Saturday, February 5, 2011

“You must come round for coffee”: Part ll

I’ve just watched the film Made in Dagenham, and – perhaps I’ve been away from England too long – I was struck by just how often the people offer each other a cup of tea (except the Secretary of State for Employment, who offers sherry – I expect the film-makers were trying to make a point, though I can’t think what it is). Great film, by the way. Well worth going to see.

Here is Part ll of my attempt to make sense of this phenomenon for Americans.

When we Brits make conversation, there are some subtle differences to the way you Americans do it. You pick these up as signs of us being reserved, or unfriendly, but I don’t believe they are. Not usually, and almost certainly not, if someone has invited you into their home. You make so much more eye contact than we do when you talk. In my early days in the US, I felt mildly uncomfortable all the time in conversation, because people were holding my eyes far too much. I probably came across to them as very shifty – always moving my eyes to left or right, or dropping them. Often I still find conversation with a new person a bit intense. It feels to me not so much like a chat, as an interrogation. We British women need to let our eyes wander, and you see, if we have a cup of tea in our hands, it makes it easier. We can lose eye contact regularly, when we take a sip. Even if we’re not sipping, the cup we’re holding provides us with an easy place to divert our gaze. It just makes it more comfortable for us. Saves us having to wander our eyes round the room.

What about those embarrassing silences? We need a distraction for those. When there’s a silence, we take a sip, or we give the drink a stir, or we warm our hands round the mug, maybe clinking our wedding ring against it. It turns the awkwardness of the silence into a companionable moment.

Another reason we need a prop is this. It’s because we don’t know what to do with our hands, if they’re not holding a cup (and thank you to Michelloui for pointing this one out to me). Knowing what to do with idle hands is something you do well. We don’t. If I’m sitting talking without something to hold, I invariably fidget with my hair, or my clothes, or the chair. In a formal situation like an interview, I have to make a conscious effort to keep my hands still in my lap. You don’t seem to have this problem. I’ve observed this in your children. They are comfortable standing with their hands by their sides when they’re on stage singing, reciting, or just watching and listening. That was always something that felt so awkward to me as a child. I always wanted to clasp my hands in front of me, or behind, or put them in pockets. I’ve observed it in your teenagers too. They don’t fold their arms in that classic defensive posture that ours adopt. How do you manage to feel so at ease with your manual appendages? Have mercy on us, when we need a simple mug to occupy our awkward hands.

American ladies, I hope I’ve helped you understand the whole complicated deal behind the hot drink compulsion. It’s our equivalent of the toddler’s comfort blanket. We just feel lost without it. No doubt you could wean us off it, with a sticker chart on the fridge door, or by telling our friends and neighbours in front of us what big girls we are now. But it would be kinder just to let us continue. There are worse habits. Think of it this way: at least if a hot drink is on offer, there’ll usually be a biscuit for you too.

For more on this subject, please go to Michelloui's blog, The American Resident, where she has posted an answer to my reflections. And then for a pithy one-liner which will make you laugh, try this link here.

.

20 comments:

  1. Not only have you explained the situation to the American ladies..... you have also helped me to see why we need to have a cup of tea in our hands.
    You are certainly right!
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's another anecdote to make you laugh: a few years ago I came off my motorbike (yeah, I know, I know, no lecturing please, it was an emergency stop thanks to a twat of a driver).
    Whilst my first thoughts were (not necessarily in this order), "Can I move my arms/legs/head/other bits?" and "What state is my bike in? (answer: sad)", the first thing I was asked when I got to my feet was... you guessed it...
    "Would you like a cup of tea?"

    I will refrain from publishing my answer here.

    LCM x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great post Iota! It is complicated, isn't it?!

    I had to laugh at London City Mum's comment--when I happened upon an accident in the UK many years ago one thing that I really remember was not so much the blood (there wasn't much) or the shock on the victims' faces, but that a Dr who was with us told a bystander who lived nearby 'could you make them a couple of mugs of sweet tea?' I heard that and almost brayed like a donkey with laughter. Of course I didn't, recognising the need for a bit of solemnity. But another Dr later explained that sweet tea is good for shock.

