Monday, July 2, 2012

You disappoint me, John Lewis

One of the things that was annoying about living abroad, was that so few online retailers are geared up for you as a customer. I can't tell you the number of times I tried to order a present for a friend or family member in the UK, only to find out that I couldn't pay because my credit card had a US address. Why didn't you keep a UK credit card?, I hear you ask. I did. But even my UK credit card has a US billing address. Because the billing address is where you live. Not all of us have two houses.

Once, in an attempt to purchase an item and get round this payment problem, I said I'd sign up for a store card, thinking I'd only have to use it that one time, so no harm would be done. Of course it didn't work. I can't remember the detail of why, but I do know that it meant my unsuspecting friend, whose address I'd put in as a delivery address, received a store card of some description, Gold Customer, I seem to remember, though why she would ever want to shop at Toys R Us (yes, I'm looking at you), I can't imagine. And I still couldn't pay for the gift.

Some companies have the imagination or wit or brain or whatever it is to get round this problem. It is not difficult. It just means you have to have two spaces to put in two different addresses: the delivery address and the card billing address. And the card billing address has to be able to accept a 5-digit zip code, not just a 6-digit post code. Maybe it's more complicated than that behind the scenes, but some companies manage it, so why not all?

The other way round the problem, is to use your own individual imagination or wit or brain or whatever. I did just this recently, when buying a gift for a god-daughter. Last summer, when I was up in Fife, I heard about a friend who had set up a small knitting business. It started as a knitting circle, meeting one evening a week in a cafe, and has now become a shop. I tucked that piece of knowledge into the dark recesses of my mind, and a few months later, not wanting to subscribe another friend to Toys R Rubbish in a vain attempt to spend money, instead I phoned my craft-and-knitting friend, purchased a felt craft kit over the phone, and asked her to gift wrap it and post it for me. You could do the same, by visiting this website. And if you need a reason to visit it, beyond all the obvious ones to do with quality, choice, and supporting a new small business, then if I told you it was a shop called The Woolly Brew, would that persuade you? How great a name is that? Greater than Toys R Plastic, that's for sure.

So how does this all relate to John Lewis? Patience... I'm getting to that. John Lewis was one of my go-to companies for purchasing gifts for people in the UK, when I lived in the US. It's a brand name you can rely on - except for that blip about 16 years ago, when they fulfillled wedding lists with seconds china, on the assumption (correct in my case) that the recipients would be in a haze of newly-wed bliss or befuddlement, and not notice. But I've forgiven them that blip, I've always liked the company, and found them reliable. I receive emails from them, and today, they sent me one saying "Exclusive to our international customers; win your shopping weekend in London". Yay. Well, who wouldn't want to win a week-end in London (even one without a hyphen - or is that me being old-fashioned?) So I thought I'd enter, but since I haven't technically been an international customer since last Wednesday, I checked out the Terms and Conditions. I discovered that to be eligible to enter, you have to live in France or Germany. Funny that, because I don't. And I assume they know I don't. And during the process of entering the competition, it doesn't become apparent that you need to. When you are asked to specify where you live, you are given a drop-down menu of hundreds of countries (you know the one).

Sorry, John Lewis, but I think if your competition is only open to people living in France or Germany, you should say so. You specify that France includes Corsica, so you've obviously thought about it. And yes, you require entrants to tick a box saying they accept the Terms and Conditions, and so I suppose it's their own fault if they have failed to read them, but I expect better from you. It's now going to irritate me whenever I use those bowls that are clearly seconds.


.

14 comments:

  1. I hear do many tales f people not being able to pay for stuff from Uk websites with Us bank details.....why am I not having this problem....I live in the US. My bank account is in the US and I buy stuff from UK sites and for delivery in the UK all the time.....lol

    Maybe they just didn't realise yet....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now THAT would annoy me. Lucky my mil doesn't mind us using her home as a billing address. Sneaky? Me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the exact same problem buying stuff from the States when I am getting something delivered to an address in the States, but my billing address is the UK

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's very annoying. As you prove, their international customers extend far beyond France and Germany. Why bother emailing you if you can't enter anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  5. seriously, tweet about your annoyance. most companies monitor twitter - be interesting if they come back to you (as a lot do)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rosie, What annoyed me was that you thought you were entering. So they were getting your choice of 10 favourite brands, plus personal details, and you'd never have known your entry was invalid, unless you read the T&Cs. You would assume you had entered ok.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That doesn't make sense. British sites often stipulate the postage on items to the States. Why would they disenfranchise a potentially large source of income?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tend to use Amazon for international gifts as they have both a UK and a US site and you can have different account details for each one.....we also use a family address in the UK. But yes, it's very confusing, and annoying. As for John Lewis, they should definitely know better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you should be able to send anything anywhere from no matter where..... in this day and age, when we got someone to the moon & back! Not such a big problem.
    Your idea was a very good way to send a present
    Pity that you couldn't do it more directly though.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May.

    ReplyDelete
  10. try to win a shopping weekend in York instead. Then you can come visit me

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've had the same problem going the other way - frustrating attempts to purchase American gifts with a UK card. People like to talk about globalization, and how 'globalized' everything is. But when you actually move abroad, you realize that globalization is just an idea that comes with many, many caveats.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As an online store owner, I find this really surprising. As an insight behind the scenes, most small stores are built on an off-the shelf store package skinned with their own branding, and big stores have an IT team to build their own bespoke online store. Every off the shelf package I've seen allows for separate billing and shipping addresses, and it's up to the store owner to decide if they want to allow that. For big stores, why would you build a system that prevents you selling to foreign customers? It's cutting your nose off to spite your face, and as you say, frustrating for customers.

    The second part of the puzzle is credit card authorisation. All payments are scored on a multitude of factors to identify possible fraud. The higher the score, the more likely it is to be a fraudulent transaction. Cards issued and/or orders made in a foreign country automatically get a higher score simply because the UK card processer doesn't have access to the same amount of information about the cardholder, so err on the side of caution. (This also accounts for why some small store owners may be unwilling to ship abroad). What scores FAR higher though, is a customer living in one country, using a card issued in another country, asking for delivery to a third country, so the advice to use a UK card when buying in the US is nonsense.

    Competitions are surrounded by quite tight rules. I'm no expert, but it sounds as if JL could be in breach. What a swizz for people outside of France & Germany who stand no chance of winning but don't even realise! :(

    Anyway, a good 30-40% of my orders come from overseas, and some are buying gifts for friends here or elsewhere. I'm happy to have them all!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love John Lewis (have you seen this? http://www.middleclasshandbook.co.uk/) - it's in my blood - but we have a new "at home" one here in town and it rather cynically to me it seems it sells only the stuff they think they can make money out of, ie sewing machines and haberdashery cos making things is trendy, but no rolls of fabric cos no-one ACTUALLY wants to make clothes or curtains, just pretty little heart shaped things to flog to their mates at the pta fair, except rolls of plasticised table cover cos they can get 15 quid a metre for that and people only ever buy large pieces. Grr!!!!! And there is a baby dept - pretty appliqued muslins and teething rings and over-designed drinking receptacles are not "home" stuff! You buy them in Boots with your shampoo! And if that stuff, why not bay clothes, or school clothes - after all you keep them "at home"?


    But welcome back....! We missed you
    x J'ph and the Hs

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love JL for all their gorgeous stuff, but should really stay away from them as they are known for screwing their suppliers. Ahhh, the dilemma... Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete