Thursday, January 24, 2013

Regurgition

OK, so I realise that last post was a bit obscure, but I don't know how much medical detail you want. In a nutshell, I'm on Tamoxifen, which gobbles up the oestrogen in my body which might otherwise go and feed any sneaky lingering cancer cells. Yay, Tamoxifen. Great job. I sometimes visualise it whizzing around my bloodsteam and lymphatic system, looking for little particles of oestrogen, and snatching them away from under the nose of a sole mutant cancer cell. But one of the side effects of Tamoxifen is that it causes the lining of the uterus to thicken. Not so yay, because that raises your percentage chance of developing endometrial cancer. Not by very much. But a little. So that's why, if you're on Tamoxifen, they like to go scanning and poking around to make sure your misbehaving old uterus isn't harbouring anything that shouldn't be growing there.

When you've been through cancer, you have no "it's probably nothing" hidey-hole. Because you know it probably isn't anything, but it might be. So you have to find new ways of dealing with daily life, while waiting for the next event (investigative procedure in Feb, and 3-4 week wait for results, since you asked).

Sometimes I feel I'm not very good at life. Do you ever feel that? That's not a very helpful way of looking at it, is it? I mean, it's not a competition, or an exam. You can't take a course in "Life: how to deal with its ups and downs" and then get an A or a B. There's not a correct way of going through these kinds of things, is there? There's not a correct way of going through anything, come to think of it.

I used to find it helped to write, so, well, I guess I'll do some of that.

This is what my morning was like. At breakfast, we told the boys that they were going to have to pay for the Xbox Live payment of $99.99 that has been automatically deducted from our credit card. No doubt, at some point in the past, we had a conversation about "if you sign up for this, you have to make absolutely sure that it's not a recurring payment" etc etc, but of course that conversation is long forgotten. They weren't too impressed with our assertion that this is an excellent life lesson for them, that adult life is FULL of having to negotiate your way through systems that you sign up for, that bleed you at any opportunity, and that learning the consequences painfully now will prepare them well for the future. I have a nasty feeling that Husband bestowed the following wisdom on one of them: "This is what life is like; suck it up, kid".

Somehow, the Xbox Live payment conversation segued seamlessly into a voluble expression of my dissatisfaction with the state of their bedroom floors. It seemed logical to me at the time.

12-yo had to be in formal wear (love that kilt), because it's the Burns Supper tonight. This involved a lot of running around, ending in me saying something along the lines of "I've just remembered that last time you wore formal wear, we agreed we'd look it all out the night before, and get up 10 minutes earlier". Great moment to recall that particular jewel of wisdom.

And that is why I HATE the whole cancer journey. Actually, it's the second reason I hate the whole cancer journey. The first reason is that everyone refers to it as a journey, which is a horrible cliche. The second is that it spills over into the whole of life, so that even if you do what you practised with your nice therapist, over months, and acknowledge the anxiety and nervousness and all the other emotions that you're feeling, they still spill over into your everyday life, and you end up giving one of your children a really hard time about a missing kilt pin.

As I was walking the two younger ones to school, I announced that we'd all had a bad morning, and that therefore, I was declaring that today, 24th January, is officially National Rubbish Day. (Except I think I used the word Cr*p.) Every year, we will celebrate National Rubbish Day (Cr*p Day). 12-yo was horrified. "It might be someone's birthday. It must be someone's birthday. That's not very nice for them." I pointed out that our wedding anniversary, 27th January, has become Holocaust Memorial Day, and that's not very nice for us. Life isn't fair. (I may have used that "suck it up" phrase again.)

Which reminds me, it IS our anniversary on Sunday, and I've booked cinema tickets on Saturday night to go and see Les Miserables. Not only is it meant to be a very good film, but I thought it would give me a good opportunity to have a cathartic cry in a dark place. I'll be the one saying on the way out "Poverty? Starvation? Revolution? Imprisonment? Betrayal? Death? I can't believe they made such a fuss about it. I mean, this week, I've been dealing with a LOST KILT PIN."

I'm going to stop writing now.

.

16 comments:

  1. Just caught up with the last post together with this one. I can't say I understand or know how you must be feeling as I haven't been in your situation so I will just show my support and wish you well. But I do understand how, when you're worrying about big things, you lash out about the little things.

    Let me know what you think of Les Mis - have seen the musical a couple of times (once in Quebec, in French!) and must go and see the film version soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Iota, it's been so long since I've had a chance to read any blogs, what with the book and all. I'm sure last time I was here you were still in the US and now you're in Scotland. I hope you are settling in. You have a puppy too. Us as well. We got a Lurcher pup from the Dogs Trust. It's mental and has already featured on the Facebook Shame Your Pet page. My daughter has now seen the Les Mis film three times. It's a great place for a cathartic weep. I think she gets going round about the opening titles. I'm sorry life is throwing you a curved ball. No words to say but just know that your blogging buddies wish you all the best xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took Tamoxifen for five years and Letrozole for another five and I am (touch wood) fine. I wish you well. (( ))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know exactly what you mean about the anxiety and nervousness spilling over into your everyday life. You just can't help it with something like this. If it makes you feel any better, I don't think I am very good at Life either!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have the terror of cancer to excuse any frayed temper. I'm routinely belligerent to my children without any excuse whatsoever and without your redeeming humour. I hope you like Les Mis. The Vicar saw it twice in two days, he was so enamoured (with Anne Hathaway!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too just caught up on these 2 posts.
    Your nerves must be frayed, the waiting and the worry take a big toll, no matter what we or anyone else says.
    Wishing you the happiest of happy news in Feb, and I hope you enjoy Les Mis..my lot went to see it and loved it, I stayed away cos I think life itself is miserable enough so I only go to happy movies. Maybe shallow of me, but I couldn't care!

    ReplyDelete
  7. At least you've got a good sense of humor and I'm sure your family appreciates that, although they may pretend they don't. Life can be tough and we all try to get a passing mark on it. Sometimes, an enormous amount of cr*p gets tossed at us. You're doing pretty good. xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can only empathise...... I cannot ever be complacent about my cancer behaving itself and every twinge of pain causes me to worry. Is it arthritis or another outbreak? I shall never have real peace of mind.
    Hoping that you will be really clear, though.
    I'm on 3 monthly checks and the next is in a couple of weeks.
    Hate the blasted disease.
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah - the stress of waiting for the results of the "it's probably nothing" checkup. I had to have a post-menopausal D&C done last summer "just in case." They found nothing wrong, but it was a stressful couple of weeks. In March I go back for my 6-monthly MRI to check and see if my 3 (almost certainly non-cancerous) brain tumors have changed in size. The fact that they aren't cancerous or affecting me so far (other than making me deaf in my left ear) doesn't make it any less worrying since they're still potentially life-threatening if I don't keep checking on whether they're growing.
    (Posting anonymously, because I haven't shared any of this with too many folks yet.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Anniversary!
    I loved the phrase "we'd look it all out the night before". Have never heard of 'looking something out' before. Where's it from?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just caught up on your last two posts. I have nothing of use to say other than I am thinking of you and hope that it is all a storm in a teacup and that you find lost kilt pins soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yikes - we spoke and I hadn't been up to date with your blog, having been mired in a frankly d minus week and the associated self absorption. So am crap at life AND crap being a mate. Double worse than you so ner.

    Oh, and I have a whole tin of kilt pins; they were my grandmother's and I think they were blanket pins originally. Whatever; guide camp was a joy. Let me know next time (ideally the day before so I can look them out...)

    Lots of love and a kiss from the small boy
    J xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think sometimes having a little thing to vent about (like a kilt pin) lets you let off a little of the pressure of being in that horrible waiting stage so perhaps it went missing for a reason. I hope the rest of the waiting passes swiftly and it turns out to be definitely nothing

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Iota! I just wanted you to know that I am thinking of you and can totally empathise. Last year, I had my 5 year post-cancer diagnosis liver scan to make sure that the cancer in my eye hadn't metastasised to my liver. I had to wait for two weeks for the results. And I was a wreck the whole time. I know that none of this helps you while you are waiting but I hope that knowing that someone you have never met is praying for you will! Hope that everything will be ok. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm with anonymous. Yikes! You didn't say. Presumably you didn't want to say. But I'm sorry and I'm thinking of you and I'm sure it will be nothing and really, I could have posted you a kilt pin...

    Hope you enjoyed Les Mis too. Happy Anniversary. x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello lovely lady, I tried to comment on your previous post, but couldn't make it work from neither phone nor iPad. See, crap at live AND with modern technology.
    Just to let you know I am thinking of you. Will try the "suck it up" phrase on the 3-yo later today...

    ReplyDelete