Saturday, December 4, 2010

Farewell, red mullet


I have a little curly red mullet on the back of my neck. I do. Thing is, I got really very used to having thick curly hair, and I loved it. It’s now reverted to straight and thin, and almost all the waves have gone. There are just a few tight curls left at the bottom, at the back, and I haven't been able to bring myself to have them trimmed off. I also Clairoled my hair red, and hit lucky on a colour that is very nice (though I say it myself). I even remembered to keep the top of the box, so that I can buy the same one next time.

I’ve been loathe to cut off my curls. I didn’t like them at first, but as time passed, I got very fond of them. Having cancer seems to involve endless rearrangement of your mental furniture. I’d rearranged it to embrace the idea of curly hair, and then I had to go about re-rearranging it to re-embrace the idea of getting my straight hair back. I knew it would revert over time. I just didn’t know “over time” meant a few weeks. I thought it would be months or even years. By the time I’d got to like having curly hair, it was time to U-turn back again.

Losing your hair is a big deal. In a way, though, it’s no bad thing. It's easier to focus on losing your hair, than on having cancer. I’m beginning to wonder if it’s not really an inevitable side-effect of the drugs, but a result of some product that the medics deliberately add. Maybe they know that thinking about losing your hair is the easier option, and consider it an act of kindness to make that happen.

So yes, I enjoyed my curls, but I’ve held onto them for reasons beyond the curliness itself. There’s a feeling that they’re a part of me now. Somehow cutting them off feels like the end of an era. It’s not an era I liked, but it was an era. I didn’t have any photos taken of me when I was bald – I didn’t want to preserve the look for posterity. But I wish I had. That was me, whether I liked it or not, and I wish I had a picture to look back on and say “yes, that was me”. But I have got photos of the curlicued Iota. I’ll be able to look back and say “ooh, get me with my curly 2010 hair!”

But even I can see that an aging diminutive curly-at-the-bottom red mullet is not the most attractive of looks, and so the little hoops must go. It’s one thing to enjoy a season of ringlets; it’s quite another to go around in polite society with straggles dripping down your neck. In the past year, I have gone through so many looks: Gandhi, Sinead O’Connor, Obama, Showaddywaddy. Time to take control, and get me to a salon.

Here’s a photo of them, though, for you to enjoy before they go.



Farewell, little curly red mullet.

Top photo credit: Philippe Guillaume, Flickr

12 comments:

  1. this post fills me to the brim with emotion. your hair is lovely. i suspect you were lovely bald, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope the change will be part of a new, exciting and healthy future. Love the colour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh..... Iota...... you mean my new manageable hair is going to be lost in a few months?
    Yours is lovely!
    I hardly have to do anything to mine. It used to be fine and poker straight. Now it has a slight lift and is thicker....... sigh!
    You are right, everything is traumatic with cancer and it comes in different phases.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd been wondering recently how your hair was coming on (as you do, wondering about people you've never met)and have been meaning to email you. My hair went through something very similar, althouhg I never mastered the dye, and now is pretty much back to normal. It came back very grey initially but even that has moderated. This time 3 years ago it had all just fallen out. As the gynaecologist said at the time "Your hair will fall out but hair grows back".

    Glad to hear you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wouldn't call it straggly - more lightly tousled, a la Maggie Gyllenhal or someone. Nice. Still, I can see that maybe in the land of big hair, that doesn't work! Looking forward to hear about the next version of the new look Iota.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you got a good recipe for the red mullet?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that colour. I would do mine in that shade if I could be sure I wouldn't look like a vampire!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the colour. What is your new style going to be?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that colour and wow your hair grows fast! (Thinking of how it was in July, that is...) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, at the risk of sounding repetitive, I love that colour too, & yr hair looks so shiny. Mine is wavy which I really like,but the down side is you just dont get the shine in the same way as with straight hair.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do like your mullet. And this post even more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not sure that's a mullet at all. Looks pretty stylish (and very youthful) to me (and like others I love the colour so am delighted you're sticking with that, even if not the curls.

    ReplyDelete