Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Running deep

Bloggy Peeps, I wish you'd been here this evening. You would have enjoyed the moment.

I was at my book club, and the member hosting the evening was offering us all drinks. She offered water, and said

"I have water or sparkling water. In fact, let me offer it to you as they do in England. Would you like stale or sparkling? I tell you, that was quite a shock, the first time I heard that. We were in London at a theatre, and in the intermission we went to the bar, and the bar tender asked us if we'd like stale or sparkling water. Didn't sound very nice: stale water! We ordered sparkling."

We were all chuckling merrily about the eccentricities of the English, which I don't mind at all, because it's a hundred per cent kindly meant, and actually, I quite like being called upon to represent an eccentric nation. "Ha ha ha, no, doesn't sound very nice at all, does it? Stale water, ha ha ha". But then gradually I became aware of a sensation in my head that felt like a memory knocking at the door, asking to be let out, and the cogs of my brain started turning slowly... slowly... until... Ping! I had it.

"STILL!" I declared. "Still water. Not stale water. Still water!"

I am a little worried that it took me a minute to access this information, and that it wasn't automatic. I am crossing rather too many lines. But the delay allowed for some nice comic timing, and there was much ensuing hilarity.

Just wish you'd all been there, Bloggy Friends.

12 comments:

  1. How funny! Maybe the bartender had a cockney accent? Love these little mistranslations; divided by a common language!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant! The still/sparkling choice is a problem abroad too: we always get confused in Spain with 'con gas' or 'sin gas' . It was all so much simpler with tap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder how she'd have coped with "flat or fizzy"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Comic timing. It can't be taught, you know. You either have it or you don't...

    Love
    Josephine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good. I bet the pause helped indeed.

    We got confused in Germany - if you ask for water in some places there, they just don't get it and come back with lemonade. You actually have to ask for "flavourless water."

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think it's rather bold of her to proclaim "how they do it in England" when you are sitting right there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Phew - glad you figured it out! I had completely blanked. I still ask for fizzy here and get quizzical looks all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yes, I worked this one out q quickly, she said not very modestly, but only because my daughter does this sort of thing all the time. She talks about Deren in her class instead of Darren, Kaarol (instead of Karl)& he rteacher is Texan, so can just here 'stiyul' for 'Stll'.
    I enjoyed the post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hilarious. Had no idea this was an English trait. What do they call still water here then?

    Btw, I never know what to say when I want tap water? Considering taps are called faucets.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stale water? Stale water? You have been over there a loooong time!

    ReplyDelete