Thursday, December 9, 2010

The Christmas story

Christmas is coming, in case you hadn’t noticed, and here at The Iota Quota I’ve been thinking about Herod. Just to get into a festive mood.

Now Herod was not a nice man. Oooh no, not a nice man at all. If you’d been around at the time of the Nativity (and please, Americans, do we have to pronounce it Nay-tivity? Can’t we just stick to N’tivity? Please?)… If you’d been around at that time, you’d have heard very little about the shepherds and the angels, I’m guessing, because life would have been completely dominated by the horrific events instigated by Herod. Do you remember? He didn’t like the idea of anyone challenging his rule, so when the Magi pitched up, with their stories of the special star and the special baby, he came up with a plan, and ordered all the infants under the age of 2 to be slaughtered, in front of their parents. I’m told that fourteen thousand babies died. Fourteen thousand. Herod was not a nice man.

Mary and Joseph slipped away to Egypt, and somehow, down the ages, those other babies and their weeping, scared, scarred parents have been relegated to second place in the story. Well, I’m remembering them here.

Thinking about this story, I’ve noticed something this time round that I’ve never noticed before. The Magi. They’re meant to be the good guys. Wise, rich, exotic, generous, journeying patiently, seeking diligently, wearing fancy crowns. But they did a bad thing. They went to see Herod on their way to Jerusalem. They were warned in a dream not to go and see him on their way home, but it was too late by then. The damage had been done. Why did they do that? Why did they go to Jerusalem? Couldn’t they just have steered their camels to Bethlehem? They must have known that Herod was bad news.

I think they went to see Herod, because that’s what powerful people do. They like to hang out with other powerful people. No doubt they were well-received, and treated royally, and who doesn’t like to be treated royally? And listen to what they said: “Where is he who has been born king of the Jews? For we have seen his star in the East, and have come to worship him.” Yes. Because we all like people to know when we’re about our religious business. If you’ve made a big effort to go on a spiritual journey, it’s a shame if other people don’t know about it. Especially if it has involved a bit of hardship and a few trials. But Magi, my friends, your desire to be kingly and to have your mission weightily appreciated may well have cost the lives of fourteen thousand babies.

I’m disappointed in the Magi, frankly. It’s disconcerting when you see the flaws in the good guys. I’ve always preferred them to the shepherds, actually. I mean, they had to trek across nations following a mysterious moving target, while the shepherds were conveniently right there just by Bethlehem, and had the benefit of a skyful of angels telling them what was what. All they had to do was straighten up the tea towels on their heads, and walk down the hillside. They're always depicted with a lamb or two, but let's think about that for a minute. They would either have taken the whole flock with them (bit cosy in the stable), or they'd have left someone in charge on the hillside, in which case they wouldn't have needed to take any with them at all. Maybe one of the heavenly host tipped them the wink. "Psst. Take a lamb with you. You know... A lamb...? For the symbolism...?"

My favourite character in the story, though, is Mary. And I’ve seen something new about her this time round too. When she and Joseph escaped to Egypt, how horrible that must have been for them. They must have felt such awful, dreadful relief at having protected their precious baby, their firstborn, from Herod’s henchmen with their instruments of death. But I’m sure they felt horrible guilt too. Can you imagine? Escaping when fourteen thousand didn’t? The news of the slaughter must have reached them, and they must have been sick at heart. How did they cope with it? When they returned from Egypt and went to Nazareth, did they avoid Bethlehem? I bet they did. To have a living child among such bereavement would have been a most terrible burden. The lesser burden, but a terrible burden nonetheless. Terrible, and so lonely.

We’re not told very much about Mary at this point, but we are told that she “kept all these things, pondering them in her heart”. I love that. If there’s one thing that I’ve learnt from all the mummy blogs I read, it’s that there is quiet pondering a-plenty that goes on in a mother’s heart. I suppose Mary had more to ponder than most of us, what with the visitation from the Angel Gabriel, and the donkey ride, and the shepherds, and the Magi. And just think of the pressure you’d be under to look your best after the birth, if you knew that your picture was going to be on Christmas cards for several millennia?

Yes, I think Mary must have had very many lonely and difficult days. I'm glad she had Joseph. Obviously a great bloke, choosing to stick with her and look after her, though she was carrying a child who wasn't his own. We're thinking the Dad from Little House on the Prairie meets Atticus from To Kill a Mocking Bird.

Whatever you think of the historical reality of the Nay-tivity, you’ve got to admit, it’s a great story. Tell me, who’s your favourite character?

19 comments:

  1. I'm definitely with you on the Magi. I've also wondered what use the gold, frankincense, and myrrh were to a couple like Mary and Joseph, who were artisan-class. You'd think money would have come in handy, but what kind of trouble did they run into at the exchange shop? "No, sir, we didn't steal this phenomenal wealth the likes of which we've never seen before in our lives. A bunch of Magi gave it to us. Really. And could you hurry up a bit? We need to get out of town fast."

    I've always thought Joseph was the unsung hero. He seems to have been such a steady, reliable, salt-of-the-earth person, the kind who's glossed over in a story precisely because he is so dependable. He's good old Joe, always there, always doing what's needed, never making a fuss, never letting anyone know how much he's sacrificing, and so shunted away to the background when he's really pretty astonishingly impressive.

