Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Learn to Dress Kitty

This is it. This is my least favourite toy in the shop.

It's the Learn to Dress Kitty. The idea behind it is that you use this friendly fun cat to teach your child all about clothes fastenings. See, there's a zip (zipper), a button, and shoes with laces on the front, and various hooks and eyes and other things on the back. It retails at $34.99. We also sell a wooden shoe with laces, for $14.99. Same idea, but just a large wooden shoe. No cute cat. It's my second least favourite toy in the shop.

The reason I hate these items so much is this. You just don't need them. Trust me. I've had three children. You truly don't. Here's why (and it's not rocket science). You can use your child's own clothes to teach them how to do fastenings!

"Wait a minute!" I hear you interject. "It's easier for the child to learn on an object in front of them, than on clothes on their own body." I've thought of that, and I have a selection of answers.

First, it actually probably isn't.

Second, what is the point of teaching your child a skill that's easier than the one they need in daily life? What good is it if your child can operate that taut, easy-to-pull 2-inch zip, if at preschool they need to be able to do up their own wrinkly, tricky-to-pull 10-inch zip? Eh? Tell me that. How impressed will the beleaguered preschool teacher be if they say "I can do the Kitty one at home"? Not very.

Third, even if it were helpful to have a teaching aid that the child isn't wearing, even if it were helpful to have easier fastenings to start learning on, even then, this is still a total waste of $34.99, because guess what? You can use an ordinary shoe to practise laces. You can use your handbag or a pair of jeans to practise zips. You can use a cardigan to practise buttons.

There are so very many things that are worth spending $34.99 on. Plus tax. If you still aren't persuaded, if you're still tempted to purchase this toy, or teaching aid, or whatever it is, then STOP right now. Buy a puzzle, or a doll, or a teddy, or Monopoly, or write a cheque to Oxfam. You're still liking the kitty? I hate this toy so much that I am almost at the point of offering to pay my own travel expenses to your house, where I will take you by the hand, and lead you to your own wardrobe, and help you find items which you have right there which will do the same job. It could be a life-changing releasing moment for you.

Quite apart from not buying into the whole idea behind this toy (had you noticed?), I have some issues with the details of the design. The staring eyes... The fact that the zip is so short (what's the point of a 2-inch zip?)... But most of all (and this REALLY annoys me), that orange button under the cute cat chin? See it? It's not even a real functioning button. It's a decorative button. What IS the point of having a button on a learn-to-dress toy, that doesn't have a button hole to go through? Aaaargh...

Before I self-combust in the heat generated by my own ire, I just have to show you this.

Yes, it's the equivalent toy for boys. The Learn to Dress Monkey. I hate it with the same passion, though at least the two buttons on the front are functioning (one with a button hole, the other with an odd loop arrangement that you never ever see on clothes). And there are poppers (snaps, in the US) too. But I have to tell you this about the monkey. In this picture, he's holding the banana in one hand, and his tail in the other. But in the toy shop, he hangs on a rack with both hands fully extended down in front holding the banana - they both attach to it, and (visualise it, go on) it just looks very rude.

Here's my final thought. (If you're not persuaded by now, I'm thinking you're probably beyond my reach on this item.) If your child struggles to do up laces, don't buy the kitty, the monkey or the wooden shoe. Join the rest of Planet Motherhood, and buy shoes with velcro! That $34.99 could buy a very nice pair.

20 comments:

  1. My child can dress the actual cat, much to his annoyance. Now that is real talent! Maybe a more interactive toy, with real claws would be a better teaching aide!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of these toys are just a commercial stunt. Probably not even meant to help a child.
    I do agree with what you say.
    I've seen children having more fun with a few wooden spoons and pans from the kitchen.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love geekymummy's comment, oh poor little kitty! but there again my boys dress the dogs so not much better then...it never ceases to amaze me what people will buy for their kids. I think most do it in panic that they are not good parents if they don't!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tattie -

    That is exactly the point. You have hit the nail on the head. That is why I am so full of anger against this poor defenceless kitty. It represents all the ways in which we parents are preyed upon and manipulated by the commercial world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally get the pointlessness of this, and I can't say it's ever something I'd have thought of buying, but is it really worse than chewing gum pictures? I'm still having nightmares about them...

    ps Geekymummy still making me laugh (and Tattie Weasle's) - hadn't realised this was a hazard of pets. Was thinking of a goldfish for L's birthday, but not if she's going to put my clothes on it...

    ps what do you do in the shop when someone brings one to the till?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sprint silently out of the back door, vomit quickly in the gutter, scream three times, yell an obscenity, head back in, smile nicely and ask "Do you need a birthday card to go with that today?"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the last comment!!
    It does seem like a particularly pointeless toy. Because it's Christmas, I'm going to choose to give its creator the benefit of the doubt and believe that they happen to have no children themselves, but thought it was a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So let me get this straight that's 34 dollars & 99 cents for a thoroughly pointless toy. the world's gone mad

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh you are so wasted there. We have toyshops here too. Move to Mesopotamia.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Totally agree with you, Iota.
    I'd say the only buyers of that "toy" would be people without children, who know nothing about children. Probably the same kind of person who came up with the idea in the first place!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with planb on this one... I get that the dress up doll is over priced and useless, but I think the "paint with gum thing" is worse. I can't imagine anyone who is not an 8 year old boy wanting to even be in the same room with something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i totally agree. these items are pointless. they made me do the following, which i recommend:

    1) cut up yours and old kid clothes, remove all fastenings, all varieties.

    2) stitch up a bag from plain fabric; add handles.

    3) stitch your fastenings to bag. zips, buttons, poppers, elastics. add laces, trims, toys.

    4) go shopping with bag and kid. woman at toy library sees you. donate bag to her, plus ten more, and you save the toy library a bunch of cash and get rid of your old clothes in the bargain.

    win win.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Completely pointless I agree! So much cheaper to grab something in your wardrobe and let kids play with that instead. They don't even look attractive, although you have reminded me that my daughter does not know how to tie a pair of shoe laces. Hoe much did you say it was again?!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I totally agree. Just another useless toy to have to pack up at the end of the day. I think it would be best to use that money for something the kids would actually play with, or put it towards a pair of shoes for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  15. your blog is bloody brilliant - what fantastic posts I have just caught up on . Happy Christmas Iota xxxx

    ReplyDelete