Sunday, December 23, 2012

A very narrow escape

I've just been writing a round robin letter for the friends we've left behind in the States. (Real life friends, not virtual ones. You know...) I gave them news of the family, and how we're settling in to our new home, with a little reflection on the adjustment process. There's a paragraph that reads:

"Life in Scotland is both familiar and new. Small things take us by surprise. We both still go to the wrong side of the car, occasionally, and our kids really have no chance at all of producing work with correct spelling. Hurrah for spellcheckers. We have had to teach them to ask “Please may I have…?” instead of “Could I get…?” and wellies have become a part of life again. (You don’t know what wellies are? Google them.)"

But as it turned out, not so much of the Hurrah for spellcheckers. Because the spellchecker changed wellies to willies


Hurrah for me noticing before I sent the letter. What would the recipients have made of the statement that "willies have become a part of life again"? Followed by "You don't know what willies are? Google them."


It was a very narrow escape. I suppose you're all wishing that I'd sent the letter before I noticed. Shame on you. 

I couldn't make this cross-cultural stuff up if I tried. 

.

11 comments:

  1. Ha - that was close! But you're right - it would have given so many of your friends a terrific laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha!! Just imagine, your friends would have wondered what goes on in Scotland :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in a Women's club and every year we have an easter egg hunt.

    A few years ago the woman in charge missed that spell check error and we published in our newsletter, "The event will be held rain or shine, so make sure to bring your willies." I swear, I'm not making this up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That made me smile.
    We are trying to teach the boys to ask "Please may I have?". It's a bit of a losing battle when no-one round here says that. Same with telling the time the English way eg. quarter past four, half past four.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Re 'Please my I have..' you hardly need bother. Everyone here seems to ask if they can 'get' a latte etc. Our cub leader sent round an email before a special event telling parents that it was essential to bring 'willies'. Now I realise we might all have misunderstood him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Then there's the expression "gave me the willies", which should be rude, but isn't! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! 3 yrs later, I still open the door on the wrong side of the car - but now with more panache. I put my handbag in, is if that was my intention all along (shhh, don't tell anybody).

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is so hilarious. i know what wellies are. also, willies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have you come across any of the Williams in Scotland who are known as Willie? It used to be quite common!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Snigger. Willi is a common German nickname for Wilhelm. There's a children's song called Willi the bugger führer*. Urgh, I better stop now, this keeps on getting worth and worth.

    *It means 'Wilhelm the digger driver'. Quite harmless, really.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Or worse and worse. Said the dyslexic.

    ReplyDelete