Saturday, April 14, 2012

Tornado

If ever there was a bloggable moment, this is it. It's amazing that we have power. A tornado has just come through the city, and power lines must be down all over. I'm glad we do, though. I like to connect with you all, in the stillness that has become my night.

Now I really wish I'd written that blog post I've always meant to write, about what we do when there are tornadoes predicted. Then you'd have some background against which to understand what has just been happening. Too late now.

The storms have been moving across the Midwest all day. We've been following them. Nothing too close, nothing to worry about. Then at about 9.00pm (I only know because 8-yo was in bed asleep, 11-yo wasn't), we started to pay more attention to the local tv channel, now devoted entirely to storm-watching. It still had that slightly exciting feeling to it. And then it didn't. They started talking about a tornado headed straight for our city. Not a likelihood of a tornado. Not a storm that has all the signs favorable for a tornado. A tornado on the ground. Half a mile wide. And the weather man is telling everyone to make last minute preparations. Then he tells us to go to our shelter area.

We are in the basement. We have wondered about sitting under Husband's work bench, but (not in front of the kids), discuss whether the benefits of being under something solid are outweighed by the dangers of being in the workshop. Most tornado injuries for people inside their house are from flying objects. The workshop is full of objects you wouldn't want to fly at you at high velocity. I don't even crack a joke about how tidy it is (what with the house being on the market). I don't even joke. It must be serious.

So we huddle together in the little space that is a storage area between two rooms. We usually have a wine rack there, and a conglomeration of boxes and junk, but of course everywhere is so minimalist at the moment. Did I mention that our house is very tidy because it's on the market? We huddle together, and I'm thinking "This can't be happening. We've only got 2 more months here. This can't be happening. That's lousy timing." 11-yo says it'll be something to tell the grandchildren. I think about the war. Families huddled together night after night.

We're wearing bike helmets. Mine still has the instruction booklet attached to it, which keeps banging against my neck. Husband doesn't have one. He and I don't discuss who should have the adult one. He just handed it to me and I put it on. Why would that be? We're padded with sofa cushions, and snuggled under duvets and blankets. When the tornado comes by, we're going to lift the duvets over our heads. We tell the children that it will sound like a freight train going over us. There might be a silence, but that will be because we're in the middle of it, and it will start again.

I tell everyone to take deep breaths, "into your bellies" I say, "not just into your lungs". I am strangely calm. I think of you all, and I want my mind to come up with some clever quip about blog fodder, but it doesn't.

We have a laptop with us, and we're watching the weather man track the tornado. The weather man tells his non-essential colleagues at the weather centre to head down to their basement. He tells viewers that he will follow them at the last moment. The tornado is on the outer edges of the city. I can picture exactly where. "That's where we were this morning", says Husband (who took 11-yo to his soccer match there). They put up a projected path of the tornado. The neighborhood adjoining ours is mentioned by name. The tornado is expected there at 10.38. I look at Husband and I say "this is it. This really is it." He looks at me.

I tell the kids - again - that we are going to be ok. If you're in a basement, you're (usually) unhurt. I say that we are going to be ok, but that the house might be damaged. We have already prayed several quick prayers, but we pray again. For ourselves, for the city, for those without basements, for anyone outside, for those who are scared. 14-yo says that it's the exact time the Titanic went down. 11-yo has hidden his face under the blanket. 8-yo's eyes are wide and bloodshot.

We wait for the freight train. It's less than 5 minutes away. We're all hot, under the duvets and cushions. I am ridiculously proud of my children.

The tornado changes course. Instead of heading north, it veers east. There is no freight train. We think of the people in the suburbs to the east. They were hit by a dreadful tornado in 1991. The neighbourhood next to ours isn't mentioned any more. The tornado is north east of the city now. It feels more confusing than anything else. I should be relieved, surely, but I'm just confused. It didn't come. The freight train didn't come.

The power goes out. I text my brother in Paris, so that he can tell the family we're ok, when they wake and see pictures on the news.

And then it gets surreal. The power comes on again. The kids find some digestive biscuits in the basement (I thought you'd like that bit!) which I bought yesterday at a new British supplies shop which I visited just out of interest. I'm long past the need for British goods, but I was just curious, and it was one of those situations where I couldn't really leave without buying something, so I bought digestives for myself, fruit pastilles, refreshers and love hearts for the children. We eat digestive biscuits, and drink water. We go outside and look into the darkness. It's not raining, but it must have been - the side of the road is a raging torrent. I comment that we won't have to water the new turf we've had put down (because our house... oh, I think I've told you that). I get emergency text messages from the school, telling me that if my child was at the prom, they were safe and sound in the basement shelter of the country club. Wow - that would be a prom to remember.