    I've been reading your blog for a while now--just wanted to tell you how much I enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant. I love it when you let your mind wander and capture it so eloquently. I'm giving you my "You Must Go and Read This Award" and sending people over here right now. I will even Tweet it - just so you know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good point about the Magi. I'm with Stacy -Joseph is the unsung hero. He had to put up with a lot.

    I had to stifle a giggle at our town nativity the other day when the narrator 'mis-spoke' and talked about Mary lying in the manager. He quickly corrected himself, but I not before had visions of David Brent from The Office appearing in the whole scene.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so brilliant iota - this is one of the best thissssngs I have read for A ^G&EST777777777777777777777777(tggggsorry, new kittens, ifnvaded keyboard) z˚µews

    Love
    Josephine

    ReplyDelete
  5. You just took my breath away with this post. I'm so sad for the babies, so feeling for Mary. Great one! My favourite character must be Mary at the moment, having a newborn myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 14,000 I think you don't really get the enormity of it unless you've had a baby yourself. Mary had a lot to ponder.
    Fav character's Magi again even if they were a bit dumb chatting to Herod!

    ReplyDelete
  7. " the pressure you’d be under to look your best after the birth, if you knew that your picture was going to be on Christmas cards for several millennia"
    LOL at this, and in a way, it's still true today, you're stuck in a hospital at the mercy of anyone who wants to visit...at least until you get enough sense to tell people to stay away and let you rest!
    Mary, being the mother, would be my favourite too, though I also have a soft spot for the shepherds, working outdoors in all weathers and all that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant post. A modern revisitation of a story we all take for granted. I've never like the Magi - they always seemed a bit up themselves. And the shepherds - well had I been Mary, I wouldn't have wanted a bunch of random punters off the hill coming to take a peek at me post birth. But then again, I didn't give birth to the son of God (although my eldest certainly thinks so at times). My favourite has to be Mary for her utter stoicism and Joseph for being a very new age birth partner (no cigars in the inn while Mary pushed out baby Jesus on her own.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well Joseph could have sent Mary away quietly and he was thinking of doing that but a dream, telling him to marry her, changed his mind because he recognised it to be of God. He is a character who doesn't get much attention. So he deserves more.
    Mary obviously..... but she was in for heartbreak right from the start.

    My favourite character in all the Bible (not from the N'tivity) is JOSEPH! without him taking care of the 12 tribes of Israel during the famine, then the N'tivity wouldn't have happened! Not how it did, anyway.

    Thank you for writing this lovely piece! The 14000 babies lost was horrific. However, all through the Bible there were some terrible things that happened but God seems to use crazy & wicked people in his scheme.
    So there's hope for us!
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  10. My fave-definitely the three kings/ maji/ wise men etc. I have three figures on my window sill as I write looking rather smart. I loved the idea of the bling presents and I love the associated carols- we three kings, three kings from persian lands afar... and so forth. Great post

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've always had a bit of a soft spot for shepherds - probably a hang over from my N'tivity play when I got that particular starring role (that was the year I got to say anything. The year before that, I really had starred. As, you guessed it, the star. Quite important, but not that good a speaking part, hey ho). But now you've got me thinking and I'm getting a bit worried about the historical accuracy - why would they have lambs? In December (or indeed September if that's when the census actually was as the historians now think). And, as you say, why would they either have brought them, or indeed, left them, on the hill.... Hmmm. Maybe I'll switch my allegiance to the Ox and the Ass.

    As for the 14,000, it's like the Holocaust. It is, I suppose, the original Holocaust. Either way, just too huge to contemplate. Man's inhumanity to man...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful post, Iota. Think my favourite was the 1st waiter on the right... (What do you mean, there were no waiters? There were in the nativity Boy #1 was in a couple of years back, when he played - you guessed it - a waiter)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Baby Jesus turns out well in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic post - such realism added to the story.
    I love them all - for all their foibles. It is what holds the story all together.
    Having said that, when my eldest was born just before Christmas ten years ago I began to understand what Mary went through. Holding a tiny baby and wondering what the future holds for it is bad enough when you don't know: how it must have been for her, holding the Son of God, is incomprehensible.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Emm, so God so loved the world that he sent his only son, yet sacrificed 14,000 other children. It does put it in another light. I'd forgotten about that part of the nativity. How did those parents cope?

    ReplyDelete
  16. And shurely it's nuh-tivity? N'tivity sounds a bit like "n" as they make kids learn their phonics here now - more like a French "un" but with a proper English n. Or even a "n' without anything at either end. Blimmin' difficult to say which is why presumably they are trialling it on 4 year olds.

    I know you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful, thoughful post on the Christmas Story. It certianly puts thyings into perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely post. I grew up very familiar with the story, and remember well the line of Mary's, but rarely think about it now.

    I have to admit I can't think of the nativity without thinking of the opening scene of "Monty Python's Life of Brian" where Michael Palin, in drag as Mary, screeches "A bomb?" when the Magi offers the Myrhh, (a balm).

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for all your continued support on my blog. I really enjoyed reading your thoughts on the nativity. It's heartbreaking all those babies slaughtered by the hand of Herod. I think having my own baby now makes it so much more sad to me.

    ReplyDelete