Saturday, July 7, 2012

The cat is out of the bag: Part ll

When we were first thinking of getting a dog, I filled in a questionnaire on a website to help pick a breed. Did I want a big dog? Did I want dog that didn't moult? Did I have a garden? That kind of thing. I eagerly waited while it loaded the results... "We're sorry. We have no suggestions for a breed that suits your requirements." Hm. Well, I had been a little idealistic. I wanted a dog that was good with children, strangers, other dogs, didn't moult at all, wouldn't need too much exercise, wouldn't mind being left alone, wouldn't slobber, would be easy to train, probably would be prepared to stand for Parliament too. I tried again, tempering my answers with realism. It came up with one suggestion: the Mexican Hairless (which looks somewhat like a rat, in my opinion). I clearly needed to loosen up on the "no moulting" issue.

I've moved in my thinking since that questionnaire. I'm torn, though. I have two requirements that pull in opposite directions. I want a dog I can train. I'm prepared to put in the time and effort, and learn how to do it properly. I want a dog who's obedient, reliable, and who will come when called (crucial if you're living on a boarding school campus, don't you think?). I'm thinking Labrador, in spite of it being such a cliche. But I also want a small dog, because our house isn't huge. I grew up with Border Terriers, so I'm comfortable with them, and I also like the idea of a Scottie or a Westie. Because I realise I can't have a terrier-sized Labrador, or an obedient Terrier, I've started thinking about a middle option, but nothing seems just right. What I'm really hoping, though, is that we won't find a dog, but that the dog will find us. I'm hoping our paths will just cross. Perhaps when we move to Edinburgh, someone will know someone who has a bitch who's just whelped, and that we will get a puppy on the basis of the known loveliness of the mother.

I'm rather prejudiced against rescue dogs, though I know they can be a big success, (so no offence intended to those of you with rescue dogs). First, we want a puppy, and those are rare in rescue centres. Second, I witnessed a sad story involving a rescue dog that seemed fine, but wasn't, and it put me off the idea.

As for names, currently we're on Bracken for a bitch, and Hector or Mungo for a dog. The dog names are from Hector's House, and Mary, Mungo and Midge. Thank heavens for Youtube, with which we've been able to educate our children on those favourites from our childhood past. Remember Hector? He really was a very splendid dog. I'll include a little snippet at the end of this post for you. You'll enjoy having your memory cells tickled with the theme tune.

Our favourite name, but one we will never be able to use, is Headmaster. Husband told us that in a boarding school, the Principal is usually addressed as "Headmaster". It occurred to me that if we named our dog Headmaster, that would give rise to endless opportunities for mirth. "Get down, Headmaster." "Time for walkies, Headmaster." "What are you doing in those bushes, Headmaster?" "Stop sniffing your friends' bottoms, Headmaster." We've had a lot of fun with the idea. I just hope the children keep a straight face when they meet the man.

Well, we didn't manage to shock our children visibly with the announcement of our decision, but we do shock them every time we talk about dogs and bitches. "Ooooh, Mummy used the B word!" screeches my daughter, in horrified delight.  11-yo and 8-yo genuinely didn't know that the word 'bitch' was anything other than a crude insult. Even though we've explained the original meaning of the word, they still experience a shiver of something naughty every time it comes up.

Now it's time for Hector. (Amazing, by the way, how expressive he can be, though he has no moving facial features - well, I suppose the bottom of his mouth goes up and down, but that's not a great boon for expression, is it? It's all in the voice. Even if you don't want to watch all five minutes, watch just a little bit.)


20 comments:

  1. Love the video. have to admit I can't remember watching it back in the day, but my mum was always a bit funny about tv... As for a medium-sized dog, how about a border terrier? An ex's mum used to have one and I remember her as a very sweet dog. And you DO realise you have spawned a whole generation of dogs called 'Headmaster' now, don't you? (Though personally, I think 'Vicar' might be even better...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicar, yes! Or Rector, which rhymes with Hector.

      Delete
  2. Hmm. Maybe a cross-breed. The SP is a spaniel crossed with a terrier and while that sounds abysmal he is THE sweetest dog in the entire world. Bar none. Re names I honestly think you have to wait until you get him or her... we had a name all ready for our boxer - he was going to be Basil (after Basil Fawlty) but then, when we lived with him, we realised that really he was a Monty (after Uncle Monty in Withnail). :) Whatever you have will be huge fun. Matron at my son's school has a sort of big shaggy thing that comforts anyone feeling a bit out of sorts. All schools need dogs (actually, come to think of it, there are about five at my son's school). :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a cockapoo, & (besides the name), they tick all the boxes, don't shed, VERY good wth kids, v people oriented, v intelligent (the poodle bit), Highly trainable (wch terriers AREN'T) & sooooooo cute. Our kids wanted the puppy option too & where children are concerned you can never be to sure with Rescue Dogs. Indeed the website for our local Rescue Centre lists under each dog, what group they are unsuitable for (eg not gd with children, women, teens etc.) Really! They are very careful. But most of their dogs had serious hang ups.
    So what abt a labradoodle (or Golden doodle, tho these are MUCH rarer)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I being honest, i think that if the dog is going to spend large amounts of time alone, you should consider another pet.
    Don't get me wrong I love dogs and used to breed German Short-Haired Pointers (very good with children, don't moult much, highly intelligent and trainable), but I have had to accept for myself that sometimes situations make having a dog totally impractical - no matter how much you would love it.

    However on the positive side - you can avoid the slobber issues by getting a bitch not a dog...Only dogs have that horrendous slobber thing going on. Historically a bitch will also be more loyal than a dog and more protective (it's that mothering instinct).

    Any dog is trainable - just some are easier than others..It's a matter of laying down the law and sticking to it from a very early age - exactly the same as children!

    As for breeds - hmmm thats tough, because it depends on your idea of middle sized...I remember as a child we had an Old English Sheepdog called Daisy....Now she moulted, but the hair kind of came out in clumps so was really easy to spot and get rid of. She was extremely docile. Old english are unable to snap and used to be used for hunting because of the size of their paws. they would simply swipe the animal they were hunting - so there is no danger of the kids or you being bitten. Daisy was amazing loyal, had a really deep forceful and quite scary bark if you were burglar outside not knowing what was on the other side of the door. She was playful when we wanted to play, yet would let us lie all over here when we wanted a snuggle......I think for children, she was the best there was....so I would defo suggest and Old English

    Lou :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm no doggy person but if/when the rest of the family kind of beat me into submission I think it would have to be some sort of chocolate coloured spaniel. Good names - our rector has a lab called Mungo... If thinking 1970s kids tv, why not Great Uncle Bulgaria?

    As for H's House, was it always titled in French? And were the 2 ladies Kiki and Zaza?

    Love
    J'ph

    ReplyDelete
  6. How about a Labradoodle? If you get one that has been crossed with a small poodle you get a dog that's smaller than a labrador great to train and not much moulting as well. Wuold say go with a whippet but mine are quite untrainable and frightfully naughty though utterly brilliant with children.
    Loved Hector's House as a kid! And think it a great name, that is if you really cannot use the name Headmaster!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, and friend (actually the Rector's sister in law) has a springador who is an amazingly user friendly dog. Called Manny, short for Emmanuel, dog with us.
    J x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I held out for a long time regarding pets, but eventually had to let the daughter have a cat (with my wife in alliance with her). It's not that I dislike pets, I just find them a hassle. I love Hector!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Am laughing as my husband has a cousin called Mungo.....which is probably rather more a ridiculous name for a person than for a dog.....

    What about naming him after something in America, to remind you of where you've been? Prairie Dog?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Get a Boxer! They are the absolute best around children.

