Thursday, July 5, 2012

John Lewis replies

I believe in giving people a right to reply, so I didn't just blog about my disappointment with John Lewis. I also emailed their Customer Service department, who have emailed back.



Dear Iota,


Thank you for your email regarding entering a competition on our website.

I regret the disappointment caused by the competition to win a shopping weekend only being available in France and
Germany. We have participating partners in these countries to help facilitate the implementation of the offer. I am assuming
that we do not yet have any such contacts in your country. [No contacts? Booking a flight from America to London isn't 
difficult, John Lewis. Trust me; I've done it several times.]

Never the less, I have forwarded your thoughts to our Feedback Team for consideration when designing future offers
and competitions. [Did you point out to them that the competition was only open to residents of France and Germany, but
was presented as being open to all international customers? It's not the restrictions that bothered me, but the dishonesty. Just
to clarify.]

With regards to your blog you wrote; I would like to kindly decline your request for a response. [Kindly decline?]

If I can assist you with any other matter then please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Kind regards,


R---- M------
John Lewis.com

.


8 comments:

  1. At least they took the time to reply. Shame they don't realise the damage a blog post like yours can do to a brand. Word of mouth amongst a trusted group and all that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...it's all a bit mealy-mouthed isn't it? not what i'd expect from JL at all - at least they could acknowledge the obvious screw-up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I rather went off John Lewis back in 1997 when my brother got married in the UK and registered with them for wedding gifts. There was no way to go online and order a gift to be delivered :-( When we went to a store in London, they wouldn't let us walk out with the gift that we'd selected (by price alone because there was no way to match up the items on the list with what was in the store) - they would only deliver it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds to me as though they just wanted a snappy title for their competition ("international") rather than being open about who was actually eligible to enter. It seems ridiculous that you have to read the small print to work out whether you are the correct type of international! Then the reply, though it's good you got one, was all a bit pathetic and didn't really resolve anything at all. Bah!

    Hope you are feeling more at home today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Your blog you wrote" - am I the only person cringing at this sentence construction?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think those letters are boilerplate productions, i.e. thank them first, then use the word regret, then say they are taking the suggestions to a higher authority (they're not) but never use the word apologize (lawyers may be reading.) Easy when you know how.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor grammar! Sounds like John Lewis needs to provide literacy training....

    ReplyDelete