Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Sleuth in action

Bloggy Friends, never let it be said that I slack in the quest to bring you knowledge, wisdom, and intellectual satisfaction. Since none of you, no, no, not one, could enlighten us all on the aseptic drinks issue, this morning when I went to Dillons, I decided to take my enquiries to the very site of the aseptic drinks mystery itself.

At the checkout, I engaged the friendly Jacob in my first level enquiry. He said that he, too, had often wondered what aseptic drinks were, and we pondered the issue together. Then he spotted the Assistant Store Manager, and called him over.

"I have a curious question for you", he said.

I'm including his exact words, because it's an opportunity to point out that in America, the word curious is used to mean inquisitive or enquiring, as in Curious George (the theme tune for which, "Upside Down", always makes me want to cry, I don't know why). In British English, the word curious means intriguing, unusual, peculiar. In American English, it's the subject of the action that's curious. In British English, it's the object. (I'm sorry, I have to tell you stuff like this. It's the way I'm made.)

Back to Dillons. Now, I have to say that we might have done better with the groceries manager. I think he would work with the detail of grocery vocabulary on a day to day basis, and would have had it down. The Assistant Store Manager, Barry, looked a little blank, and said

"It's the Gatorades and that kind of drink".

Bloggy Peeps, I thought of you, and I just knew you weren't going to be satisfied with that. I've been in America long enough that I'm a pretty assertive customer in shops these days (you'd be embarrassed to go shopping with me in England, I tell you), so I probed a little deeper.

"Yes, but what does it mean?"

I think the fundamental problem with the situation at this point was that Barry was with someone else, and no-one likes losing face in front of a colleague. So he hid behind his initial assertion, and repeated

"The Gatorades, those sports-type drinks. That's how the company defines it, anyway".

I assume he was invoking the authority of "the company" to bring the conversation to a close, so Jacob and I shared a companionable shrug, and I let the matter pass. But I know why he didn't want to talk about it any further. It was because he didn't know what aseptic drinks are. Relax, Barry. Nobody does.

They don't call me Iota Sherlock Manhattan for nothing. Actually, they don't call me Iota Sherlock Manhattan at all. Nonetheless, I have emailed Dillons customer services, because... we need to know. Aseptic drinks. I'm on the trail.

21 comments:

  1. Good look Sherlock. I like the new title

    ReplyDelete
  2. And here's a thing - you're nearly famous for your investigative skills... because you've got me wondering too, so I googled "aseptic drinks". Which of course I'm sure you've done, but I thought I might as well, having never (before your last post) having heard the term before... and the third thing that gets brought up? Why yes, missy, it's this very post!

    Anyway, wondering - is it something to do with the packaging? (she says because tetrapak was the first thing that came up) Things that don't go off? "Long life" in other words?

    That's my guess anyway - if I'm right do I win a prize?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Plan B, well, let's hope Dillon's customer service don't use your approach, or I'll be uncovered!

    And, sadly, no prizes on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am rather curious to know the answer to this puzzle. I wonder if Dillions even knows ....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well being a (former) news reporter I had to put my investigative hat on too. In other words I just googled it, and this story came up:

    http://www.beveragedaily.com/Markets/Aseptic-filling-storming-soft-drinks-market

    Sounds like it's a kind of production technique, to do with not having to add preservatives?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It gets curiouser and curiouser! If the drink is so evasive then it can't be much good!
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  7. Am impressed with your investigative skills. I hope you crack the case eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It just reminds me too much of septics tanks and toilet-y stuff to ever want to try any.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beveragedaily.com? Wow. That's a niche publication. Or is it advice for life?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with Expat Mum, too close to septic for my liking!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Long time blog lurker who couldn't avoid a bit of sleuthing! There's a wikipedia page on 'aseptic processing' which seems to indicate that 'aseptic drinks' would be another name for what (at least in Canada) we refer to as 'Tetra Paks' or 'drink boxes'. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aseptic_processing

    Lovely blog, by the way. I always enjoy reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I too was curious once you posted the last blog and had to investigate these so called Aseptic Drinks. The best information was on a website called "WasteAge." It stated that basically these drinks are what we call "juice boxes." Here is the link
    http://wasteage.com/mag/waste_profiles_garbage_aseptic/

    I hope this helps Iota Sherlock!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Clearly I'm behind in blog reading, and missed a chance to be miss smarty pants with this one since several people above have stumbled on the correct answer with their fierce google skillz. That said, I do think it's a strange thing to label the drinks in the store with a technical term about their packaging. We don't label the frozen pizzas with "snack items contained in shrink plastic wrap and then a cardboard box" last time I checked...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Crikey, Americans love making words up don't they? And making things sound more technical than they actually are. As if life isn't complicated enough. When you finally find one let us know what it tastes like.

    ReplyDelete
  15. that tune makes me a bit weepy too, though that's totally off the point.
    I always think 'acerbic' when I see aseptic but that's cos they LOOK similar & are words you read rather than hear & they look similar even tho they sound v different. Eithe rway I wdn't want an acerbic drink anymore than an aseptic one.
    ok so that was a toatlly random off the point comment, all in all. I'll leave now......

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aseptic, eh? Is it a bit like 'ambient' food that recently got UK supermarket shoppers all a-twitter? Doesn't sound massively delicous, must admit. I now have a picture in my mind of people drinking vinegar.

    The music for In the Night Garden makes me cry. Not entirely sure why, but suspect it's because of the fleeting nature of the most innocent stage of childhood, etc. Could just be that it means 'bedtime' and I wish I could roll under the duvet too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. angelsandurchins Night Garden does that for me too. And the "The time has come to say goodnight" song of cBeebies. And anything about harvest. Although I think I may be getting over the latter as 7 yo's school harvest assembly yesterday included a barking mad song about fluffy cauliflowers or something. Extraordinary, and not a plough the fields and scatter to be seen. I agree about the fleetingness bit - and actually the safety and comfort which is being peddled to these trusting little souls. Utterly lovely - and I am usually a huge cynic.
    Someonesmrs x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooh, fascinating - though what a bizarre answer.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well in my line of work 'aseptic technique' means handling things in such a way as to avoid bacterial contamination. I would hope most packaged beverages are aseptic, ie free from bacteria!

    ReplyDelete