    To back up my recommendation I should tell you that we have just got two boxer pups and are loving them to bits.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have a flat coated retriever who is gorgeous but she is big (Husband said he had agreed to a medium sized dog not a horse!) and she does moult all over the place but she was very easy to train, is as soft as butter and is brilliant with children.
    I think if I was in your position I would go for a working spaniel, lovely chestnut brown colour, very easy to train as they are gun dogs and again very gentle.
    As for a name-good luck! We are about to get a new puppy and I have imposed my choice on the rest of the family (only fair as I am the one who does everything with her)to great protests from everyone but it will be fine when she comes.
    Choosing a bitch or dog I would definitely advise a bitch, they are very loving and loyal and they don't try and shag your, or anyone else's, leg.
    You will find that once you have your dog you will never be without one-a house is not a home without a dog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We've been very happy with a shih-tsu/poodle mix. She doesn't shed much, but we do have her groomed every 4-6 weeks. She's very smart but very trainable. Our dog is not perfectly obedient, but I think it's our fault; it's too easy to just pick her up when she doesn't respond immediately.

    Boxers are very sweet, but they do drool a lot.

    I hope it goes well. I agree with everyone who said you'll be happy you got a dog. I think getting a dog for our son is one of the best parenting decisions I made!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you'll find the shelters are awash with puppies as they often find pregnant bitches.
    However, the other thing I found out in my dog-hunting is that those cute little terriers are not good with children. At the time, the Little Guy was 5 and I was advised (by breeders) against getting one; so if your dog is going to be around kids (and not yours, at that) might look into that.
    I know you'll think this is mad but one of the best dogs you can have are retired greyhounds. They are very docile, actually don't need a lot of exercise, can curl up into the seat of a car, and are very loving. Some of them aren't even retired, because they are the runts of the litter and therefore very young. Great dogs.
    (This is why I went to a shelter - too much advice about breeds. When I saw Dusty, I knew that was the one. She was young and therefore a pretty blank slate. And getting better every day!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Greyhounds are very sweet natured, but my mother had two and I'd not ever have one. Retired racers need their run, it can be a short burst of speed but if you don't have anywhere suitable for it, the dog will be unhappy. And if there's an open space it can get so engrossed in the running then it gets lost. That was what was wrong with my mother's greyhound number 1. Greyhound number 2 was a failed racer, so didn't ever run, that was fine. However, although gentle and friendly, he wasn't very doggy and had no personality. He came to live with us when my mother died but I never felt much affection for him, although I love dogs.

    We're between dogs at present - I have a list of dogs I'd not have rather than a preferred breed, but I much prefer mongrels really. Good luck, I hope you fall in love with a puppy and never look back.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had a border collie when I was a kid and she was AMAZING! So intelligent, so gentle so PATIENT when I dressed her in my clothes... But she had long hair and smelled doggy. We also had a dalmation who was equally sweet and lovely but I hear they may not always be good with kids. A friend has a whippet crossed with something (rescue puppy) and she is the sweetest little thing ever, loves everyone, has super short hair so if she does shed you don't notice it, doesn't nip or drool. And we have cats because I can leave a cat inside all day without walking it. I worry that dogs are a bit more demanding than cats and I have enough with a large family without adding more demands! Even though I love dogs :)

    Looking forward to hearing more.

    Oh and names? I like Nappy Valley's suggestion, something from your time in the States. If it's a female it could be PW...which would stand for you as well as the other (two others) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. A dog? Are you sure about what you are getting yourself into? I would get a Malteser or something similarly small. At least you can stuff them into a bag and take them on a plane. Yah yah, I know. Am not really a dog person...

    PS: Did they make you watch that as children? My heart goes out to you ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'll ask one of my Edinburgh friends who has dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are a fine writer with great humor!

    I have "surfed" to you in a most interesting way... I was reading "about last night" and spied her blog list which included "Trish @ Mums Gone To....". As I read Trish's profile and the list of blogs she follows, your title jumped out at me and HERE is where I find myself!

    Good luck with the puppy finding, be choosy and certain, and then have fun! Your Olympic table tennis adventure was what I was hoping it could be as we sat watching 'til the wee hours here on the US West Coast. Visa and NBC have a lot in common. Hector looked like a great show, a bit like we had here with Mr Roger's Neighborhood (animal puppets). But poor Hector and his two wives!

    time to serve berry pie - Cheers!

    ReplyDelete