Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Talking at cross purposes

I was listening to an interesting feature on the radio yesterday (link to Radio 4 iPlayer). It was talking about whether we see the world and put labels to what we see, or whether we see the world in a particular way because of the labels that we are given. You know the kind of thing (heck, I did a General Linguistics option as part of my degree in the mid-80s, and they were talking about this - it's hardly a new thought). The example people like to give is about Eskimos having over 50 words for snow, the various kinds thereof. Most of us can't distinguish between 50 different kinds of snow, but the Eskimo need to, so they have the words to do it.

The other example is colours. Do we see the colour spectrum in different ways, because our language chops it up in different ways? Those of you who speak Russian (you know who you are), will confirm that in Russian, there is an extra word for blue, compared to English. This made the presenter wonder if Russian is "a more richer language for describing the world" (sic - Come on Radio 4, "more richer"? Seriously?) But being pernickety aside, it is a rather fascinating question. They think that Homer didn't even have a word for blue at all, which is why he famously describes the Mediterranean sea as "wine-dark". Which makes you wonder how the Ancient Greeks would have started a conversation about the sky on a fine summer's day - but maybe that's just a British thing.

Bear with me. This question of whether language simply describes human experience, or whether it somehow forms it, by giving us categories to think within, has long fascinated me. I've posted about it before, talking about how "mummy guilt" is such a misnomer, because we don't really feel guilty per se. More sort of inadequate, or a little bit sub-standard on this occasion. But the English language doesn't have enough words on the spectrum from generally-a-bit-inadequate-but-let's-face-it-we're-all-human to I've-just-committed-a-murder-in-cold-blood. So we can't differentiate properly, and end up with the phrase "mummy guilt", which makes it sound like a bigger deal than it might otherwise have been (and then we feel even guiltier).

Where I'm going with this, is to ponder whether we feel different emotions, because we have different words for them, and therefore whether emotions are culturally conditioned, because they are linguistically conditioned. For example (and I truly am getting to my point here), I really missed the word "cross" when I was in America. It just isn't used at all. You have to be "mad", or "angry". Those seem rather higher octane than "cross". Do Americans not experience that low level slight aggravation (usually caused by children or pets, here's looking at you Hector, the cocker spaniel puppy who at 6 months old should know better than to pee on the floor)? Do they jump off the deep end, from being emotionally at rest, to being full blown angry? Are we Brits more phlegmatic by nature, simmering away quietly, and needed the word "cross" to describe that? Or - and here's the thing I started with - are we fashioned to feel that way from childhood because of the existence and usage of the word? Does it provide somewhere for us to be emotionally, that Americans simply don't have? That sounds superior and a little offensive, and I really don't mean to be so. I'm just pondering. I mean, trust the Brits to be refined and specific even in their anger! Or perhaps we are angry, and just don't want to admit it.

I did discuss the word "cross" with a friend in America, and she said she would use "frustrated", or possibly "annoyed", if she was looking for a less intense version of "mad". But I think I feel differently if I am cross, or frustrated, or annoyed. Cross, to me, is a definite space that I don't think another word exactly defines. Kind of interesting, don't you think?

Peoples, I am so wasted. There's definitely a PhD in here somewhere, isn't there? (And I meant "wasted", not "wasted" there. Blimey, isn't language complicated?)


14 comments:

  1. I would also add 'vexed' to this list. i have heard this more frequently from people of my parents' generation and I think it is a great describing word where nothing else comes close.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this. Fascinating. Oh, and before your kids get too old (they may be already, though maybe not the little one) get yourselves hold of some Mr Gum on CD for a long car journey. We all four laugh our heads off, and it is full of great insults like YOU SUITCASE, and YOU GUFF-MERCHANT and TROUSER FACE. My favourite character is the Angry Fairy who chases Mr Gum with a frying pan and belts him with it for not keeping his garden tidy YOU ABSOLUTE LAZER. He is deffo angry and not just cross though.

    Truly marvellous.

    Love
    Guess who
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post too. Living in France in my twenties I noticed I felt a different range of emotions when speaking French. I attributed this to using words in one language which don't have a literal translation in another as well as the difference in the style of communication between the two languages. I always felt I could state my case more passionately in French whereas in English I had to dig around in a suitcase of superlatives which had the opposite effect, diluting the anger or happiness or whatever that I wanted to convey. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think cross can be a very English emotion - not quite angry, generally bubbling away and prone to tutting at other commuters but not full out raging with a baseball bat?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Desperately wracking brain for second word for blue in Russian....

    And wondering what Americans would be if the had spent all yesterday afternoon retracing their steps in search of a jettisoned baby hat, which they then found, only to discover on returning home today that same baby has again thrown same hat put of same pushchair...

    Cos I'm cross. Peeved and irritated too. But definitely not frustrated. Or annoyed actually, which I reserve for people I think, rather than things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are wasted, this was fascinating! My family in the States think it's funny when I say 'cross' for being pretty angry. The understatement here makes them laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very true. Interestingly, more than one American friend here has said that their kids have picked up the word "cross" - from watching Thomas the Tank Engine! They think it's a "quaint" word.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's my impression that Americans tend to exaggerate everything and therefor their expressions too. I know we play them down much more here in Holland and I find that more fitting to our true feelings. It helps keep them in check too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the existence of the word "cross", and I think, in a way, it can prevent things escalating too quickly. When we use that word, we know it's somewhere on the scale anger-wise, but nowhere near a 10, and still very much in control. Mad feels much nearer to 10! Admittedly, the "in control" bit is, I suppose, quite British!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very interesting post. I saw a documentary last year, and one part of it was about an African tribe which did not have separate words for blue and green. They would use the same word to describe blue sky and green grass. It was fascinating.
    Speaking of Eskimos and all their words for snow, have you noticed that Scots have more words for rain than people living in England have? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had no idea Americans don't use cross in that way; maybe the British get cross more easily or more often so that's why we need the word.

    On the question of colours, did you know that Latin has words for colours depending on whether they are matte or shiny? One word can mean dark matte blue or red, the defining characteristic is that it's dark and matte, not the colour. Bizarrely that came up in a conversation about reading the Bible in its original languages.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was wondering whether "ticked" might come close? Americans say that when they're cross with people, but it still doesn't really contain the righteous indignation that often accompanies "cross".

    ReplyDelete
  13. I completely agree with you about the lack of use of the word "cross" in the US and how I miss it (as a Brit). It does seem to allow a lesser degree of anger than the current vocab gives us. ("Angry", "Mad" are too much, as you mentioned, sometimes). I have found it's quite a tricky concept to teach people who aren't familiar with it (such as the husband). He has learned over the years now, but apart from him,.... :-} Liz in texas

    ReplyDelete