Monday, July 2, 2012

Home

OK, so I'm back. Not home, but back. Which means that I am on the east side of the Atlantic.

I left the place which has been home for five and a half years, and now I am at the place which was home throughout my whole childhood. And when our belongings arrive in their container, so long as it doesn't fall off the side of the ship and plummet into the depths of the North Atlantic, we will take them to the house which is waiting to become our new home.

So where does that leave me for the moment? I've always found those slogans that people have on display in their houses a little trite. You know the kind of thing I mean. "Home is where the heart is", or "East, West, Home is Best". But I shouldn't be so critical. They are brave attempts to capture an elusive concept. "Home" is what?

A place? A house, a town, a country, or a continent?

People? A family, friends, a community?

A space? Your own heart, or perhaps even a blog?

Or a feeling? Yes, I believe "home" can be a feeling. And that's why I say I am back, but not home. Yet.


6 comments:

  1. Can't believe I missed you by such a tiny amount. Oh well.
    It will be interesting to see how you get on; not that we're moving back any time soon but the thought of it is sometimes a little scary. How are the kids doing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you made it and hope your belongings do too! At least you missed the heatwave - I was just reading about crazy temperatures in your neck of the woods.
    It takes a while for somewhere to become home, I think. I don't really think of England as home, although it is very familiar - hopefully one day I'll find a house there I really love and make a family home there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome Home! i know that's a contradiction after what you've just written, but what else could I say? It sounds so much more warm & welcoming than "Welcome Back"
    See you soon I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome indeed! Let me know when you're settled in your new house and maybe we can meet up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back. I guess your heart will tell you when you are really home. It takes a while.
    Hope your stuff gets to you safely.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete