Monday, April 9, 2012

Moving involves leaving. Who knew?

OK, so it's got to me.

Easter Sunday in church, the service ending with the singing of the Hallelujah Chorus, and me thinking that next Easter, I will be in a church which probably won't have that tradition.

Realising that I do like my house - now it's all tidy and clean!

Watching Michael Scott leave 'The Office'. Ah. That was the thing that got to me. Right under my skin. 'The Office' - the American version - has been a sort of backdrop to our time here. First, there was the transition from the English version to the American version, and finding that we preferred the American version (Husband can't bear Ricky Gervais). When we had cable, we often watched 'The Office' because we were bewildered by the obscenely huge choice of channels and didn't know what else to watch. Then when we gave up cable, we watched old episodes of 'The Office' because they're on all the time on the very limited number of channels we still get. And now we've worked out how to watch Netflix 'instant' instead of getting DVDs in the mail, we've gone back and filled in the gaps. It's the evening staple for me and Husband, when we're tired, and just want a glass of wine and 40 minutes of undemanding tv, to unwind before bed. And now, with tidy timing, we're finishing up the final season.

Michael Scott leaves. No. How can that be? How can he leave? How can we leave? I love the way 'The Office' shows how a random group of weird, annoying, flawed, yet wonderful, individuals, can become a community. If the story of our time here in the Midwest has been anything, it has been a story of finding community. And don't be insulted by the idea of being "weird, annoying, flawed", because we all are, you know. And I did say "yet wonderful", in case you hadn't spotted it.

So when I watched the bit where his colleagues sing Michael Scott the ballad, summing up the 9 million minutes he'd worked in the office, it got right under my skin and into my left ventricle and even my tear ducts. I confess I got a paper and pencil and worked out how many minutes we've lived here (over 2.5 million - if you don't count the summers away). It wasn't just me. 14-yo (who is wired emotionally so like me) was moved too. "I don't think Michael should have left. Why did they write that into the series?" he's asked me more than once.

And now I just can't get that tune out of my head. It's melancholy, but kind of inspiring and fulfilling too. I love how music can do that - be a mix of emotions all at once.

So Michael Scott, you moved to Colorado and a new life with Holly. We're moving to Britain. You will be an indelible part of my memories of my time here.

Here is that song. I defy you to watch the video and not be moved. Moved and moving. How apt. And the word 'emotion' comes from the same root. Yes, very apt.


7 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I've just had to catch up with your news. How exciting/nervewracking for you, but I wish you all the very best back in Blighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel for you - really do.
    We just had our first Easter in Seoul - (missing our church back home very much,) and it's also the first Easter since he was born that Son#1 (at Uni in the US) has not been with us.
    This time last year, we were packing up house to get ready for our move to Seoul, and everything seemed to take on a new poignancy, the sense of 'this is the last time we'll....'
    But I guess you understand that.
    Hoping your move is as smooth and uncomplicated as an international move can possibly be....I'll be reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well that actually was moving and I can't stand the American version, (even tho the Brit version was cringingly embarrassing.)
    OK, homework time - if you leave on the allocated day, how many minutes do you have left in the States?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't followed that programme, but enjoyed this little snippet.
    Savour the "last of" moments, it must have been a fantastic experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We ended with Thine Be the Glory - my favourite hymn - just slowly enough to be tedious. **sigh**
    And I can't bear Ricky G either.

    Interesting times for you all - hope they are peaceful and happy
    xxxxxx
    J

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Luck with your move, and with your house sale. I am looking forward to reading about how you settle back in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have no idea what spurred me to pop in on your blog today for the first time in years, but I'm so very glad that I did. I'm now sitting here with a wistful smile, both delighted to see your happy news (a long time in coming!) and nostalgic for a similarly wistful time in my own life (suddenly a long time ago). Thanks for bringing me back even as you move forward. All the best for all that lies ahead.

    ReplyDelete