Thursday, January 3, 2013

The hidden nativity character

We know them all so well, don't we? The angels, the shepherds, the wise men. But this year, I became aware of a hidden person, someone who must have been there, I think, but who was never written into the story.

A woman. I sense a woman at the scene. An older woman, a help-meet for Mary in her hour of need. I'm guessing that in the culture of that time, it would be a woman who would be the birth partner. I don't think Joseph could have managed on his own, though I'm sure he'd have tried to prepare himself, quietly seeking out the local midwife in Nazareth, swallowing his embarrassment, and asking her what he would need to do, far from home, in a city of strangers.

No. I don't think it was Joseph cutting the cord. Was it the Inn-keeper's wife? "You put them where? In the stable? She's about to give birth, for heaven's sake." Or another traveler? A woman staying at the inn who would willingly have given up her room, but only found out about Mary when she was a long way past being able to move from her bed of straw. Could it possibly have been Elizabeth, Mary's cousin? Did she meet Mary in Bethlehem, taking her own infant son with her? Or perhaps another member of Mary's family, who traveled the road from Nazareth to Bethlehem alongside Mary and Joseph?

I don't know. I'm guessing it was simply a local Nazareth woman. An older woman. A mother. She knew enough about childbirth to understand that Mary needed someone with her. She was there to hold her, to encourage her, to promise that the pains would pass. She helped ease the baby's head out, delivered his slippery body, cleared his mouth and nose of mucus, held her breath until he had taken his first. Then she wrapped him in the swaddling cloths which she had thought to go and fetch, before hunkering down in the stable at Mary's side. She took care of delivering the placenta, of cleaning up as best she could. She made sure Mary was warm, and as comfortable as possible, before leaving to go and tend to her own family.

I think she came back the next morning. Perhaps she came back several times. I think she helped Mary learn the skill of breast-feeding. I think she shared wise words about how to look after a newborn baby. I imagine they told her about the shepherds, and then later about the wise men, showing her the gifts, and enjoying her amazement. She was a trusted friend, by now, in that way that people become who meet us in the crisis points of our lives.

Did Mary and Joseph manage to get a message to her, when they slipped away urgently to Egypt, no time to linger, no chance to say good-bye? Did she wonder through the years what had happened to them, to the baby?

She has no mention in the Christmas story, but I'm sure she was there. Don't you agree? The Nativity Midwife.


15 comments:

  1. The Doula. I think you have a story there Iota. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, this had never occurred to me, but what a lovely slant to the story. Thank you for the food for thought!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting thought! I bet you're right-a humble servant who slips in and out of the picture without ever being noticed. There's a lot I could learn from pondering that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now you say it it seems obvious, but I never thought of it before. You should most definitely write this up as a short story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I doubt it would have been Elizabeth, or even a member of Mary's family, given the reason they were in Bethlehem was for the census. (I am, therefore, assuming that Mary's family were not from Bethlehem but Nazareth!)
    However, the Innkeeper's wife is an interesting thought. So often in history - our male dominated history - the women's roles are ignored. If the gospels were to be re-written today I think there would be a lot more about Mary's work behind the scenes, and even more so about women in Acts (where there are quite a few already).
    Just need to keep recognising the wonderful - and essential - things that women do! I like the Nativity Midwife very much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have often wondered if Mary would have had some kind of help and I think you are right. There would have been another older woman there.
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I said I thought she was probably a local Nazareth woman, I meant to say a local Bethlehem woman. But it could be either. Maybe a woman from Nazareth accompanied Mary and Joseph on their journey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love this! What a great fresh take on the Nativity. The story never ceases to move me & your perspective on it certainly did too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hadn't thought about it, but now you mention it, it makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You should write the book - her story....
    I agree, there must have been someone. Unless Joseph was a truly modern man....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, write the book! I agree completely that it's unlikely that Joseph 'did the honors.' I'm sure you've read Anita Diamant's 'The Red Tent' - that's how I imagine it would have been. I can't believe I never thought of this aspect - start writing now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Write the book! How could she not have been there? Even the innkeeper, meanie that he obviously was, surely wouldn't have begrudged a woman in labour some help.

    I love this though - am only online for the first time to have a rant about the church and it's good to be reminded that sometimes it's a very separate thing...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ever the contrary Mary I am, but I have thought of this and always assumed that delivering the babe on her own was just one of the many burdens Mary carried. That said, I'd so read historical fiction about that midwife.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really hope this is how it was; Mary had so much to bear both in the early days of her marriage and later in life watching the life of her beloved son unfold in ways that to a Mama must have seemed as if he was just a magnet for trouble, it would be nice if in this she was not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great thought-provoking post! I'm sure this will come back to me every year now as I unpack our Little People Nativity Scene around Christmas time. But it's a lovely idea to ponder. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete