going to feel guilty whatever. Re extra curricular stuff, our kids get shipped to a maximum of one sport, one Scouting/Guiding and swimming lessons till they can swim 100m minimum. That keeps them fit, teaches them co-operation and leadership, and makes sure they won't drown. One instrument if wanted, preferably during school hours. Then if we can fit other stuff in, generally if it is straight after school so I don't need to ship them about, I will accommodate that. But as daughter's sport involves 4 hours a week plus the odd tournament, that is minimal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with everything you said except one thing which I vehemently disagree about: home made mince pies DO taste INFINITELY better than shop bought ones!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to agree with Paradise on the mince pies.
    On everything else, YES. I feel permanently guilty. Perhaps we should call Mummy Guilt 'Milt'. A bit like MILF, except not as glamorous.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yup, bought mince pies do taste nicer. Now I'm feeling guilty for not being more grateful about the ones my mother makes every year. And 'guilt' can transfer up the chain as well as down, don't you find?

    ReplyDelete
  10. As we discussed, I'm having problems about attending CyberMummy right now because it means I'll have to come over without the kids (again) and it's at a busy time, and yada, yada, yada.
    I like to think I don't have a lot of guilt after 20 years of marriage and 18 years of parenting, but I do still put them first. On the other hand I'm lucky enough to have a morning's help with the housework and a woman who cooks two meals a week for me. I feel no guilt about that whatsoever as it makes me a better person, and that's good for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mhmmm. The concept of mummy guilt as such doesn't exist in Germany/Austria/Switzerland. Of course, you are constantly feeling that no matter how you do it, you can't make it right - but we wouldn't say that we are 'guilty' as such. It's a very strong word and feels a bit weird to a foreigner.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I've learned to conquer my guilt you know. Hopping on a boat going across the ocean leaving your 3 and 5 year old children behind with a women they don't know will sort of bring mummy guilt to a large and pustulent head, and then it's over. So I get the odd twinge now and then, but mainly I think: I'm doing ok. Incidentally, perhaps I should get off the web and go play with them...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Newest Follower!
    <3 your blog!
    Stopping by from:
    http://madeofsnails.blogspot.com/
    &
    http://staceylovesscents.blogspot.com/

    I hope you will follow me back :)
    I have some great giveaways going right now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. PERFECT timing, it's like you read my mind and wrote this! Only, I'm not the one feeling guilty right now, but my neighbour (and a good friend). She is a fantastic mother with all kinds of patience and energy fir her kids, and she really connects with them in a way that I just didn't at that age. But I worry that her guilt--or probably more accurately (in this case) her anxiety about doing the right thing for the kids all the time is placing a pretty big wedge between her and her husband. It is really distressing to me.

    I realised a long time ago that 'perfect mothering' is a crazy phrase. Making sure that my daughter feels loved and supported is the number one thing and can make up for a whole gambit of mothering flaws. I still feel guilt, but I cope with it better now.

    ...you're inspiring a post in me I think...! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What about the guilt of not being able to remember what "guilt" is in Russian (vinost - i just looked it up) and therefore by extension "wasting" your degree and four years of your life and and and....?

    Actually none of that is the guilt I'm getting at the moment. That's more the existential "I'm so lucky to have this life, I should be appreciating it more and trying to make it better for more people sort".

    You're right. We need more words. I looked vinost up in the monolingual dictionary by the way, and it didn't point me to a million different sorts of vinost, so maybe it wasn't Russian after all. Or maybe I just need a bigger dictionary.

    ReplyDelete
  16. not much to add other than Spot on, really!
    love the take on last minute homework LOL

    ReplyDelete
  17. I quite agree. The homework thing reminds me of why I convince myself that consistency in parenting is a Really Bad Thing. When in life do you ever come across anyone who is consistently fair/follows up on what they say, says exactly what they mean in very clear terms, warns of Consequences which in fact happen etc? The world is a random, flaky, unfair, unexpected place, and the sooner they learn that from their flaky inconsistent but full of love mummy/mommy the better!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ha! I am actually a linguist, but my brain is switched off for a few years pending my return to the world of work after the baby-phase. So, nope, can't help you I'm afraid.

    As for my own mummy guilt, I have tons of it, but I have got over the "taking care of myself" guilt because I realise that it's just too important. Whenever I take care of myself a bit better, I end up being a much better mother anyway. The only thing I'm berating myself for today (so far - it's still early) is thinking of expletives at the end of naptime, rather than "hurray I get to pick my baby up again." Oh, and forgetting the older children's serpentines on the piano so they're at school for carnaval without them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree with some of the other comments. That it's natural to feel guilty because that is part of the bond that binds us to our children. If we didn't feel guilty about how we brought them up that suggests we don't care very much and would be happy to even abandon them and not feel guilty about that either. And because we feel endlessly guilty we're ever-bound to our children because we're always thinking 'one day I'll make it up to them and be the perfect mother'. That day doesn't arrive though.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ladies as a Daddy of 3 teenagers you need to ease up on yourselves !!

    For example my wife works, on Tuesday night she went to aqua-aerobics with her friend, I ran the kids to their youth activity, came home and made a Chilli for Thursdays evening meal. My wife is devoted to the kids but she is also human being that needs her own space and time to learn, grow, relax or just keep fit, as do we all. Parenting is a marathon not a sprint, a job we never get released from, so you have to pace yourself.
    Its funny how we compare ourselves to a composite of everyone else. For example x takes her kids to the park, y takes her kids to tennis, z makes 3 course meals every night. Before long we thing we should be doing ALL of the above because x,y and z are, when in fact everyone else is only doing part of what we imagine is right.

    Take time for yourself, name 2 things you have done for your kids today not 2 things you haven't !

    RJRDaydreamer

    ReplyDelete