Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Returning reluctantly to an old theme

So I haven't blogged about cancer recently. Those of you newish to my blog might not even know that at one stage in its life, it was a cancer blog. Does that exist, actually? A cancer blog? Do they call them that?

Don't worry. No serious announcement following. Just an "I recommend we check this out. It's usually nothing, but if you have it checked out, then you'll have peace of mind". I hate those. They're too... familiar. That's what it is. It feels like going back into a country you were happy to leave behind. You've been through security checkpoints and passport control, and you're on your way. Then someone stops you in the road and turns you back.

"I've heard so many women say that", said the doctor. "They don't want to go back into it all again."

"OF COURSE WE BL***Y DON'T" I wanted to yell.

But I smiled, because she was so incredibly nice, and sympathetic, and good at explaining everything, and sensible, and had time for me. I smiled, and I said "I agree it makes sense to check it out". And I felt the tears at the back of my eyes, because I always feel those when doctors are kind to me. It's a result of all those times doctors haven't been kind, or had time, or been good at explaining, and have instead quoted percentages (as if percentages mean anything).

I'm not worried. The symptoms aren't even quite right, and the doctor is very clear that the procedure is just to be thorough. It's good to be thorough. She thinks it's nothing. She thinks it's fine. So I'm not worried. Nah. Worried? Me? Nah. Little old Mrs Stoic in the corner? Worried? Nah.

I'm not agitated. That's not why I turned off the Today programme when they were discussing the breast cancer drug Tamoxifen, which I've been on for over 3 years now, and got to the bit about one side effect being an increased risk of endometrial... issues.

I'm not concerned. That's not why I phoned and told my mum, saying "I'm going to tell you something, but you've got to promise you won't worry about me". Because that's a sure-fire way of ensuring she doesn't worry about me.

I'm not anxious. That's not why, when my daughter caught the virus that's doing the rounds, I got into bed with her, and held her, warm and soft, in my arms, wondering whether her headache might in fact be a brain tumour, and imagining...

I'm not jittery. That's not why I'm sitting here with cold hands and feet, browsing websites on relaxation exercises, thinking about making vegetable soup, wondering if I should go to Sainsbury's or perhaps take the dog out, or both, and then reading another blog or two instead.

I'm not allowing myself to get carried away. That's not why I've been on to our realtor in the US, trying to get some movement on our house, so that'd be one less thing for Husband to...

Worried? Of course not. I'm only blogging about this because I thought it would be interesting to write a post about the NHS, and how it compares to my experiences of medical care in the US. A thoughtful, analytic post. Prompted by my visit to that nice doctor. A post about the NHS. Yes. A good topic for a returning expat blog. Don't you think?



10 comments:

  1. I reacted very strongly to the diagnosis of 'drop foot' that I just got, so I imagine that you are reacting quite strongly now to your news. I only want to say that I have a lot of empathy with you and that I so hope that everything will turn out to be alright. I will keep everything crossed that can be crossed. xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blooming heck, life certainly throws curve balls. I hope it is nowt nor something as they say round here

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea you were stalked by that devil. Every mobile part of me is crossed in hopefulness. Be sure to blog the outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you're fantastic for being brave enough to blog about it at all. Having had my own experiences of health problems now, one of the hardest things for me is being able to put pen to paper (or finger to keyboard) about my fears. Sending hugs and good vibes. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hopefully you will get it checked out, it will be nothing, and you will again have peace of mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are brave and inspiring and smart. It's good to check things out and it's also good to just carry on (how British I sound) and it looks like you're doing both. Sending many many good vibes up to you. xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. In my experience, drs hate to commit themselves to anything (at least in the US, where people sue them quite often)and therefore almost never say anything as comforting as, "It's probably nothing." If your dr. has said that, your odds of it being nothing must really be quite high. That being said - worry is the most awful feeling in the world, and I can't believe that, in an era when we can send pictures and speech instantaneously to the other side of the globe, they can't figure out how to get test results sorted in fewer than '3-4 weeks.'
    Will be hoping that the whole thing moves quickly, turns out to be nothing, and that you will be able to breathe that huge sigh of relief much sooner than you think.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhhh...if it helps to know that a complete stranger is sending the warmest and most positive thoughts possible, then I'm sending them...

    ReplyDelete
  9. what Helen said multiplied by a gazillion...

    ReplyDelete