Friday, July 27, 2012

The Olympics Opening Ceremony



OK, so it's 1.00am, and I should be in bed, but you have to admit, it was good. It was very good. I liked it. I liked it a lot.

I understood the cultural references - James Bond, Mr Bean. That's always a relief to a returning expat. It can feel like you're missing an in-joke, when people refer to something that, because you've lived outside the country, you simply don't know about. TOWIE, for example. So I was glad I could understand Bond, Bean, and Chariots of Fire.

I loved the copper petals coming together to make a cauldron. I really enjoyed the fact that the torches were passed on to a group of young athletes, not public figures yet, who took centre stage for the end of the Olympic flame journey. Much better to look forward than back.

I thought the ceremony should have ended with the fireworks, rather than Paul McCartney. Perhaps you had to be there. Perhaps it needed a good arm-waving singalong at the end, to send the crowd off happy. But could someone point out to me the significance of "Hey Jude"? I mean, if you have to go Beatles singalong, why not have everyone singing "Imagine"? That's far more in the Olympic spirit. Imagine all the people, living life in peace, and all that.

The bit I liked best was the parade of the teams from 204 different countries. There were some fabulous costumes in there. Senegal in elegant yellow, you looked wonderful. America, I'm sorry, but you looked like British Airways cabin crew, with your navy berets and co-ordinating neck scarves. Bulgaria, in your blue and white check suits, you should just be glad that medals are awarded on sporting prowess and not dress sense - though golf is going to be included as an Olympic sport in 2016. You'll be well prepared for that.

I was irritated that all the announcements were made in English and French. Why French? English, because this is England, and we speak English in England. And French, because...? We reckoned it was as a courtesy to the French geezer from the International Olympic Committee, Jacques Rogge. Rogge, the Frogge.

One other little niggle... Why is the British team called 'Team GB'? I am offended on behalf of my Northern Irish compatriots. We are (correct me if I'm wrong) the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. To call our Olympic athletes 'Team GB' is wrong, lazy, and a bit offensive, honestly. It should be 'Team UK'. Or perhaps the Northern Irish members took one look at the white and gold Elvis suits that they'd have to wear, and said "count us out".

So all in all, the Olympics have got off to a fine start. London, beaucoup de points. Oh, and a new word has snuck into the English language. Always interesting to get a new word. Were you listening as the coach took the oath on behalf of all the coaches? He said something about the "principles of Olympism". Olympism? Really? Olympism? Well, I kind of like it, now I've typed it a few times.

Happy Games, everyone.


18 comments:

  1. Iota, it please me to see that you are en pleine forme. Beaucoup de points for you too, ma belle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As an American married to a Scotsman and only living in Scotland for three weeks, I was quite happy with how many of the cultural references I got. I wasn't lost with any of it! Even my husband was surprised, lol. I loved the Mr. Bean bit, although I'm disappointed that I didn't happen to see the Pink Floyd flying pig reference. I'll have to find it on YouTube.

    And I totally agree with you about "Hey Jude". "Imagine" would have been a hundred times better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. I hadn't even thought about the name Team GB. We loved the Queen best and of course you can't beat Mr Bean. I thought the flame at the end was fabulous. But now I want to know what Met Mum said!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You would have been yelling at the TV if you'd still been over here. Not only were we completely blocked from seeing anything live, we had to listen to NBC journalists "live from London" telling us how much they couldn't tell us until we tuned in at prime time (7.30, 6.30 Central). THEN we had bloody Bob Costas talking over the English commentary as if we needed a translator, and Meredith Viera telling us she didn't understand half the stuff she was looking at. Oh, and sodding Piers Morgan (in London) tweeted the big surprise about who would light the torch - to an American audience who still hadn't started watching. (Can you tell I was miffed.)
    Re - the French. That's the official language of the games. Jeux sans frontieres, and all that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, fab. Was prepared to be sniffy but ended up sniffy ie with tissues - Nimrod always does that, not to mention Mary Poppins and sick kids in beds.

    My theories on why Macca was there.
    (1) Stella said she'd only do the outfits if her dad got a gig.
    (2) They wanted to pull the plug again at curfew like last week in Hyde Park and see how he reacted when he was REALLY annoyed. Again. Only d to mess up the backing track but that was pretty funny too, whether deliberate or not...
    (3) They wanted us to realise not only how good the show had been, but how awful it could have been with constant references to tired old British successes like the Beatles rather than the intelligent, light heart/deep thought show they actually put on.

    I can't imagine what would make be proud to be British, and I find it a weird concept. But have had a bizarre fuzzy feeling all day that I don't recognise as too late to bed-ism.

    Love
    Julia x

    ReplyDelete
  6. The reason for the French is that it's the official language of the Olympics because of the founder of the modern Olympics, Pierre de Coubertin.

    Apart from the French, I loved it all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS IOTA CAME TO VISIT!!!!!! IT WAS FABULOUS!!!!!
    HA! KNEW YOU'D BE JEALOUS!!!!!

    love
    Anon xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. well, you can't have "imagine" without john lennon, can you? "hey jude" seemed kind of fun, though not (as you say) particularly significant. i was happy to get a lot of the cultural references, too, though some of them went by so fast--the little snippet from "Gregory's Girl," for instance--that you barely had time to yell "hey!" and it was gone.

    well done, London. well done, UK.
    and yes, our chinese-manufactured uniforms were quite plain.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved it. Totally agree with you on the US uniforms - looked like air crew - and Team GB (The Doctor gets furious every time 'Team GB' is mentioned). I agree that Hey Jude was a bit of an odd choice - yes, Imagine is too associated with Lennon but Let it Be could have been good? Seems like most of the Americans around here were bemused by it - we've had a few comments today...but in a way, I love that Danny Boyle didn't really give a fig about what the rest of the world did or didn't get.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd thought of "Let it Be", but I looked up the lyrics, and I wondered if the reference to Mary was too Catholic, ie too religiously partisan.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have exactly the same thoughts at me! Elvis costumes, Team GB only not NI, French announcements and why wheel out Paul McCartney? (Didn't we learn from the Jubilee concert?) Apart from that, I thought the rest was fantastic, especially the wonderful cauldron lit by youngsters (I was so afraid it would be David Beckham). And good on the Queen for joining in the general silliness with the film with James Bond! Well done, Danny Boyle!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mother Mary was actually referring to his own mother I think.

    ReplyDelete
  13. According to my Irish cousin, NI can choose to compete with Ireland or GB. Very confusing, if you ask me :)

    With the Jubilee and Olympics, I keep wondering where Sting is... they keep bringing out the classic British musicians, but he's never included. Did he do something to be excluded that I don't know about?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved Mr Bean!
    Fantastic Opening Ceremony

    ReplyDelete
  15. NI athletes choose to be part of 'Team GB' or Ireland for the Olympics, but can represent NI in the Commonwealth Games.
    I didn't expect to enjoy the ceremony, but thought it was great fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm wondering how Wales & Scotland feel about the lion as the GB mascot? No unicorn or dragon...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was confused by the team GB thing too, since we normally enter the Olympics as United Kingdom!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just catching up with blogs since our return from holiday. We watched the opening ceremony in Sweden so didn't get to bed until 2am. The commentating was, of course, all in Swedish, so we had to suss out what was going on by ourselves.
    Totally agree that McCartney's bit put the dampers on it and I didn't like the white and gold GB outfits. I did see the flying pig and my friend was a Suffragette!

    ReplyDelete