Monday, April 23, 2012

Losing the plot

I thought I ought to post something so that you know I'm ok after the trauma of the tornado. I don't want you to think I've lost the plot.

Speaking of which, I have read on more than one American-in-Britain expat blog how much they enjoy that phrase. 'Lost the plot'. I agree. It's a splendid phrase, and one I've stopped using since being here. I've lost the 'lost the plot'.

Of course I'm also in the business of selling the plot at the moment. Except here, your house in on a lot, not a plot. So the details describe the house as 'lot 25, block 2' of our subdivision. The word is bandied around, as in 'beautiful shady lot', instead of 'beautiful shady plot' (though I realise that in England, it would be described as 'beautiful sunny plot', selling points differing, as they do). Or perhaps even in the UK we don't talk about 'plots' in that way any more. It sounds a bit dated.

A lot, though, is just a parcel of land. As in 'parking lot', for 'car park'. I suppose in the UK, we have to say 'car park', though it's obviously a car park - what else are you going to park there? Your mother-in-law? If we didn't say 'car park', and just said 'park', then that would mean a completely different thing. Which conjures up an interesting mental image. Next time you go to a car park, you can picture your car joining her friends for a go on the swings and the climbing frame. Isn't that what a 'car park' might be?

Anyway, back to 'a lot'. Americans don't use the phrase 'a lot of', as in "I read a lot of blogs". They would say "I read a bunch of blogs". I believe I've posted about this before. But that is one phrase I haven't lost. I use 'a lot' quite a lot. I expect that as I do so, the person I'm talking to has a little inward invisible smile, and thinks "how quaint". So in my everyday speech, when it comes to Englishisms, I have lost a lot, but I haven't lost 'a lot'.

Are you keeping up with me here? Because I want to talk about Big Lots. That's the name of a store, which I haven't ever been to. The idea of Big Lots is just that. They buy big lots of items from other shops or suppliers, and then sell them at discount prices. You can get a tidy bargain at Big Lots, so I'm told, but you never know what's there. It just depends. If you like the random factor in shopping, if you're a T K Maxx fan - and yes, it's T K Maxx not T J Maxx over here, that's not a typo - you'd like Big Lots. You'd also like Tuesday Morning, which is kind of similar, and there's a story behind why it's called Tuesday Morning which I can't remember, though I have to tell you that the one time I went to Tuesday Morning - which was actually on an afternoon and probably not Tuesday - I found it very expensive for a discount store.

My point about Big Lots, though, is that the name makes me laugh. In England, "Big Lots" sounds like the answer a 3 year old gives when you ask them how much ice cream they want.

I remember when I was at school, learning that 'a lot' was two words. For years, I'd written it as one: alot. I wonder if I associated it with 'allotted'. If you have a lot of things, maybe they are allotted to you. That kind of idea. I still like the way it looks, written as one word, actually.

I had better go now, and mow my beautiful shady lot. Such is my lot.

.

17 comments:

  1. I believe Tuesday Morning is thus called because their goods come in on a Tuesday Morning. Whatever, it is a very strange store, with "lots" of very random goods.

    I'm not sure Big Lots exists in Long Island. But there are lots and lots of parking lots.

    I do love your posts.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marvellous and funny and not quite plot-losing, which is reassuring...
    x
    Love J'ph

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like alot too! It seems a better way of writing it! Laughed so much at the "beautiful shady plot", indeed sunny would be a huge selling point here too, if anyone was to believe it!
    Hope the packing is going well, ha ha! And glad there was no lasting damage from the tornado.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I rarely (if ever) use the word 'bunch'(except in reference to bananas and/or grapes) and would most certainly say I read a lot of blogs.

    This must have something to do with my Canadian mum.

    And I, for one, can't wait to set foot in a Big Lots, (did you know there's another store called 'Odd Lots' as well? Just fyi) TJ Maxx, Tuesday Morning, or any other store for that matter where I will have at least a snowball's chance in Hell of finding an item of clothing that fits me since I do not wear Petite Asian XXXXXXSuper Small which is all I can ever find in pretty much every store here in Seoul.
    That is all.

    (Oh, except this: does 'Lost the plot' mean about the same thing as the American saying, 'lost the farm'? as in, we've lost all that we own right down to the last penny?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it's not the same as losing the farm. I'm now trying to think how to explain what it does mean. Hm... I suppose I would say I was all over the shop, if I'd lost the plot. But maybe that doesn't help much. How about the word "discombobulated"? That pretty much sums it up.

      But if anyone can do a better job of explaining what "lost the plot" means, then feel free to add your comment.

      Delete
    2. I would say (I'm coming up for my 22nd anniversary here) that "lost the plot" is a little more serious than 'all over the shop'. If someone was said to have lost the plot, to me they're on the verge of a nervous breakdown or, in a lesser sense, just not understanding something AT ALL. Could be the mid-western meaning. Or the people I mix with!

      Delete
  5. Love your post. I have to admit to only recently finding you via BritMums, but reading your post today has had me giggling, and even my hubby was peering at me over the top of his glasses whilst working on his laptop wondering "what on earth is she doing now, giggling like a little girl"...lol

    Thanks for the laugh and also for the idea for a post of my own along a similar vein, for which I will tell my readers to thank you for and steer them over here in your direction.!

    Lou :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I usually sat "a lot" but that maybe because I'm Dutch and influenced by the British language. I thought Americans said it too but I must be mistaken. I know what you mean by losing the plot. It's not the same as losing the farm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good point about car park and park. Never thought of that before. Very different. Now having visions of cars parked in beautiful shady lots under trees with flower beds demarking the different bays. That kind of parking lot I'd like a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It took me a while to understand that my wife's gardening co-op, was the same thing as what us Brits would call "an allotment".

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hang on - where is T K Maxx called T J Max? That's a lot to take in. I may be losing the plot... And loved your comment re: Big Lots. It reminded me of when I was a little girl and thought one of the reading cards at school was quite rude because it read 'The Queen has a big job to do'. 'Big job' in our house - at the time - meant something quite specific that you had to do in the smallest room...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just Googled it to make sure - Iota has lost the plot. (Or "plat" see later comment). TJ is the original American and TK is the UK, although the web sites seem to be inter-changeable. Makes you wonder why the difference.

      Delete
  10. Now you've got me confused. I thought T K Maxx was called T J Maxx in Britain.

    ReplyDelete
  11. TJMaxx confused me too. Definitely TK here. I've always assumed "lost the plot" was something to do with plays and stories. Losing a bit more than just the thread.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a Kiwi in the UK, so I also have these moments. My favourite was listening to the traffic report on the radio and they said that there were delays "due to a shed load." I was left wondering "a shed load of what?" as in NZ a "shed load" means a large quantity (which would fit in a shed, geddit?) and not something which has slipped of a lorry.

    Discombobulated is a fantastic word. I must try to use it more often. It applied to me quite frequently!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now you see, I have heard of TJ and thought that was what TK was in the US... It def exists as it has a website (so it MUST be true! I sound like my 9 yo!)
    x
    J

    ReplyDelete
  14. Forgot to add my other comment - here in Chicago, the document that records the boundaries of a plot of land is called a "plat of survey". Because of the accent here, they say "plot" like a Brit would say "plat", (stay with me) so when I heard everyone talking about a 'plat of survey' I immediately corrected it to "plot of survey" and called it that for years. I nearly died of embarrassment when I saw it written down.

    ReplyDelete