Saturday, December 15, 2012

How do you keep your jewellry?

I can't spell jewelry any more. The ability to spell jewellry is one of the casualties of living in America. What's more, I can't remember whether the spellchecker on this computer is British English or American English, so I don't know whether to over-ride its opinion or not. Sometimes it's hard being me.

Anyway, how do you keep your jewellry? That's not code for some gynaecological problem for which I want advice. I just don't know how to keep jewellry. These issues come into focus when you move house. Storage options suddenly rise to the top of your agenda, and you find yourself in IKEA too often for your health.

Lots of little boxes? One big box? Tree-like thing to hang items from? What works for you? I'm 48, and I have to say, I've never been happy with whatever I've done in the past. It's time to find a solution.

I once made myself a necklace and bracelet holder, which Blue Peter presenters would have been proud of. I made it out of a brown corrugated cardboard envelope, which a calendar had been packaged in. I glued some old felt inside, and then used map pins to fasten the necklaces and bracelets in, one pin at each end. When I opened the cardboard folder up, there they were, all lined up. They never got tangled. It was genius. It only worked for chains, though. Chunky jewellry still had to be in random boxes elsewhere. And ear-rings. It didn't work for ear-rings. I threw it away when we moved to America. I should probably have sent it to Blue Peter instead, and now my daughter would be making me another secretly for Christmas.

Seriously though. How do you keep your jewellry?

PS There's an 'e' in there somewhere, isn't there?

.

13 comments:

  1. Jewellery for British English. It's one of those words that the more you look at, the more wrong it looks, whatever you do with it. As for me, I'm now a convert to the jewellery tree, though I must confess here, along similar Blue Peter lines, that my 'tree' is actually a mug tree not a 'purpose built' jewellery tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a row of hooks on the side of the wardrobe for dangly things. And I have an large old oak cutlery canteen, that's roomy enough in the bottom for the boxes with my good stuff, and has divided trays that suit brooches and earings. Ialso have a couple of traditional jewellry boxes (one musical) for my mother's and grandmother's stuff. But now I'm retired nothing gets much of an outing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep some in a box, some in an old jewellery box which belonged to an aunt, and some hanging from the wardrobe door handles - hoping that one day I might get one of those tree things for hanging things on! Oh, and some of my necklaces just lie on the dressing table, while I decide where to put them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've solved the problem very neatly, I think: I don't own any!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The rings I wear most days go on a ring-holder (in the shape of a dog: they hang on its tail) by the bath. The gold chain I always wear goes in a little dish next to it. Other stuff goes in various bowls and boxes in my bedroom, and I've a proper lock-up jewellery box in a safe place too for the good stuff that I don't wear very often. It's all a bit random, now I see it written down! But I tend to remember where I've put things, it seems to work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My jewelry (argh I immediately got it wrong and had to be spell-checked) keeping is appalling. I have a beautiful wooden two layered box, a ring holder and a special jewelry drawer in a chest of drawers, and where do I keep the stuff I wear most? In a tupperware box in my closet.
    The best holder I have is one for ear-rings. It's basically a 9 ix 24 inch roll of plastic mesh with a chain on one end and you hook all your dangly ear-rings through. (Doesn't work for post ear-rings though.)
    Now I feel I really must get my jewelry house in order.
    (Please excuse American spelling.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This reminds me of my poor mum, who grew up in Canada and then married an American. Fortunately for her, she spent many years overseas where British English was not uncommon (and therefore,not automatically considered 'wrong') but to this day, she second-guesses herself all the time when it comes to spelling!
    Jewelry - 1 drawer with inserts; 1 big box with two layers; 1 small box for everyday stuff; two smaller containers for other stuff. It's really so much trouble that most days I don't even bother!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are all thrown in a drawer. And yes they do get tangled. BTW -- I get mixed up all the time too, re spellings and words and phrases. It's all one big jumble. Like my jewelry drawer. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mine are all in a drawer, in random boxes. But at least I know they are in that one drawer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some is scattered around the house...I come home and remove and drop it... Some used to be in a bowl, and I have some in a lovely jewelry box, which is so full I can't find anything. I don't think there is any good single solution...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have 2 jewellery boxes, one with my own old stuff, one with old stuff from my Mum. can't remember half of what's in either. Then I have a little handmade chest of 4 drawers that my sister-in-law gave me, it sits on the dressing table. And for necklaces, I have attached hooks to the inside of the wardrobe.
    All a bit of a jumble, and I don't often wear much of it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a truly good site post. Not too many people would actually, the way you just did. I am really impressed that there is so much information about this subject that have been uncovered and you’ve done your best, with so much class. If wanted to know more about green smoke reviews, than by all means come in and check our stuff. How do i buy an iota with a credit card?

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. Scottsdale diamonds

    ReplyDelete