    So many stories and rituals surrounding the tea leaf.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A cup of tea is the cure for everything in England, as LCM discovered...

    It always makes me think of Beatrix Potter & the tale of Mrs Tiggywinkle. We had a record of the story when I was little and she sang a song about sorting everything out with a 'good, hot, strong, cup of tea'!'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. up on the iron range of northern minnesota, you will be invited for "coffeeand." i can't tell you how many interviews i did as a reporter that involved coffee, or coffeeand. ("coffeeand" would be coffee and something else, usually some kind of pastry.)

    we like our hot drinks here, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Coffeeand"? They really say that as a word? I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Iota, I love this stuff. It's great that you have the sensitivity & insight to pick up on these differences and a real knack for describing them without alienating anybody. I'm fascinated by your observations about how we tend to hold ourselves and our hands differently.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been rewatching the entirety of the TV show M*A*S*H (a 1970s show set in 1950s Korea, just in case you didn't know) lately, in broadcast order. In one episode, the US doctors complain loudly about British soldiers with belly wounds being given tea - due to the tea seeping out into the abdominal cavity and causing infection. So I find the above comments about collision victims being given tea interesting. :-)

    I've solved "restless hands" by taking up knitting. Almost anywhere I go, I have knitting in my bag and pull it out at restaurants, during conversations, at the cinema, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This makes total sense to me now having been in the UK for several years. It explains why I get funny looks every time I'm offered coffee and say, " No thanks, I'm fine."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Insightful as always & bang on. In the expat years I hosted many Coffee Mornings as Class Mum at our British international school (with kids from 46 countries). The term makes me laugh as Brits always want tea but call it a coffee morning. Then I discovered the Ozzy mums who love their coffee bean called such events Morning Tea. Ain't nowt so queer as folk eh?

    MD x

    ReplyDelete
  11. As a British West Indian married to an American for 20 years (with four children everywhere in between), it is funny to remember the first confusing years conjured up by your post. I found the great leveller was Vodka since it can be disguised as water or laced into tea. After that, the problem of what to do with the hands is further sorted as you use them to save yourself while falling down the ubiquitous American basement.

    ReplyDelete
  12. And to add to LCM and Michelloui - did anyone else get brought sweet tea (without being asked) in the delivery ward? (after the event, not during, clearly) I certainly did. And although I hate sweet tea, there was something about it...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah I think I'm definitely on the British side of this issue...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Couple of things. Making tea (or (real here too) coffee) gives the hostess something to do as well. Much easier to start a conversation while you are doing something else, especially if the content is difficult, or interesting, or less trivial than much of what we all talk about.

    And what about when you pop in to someone else's house and AREN'T offered a coffee/tea? Definitely a message there.

    Finally, I have always understood that it is coffee in the morning and tea in the afternoon in the UK, apart from Scotland where it is the other way round (or was when my parents lived there 50 years ago.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Someonemrs makes a really good point. If someone visits you in the UK and you don't offer a coffee/tea early in the vist it can very easily be interpreted as a message that you don't want them to stay too long!

    Peter Bond

    ReplyDelete
  16. We love cups of tea here in NZ too. With a friend or alone, I think I'm addicted to the cuppa!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just asked my OH (a Dr) about the sweet tea after a traumatic experience like an accident. He said that the jolt of adrenalin helps you feel like you can cope with the event (sort of) but once that stops being secreted you'll become really flat. The sweet tea helps counteract some of the effect of the shock once the adrenalin is gone (physiological shock, such as low blood pressure, not psychological shock). But he also admits it's probably an old wives tale. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ha! I know you've had enough of tea talk but just wanted to let you know I linked back to your article today in a post I did about Americans and tea.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Now I know why I always felt vaguely unwelcomed when I visited friends when living in the US. My neighbour did however pick up on my habit and start offering me a drink when I went over - she even bought a kettle!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm not your typical American, I suppose, having been raised with the English ways of my mum and her mum. My kettle never has a chance to cool off! And, since it's nearly impossible to get a decent cup of tea in public here, I've trained my friends in how to make a proper cup of tea. For me, the most important criteria for any baked good includes how well said baked good will go with a cup of tea, and which particular tea that might be!

    ReplyDelete