I feel very wobbly, but very calm. The two can co-exist. 11-yo asks if he can play his clarinet, because that will make him feel better. I can't think of a good reason to say no, so I say yes. 8-yo then decides that playing the piano will make her feel better too. She's had a total of 3 lessons so far, and has one tune. Old MacDonald. So she plays Old MacDonald, and 11-yo joins in on his clarinet, but in a different key. They don't seem to mind. I told you it got surreal. 11-yo then says he wants to play something soothing and calming, so Old MacDonald stops, and he plays a haunting, wandering melody. I reflect that I had no idea he was so good at the clarinet.

I suggest that we put the kids to bed on the floor of the spare bedroom in the basement, and take it in turns to go to bed in the room with them. We need to keep watch through the night. There are more storms coming up from the south (damn you, Texas), and I don't think we would hear the tornado sirens from the basement. So this is my watch, Bloggy Friends. It makes sense to do it this way round. I'm a night owl, Husband is a morning lark.

There's a moth at the window in front of the desk, attracted by the light. It's very determined, fluttering and fluttering against the glass pane, trying to get in. How do you suppose a moth survives a storm which produces hail the size of golf balls, and winds that can rip a roof off a house?

I'm going to go now. Those storms might be approaching, and I need to be on top of what is happening. Thank you for keeping watch with me, dear Bloggy Friends.

20 comments:

  1. No words to reply. How utterly scary. Hope the night has passed calmly for you and those for whom you prayed. Keep us posted.
    Much love
    J xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you are all sleeping soundly now... x
    J

    ReplyDelete
  3. How scary indeed! Glad you made it through OK.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very gripping post.I can't having imagine tornadoes here (south west U.K).Does that mean you don't get Jaffa cakes?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep safe! Thinking of you. I went to look at your blog the minute I saw the bbc news. Sounds as if you have had a very lucky escape.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was scary just reading it. I'd be in a mess with no basement.
    My mother used to hide under the sturdy kitchen table during WW2 with us. I wonder how safe that would be? It made her feel safer, I suppose.
    Hope there are no more storms during you last 2 months there.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know what time you wrote this, but I hope that you've made it through the night safely and that all are OK. What a thing to happen right before you leave the U.S.!
    We lived in KY when my boys were small and went through many tornado warnings and watches and our town ended up on the national news after a string of tornadoes tore through doing awful damage....I know what it's like. Prayers for peace and safety.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too was scared just reading your account. It's very well written, tho I'm sure that hardly concerns you right now.
    Thinking of you and hoping all are well, and that it won't be long before you're all tucked up in your own beds, snug again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, Iota, i am so touched by this post, so brave and honest.and i have been there, heard that freight train, had a tree fall on our house and crush our porch roof (but that was all, thank god), trees down all over our park. this is harrowing to read. i am glad you are all ok.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, dramatic. I read this yesterday but didn't comment, as I wasn't sure what to say! :-)

    It's something to tell the folks in Scotland, I guess.

    Hurricanes are the thing to worry about down here in Florida. But I've not had to deal with one yet. Had a couple of warnings, that's it. We're in a mobile home, so we'd have to evacuate if a hurricane came our way! :-)

    I am glad that you are all okay anyway! And your house wasn't damaged!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Feck, Iota. I'm so glad you're OK but also very sorry for everyone who was hit. I remember the one and only time I've had to take the kids to shelter. You feel a bit stupid, especially when one of them is in bed; I kept thinking, "It can't really be coming this way", and then I thought about the Little Guy, three floors up - he wouldn't have stood a chance. Thank god for basements.
    We've just flown back from Costa Rica and my, what a descent. We had to circle round the thunderstorms coming up from your place (thank you) and now it's thundering, lightening and hissing down.
    Hope we all don't have too long a spring like this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an enthralling read. So well written. I was right there in your basemet with you anticipating the tornado hitting. Glad that you are all safe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How do you manage to make my heart race, lumps form in my throat and me giggle all in one post?

    So, so, so pleased you're all ok. Thinking of anyone that might not be.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. That sounds terrifying. It would have been scary enough on your own but to have your kids there too - that is what would have freaked me out. Well done to all of you for being brave. Hope the moving plans are still going well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aww. Someone's not happy you're leaving! On a more serious note, that sounds pretty scary for all concerned. You stay safe. xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Omg! I was absolutely gripped by this x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ps, been trying to leave you a comment for ages and only just got it to work on my iPad, for some reason! So now I'll leave two on the same post! So glad your post ended happily and I hope and pray the people in the tornado's path were all okay too. I was terrified of tornados when we lived in Minneapolis, I never had a brush with one in the end, but remember the sound of the siren well. Wonderfully written post.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, that was writing at its finest - you made my skin tingle. I grew up in Tornado Alley with one time in the basement waiting for the tornado to go down my street. It zipped up into the clouds before it reached us, but I had occasional tornado dreams for a long time. I am thankful you are safe. Helmets? Very clever! XOL

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, Iota! How scary for you all, and how wonderfully the children handled it. I'm having a little freak here, just thinking about it. I hope you have all recovered now

    ReplyDelete