Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Life carries on

One of the hugely under-rated skills that you develop as a mother, is the multi-tasking of the mind. You have to shift gear the whole time. It's 0 to 60 in a few seconds as you grab a toddler's hand away from the fire and explain that fire burns, and then you're digging deep to answer an imponderable question like 'why is the sky so high?' a moment later. There must be some kind of mental clutch in a mother's brain, that makes it possible.

I've found this to be the case today. Mostly, my mind has been full of big questions relating to the sale of the house. How much should we ask for it? Should we get the storm door repaired, or could we just hope that no-one notices it doesn't fit any more? Why, oh why, have the Dyson, the garage door, and the mower all picked this week to go on the blink (when I'm still just recovering from losing my mobile phone for 4 days)? Those kinds of questions. But in amidst all that, this afternoon I have had the following three conversations (no exaggeration).

11-yo: What would you wish for if you could wish for anything?
Me (stalling): Um... I'm not sure...
11-yo: Do you think it would be better to wish for world peace, or for no-one ever to have to be hungry again?
Me: Either of those would be very excellent things to wish for.
11-yo: I think probably world peace, because if there was no war, then people could get on with organising things better so everyone had enough food, so then you'd maybe get both wishes.

8-yo: What's that thing for?
Me: It's a bus shelter. It's for people to go in while they're waiting for a bus, so that if it's raining, they keep dry.
8-yo: What happens if it's not raining.
Me: Well, they wouldn't need to be in the shelter then.
8-yo: Yes, but could they go in the shelter even if it wasn't raining?
Me: Yes.

Me: I'm really proud of you, 14-yo.
14-yo: Why?
Me: [mentions in affirming manner a few good qualities]
14-yo: Do I get money for that?
Me: No.

See what I mean? My brain clutch is wearing out. Ker-clunk. I need an automatic.

Right. Just off to write an assignment for my MA, comparing and contrasting two different theological approaches to worship. (OK, so now I'm just showing off.)

.

8 comments:

  1. I vividly remember getting in the car the day after putting MrL on the plane to Seoul and discovering the brakes were shot. This was closely followed by not being able to start the lawnmower.
    Try not to stress more than necessar - it will all get done somehow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My 12 year old asks me that what would you wish for question all the time. Now I'm wise to the fact that it's because he wants me to ask him the same!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your 14 year old is going to go far! I just love these - priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have those days all the time, coupled with phone calls from the Queenager who just wants to rant about some assignment that's due in the next day. With the 8 year old I've learned that he usually has the answers to his own questions figured out so I turn them back on him with "Hmmm, I'm not sure. What do you think?" Fortunately he still hasn't cottoned on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your 14 year old does more than grunt. Wow, good parenting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mummy?
    Yes?
    Why do trees look like broccoli?

    Be grateful you're past that stage....

    ReplyDelete
  7. My children are not great question askers. I, on the other hand....

    "4 yo?" *silence*



    "9 yo?" *silence*


    Sigh...

    J x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe the 14-year-old could write the dissertation? Which would take the number of things you have to do at one time down to 86.

    ReplyDelete