Sunday, September 12, 2010

Shorthand phrases

There are a few shorthand phrases that people round here use. I don't know if they're universal in the US, or local usages. I'd be interested to find out - if anyone wants to enlighten me. When you're new and haven't learnt the local lingo, they sound very bizarre.

1) You hear about people 'holding' children. This is short-hand for 'holding back from starting school in the academic year in which they would be entitled to do so'. If you feel your summer-birthday child isn't ready for Kindergarten, you can start them a year later. How many British parents would love that flexibility! Until you understand the short-hand, and unless the context helps you, this does make for some puzzling conversations. You might hear a mother say "We decided to hold Esmerelda because that seemed right for her. We didn't hold Grizelda though. She was a different case. No way would we have held her." It sounds very cruel and cold-blooded doesn't it? Those poor children, denied their parents' physical affection...

2) People talk about 'walking'. This took me a while to figure out. A friend was talking about a teacher at school, and said "she must be about the same age as my sister, because I remember they walked together". I assumed this was an exercise regime. But then I had a conversation a few weeks' later with a student who was telling me "I'm hoping to walk in the summer, but if I can't fit it all in, then I'll have to walk at Christmas". To walk means to graduate - from the graduation ceremony, I assume.

3) The YMCA here is almost always referred to as 'the Y'. You're probably wondering why on earth it comes up in my conversations at all. Well, the Y operates for most people very much as a council leisure or sports centre does in the UK. Everyone uses it for swimming, gym facilities, exercise classes, sports, and children's activities (gymnastics, dance, swimming, team sports). So it is very much a part of daily life, and it's always called 'the Y'. I heard on the radio this summer that the national organisation has decided to change its name officially from the YMCA to The Y. They can't do that! What about the song?

In return, here's an English usage which must sound very odd to American ears, until they get used to it. I've had to stop myself, whenever I've been going to say it. How bizarre it would sound to local people here if I asked them "what date does school break up?" It would be even more bizarre if I asked (as would be perfectly normal in the UK) "when are your kids breaking up?" It conjures a disturbing visual image. Perhaps it's the children who weren't held who break up.

16 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I must confess I've never heard of either of the first terms being used, maybe it is a local thing ?
    On the other hand...I've heard of the "Y" as it is referred to, most people know what they are talking about.
    I still say 'holiday' and not vacation, and come to think of it, I think I've said about the children breaking up from school on more than one occasion, maybe that's why I got the strange look ;)
    Funny ole world innit it !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here above the 49th I've never heard any of those phrases except, of course, the Y. Perhaps this is one of those 'cultural' differences we Canucks are always on about but can't quite define!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard of the Y and Holding but not walking. And you're right, breaking up sounds down right sadistic now you mention it

    ReplyDelete
  4. i've had to learn a whole new vocab for teaching(mostly Americans) in an international school. I have to ask them to put things in my 'cubby' not 'pigeon' hole, to see me at recess, not break, to 'turn work in' not 'hand it in', to ask for an eraser, not a rubber, to grade, not mark & to say 'good job' not 'good work'. the latter, I'm afraid I just can't brign myself to do for some reason. I think it's because it reminds me too much of supervising potty training....
    Today I got asked what I meant by 'car park' in a sentence I wrote on the board. How can that not be understandable?? But then these conversations happen all the time as I am teaching English to Americans. & it certainly makes for interesting conversations

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's definitely the Y here as well, and people DO talk a lot about holding back their kids - I'm not sure if they drop the 'back', so I'll have to listen more carefully next time.

    It's interesting, because Littleboy 2 misses the cut off date for starting school by a week, and I asked the preschool teacher if there was any chance he might move up to the older year, so he'd be in the 'right' year when we return to the UK. She replied that it's very unusual here to do that; people are much more inclined to hold their kids back because they are not ready.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's a lot of "holding back" in these parts. My husband said (in the south, at least) many parents used to do that with boys so that they would be one of the biggest on the sports teams, rather than the smallest. Our school won't do it unless there's a significant developmental problem, (which there usually isn't.)
    Haven't heard of walking - sounds very southern to me though.
    And yes, the Y. Most people here don't even know what YMCA stands for, but they are great places for the local community.
    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I havent heard any of those phrases except for 'The Y.' I think that phrase was used even when my dad was young. Also, thats how my 16 yo step-son refers to it here.

    I wonder if some things are regional in the States though?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, in Texas we do talk a lot about "holding back." As in, "Memphis was held back one year." There is also a thing a lot people do which is "birdge into kindergarten" meaning they send their kid to a small private kindergarten for a year and will then enroll them in public kindergarten the following year.

    I haven't ever heard of anyone doing this for sport reasons, although I it wouldn't completely shock me.

    The only time I have heard people use "walk" instead of graduation is when they were actually students who weren't sure if they would get to "walk with the class" or not, but someone told me "I walked with her in 1985" I would be really confussed for a while.

    Yes, I have heard people say "the Y". I think that one is universally American Slang.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm, here we speak of holding children back (phrased a bit differently) and commonly refer to the YMCA as the Y. I agree with you though about the permanent change. I love that song!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've heard the term "walking" referring to graduation - asking people if they're going to bother to walk (at a very large public university - not everyone bothers to attend graduation as it's so impersonal), and when high school kids are allowed to graduate but not allowed to walk as a punishment for some misdemeanor.

    I'd almost forgotten the phrase 'breaking up' referring to the end of school!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My kids daycare is part of the Peninsula Y! I love the Y. And the song too!

    Here they say 'held back' from kindergarten, and yes, I've heard people say walk (the stage, I guess) for graduation. My daughter is fascinated by our different accents at the moment, and keeps asking me to say water and tomato!

    ReplyDelete
  12. GAAAAAAAAHHHHH. We love the new look but your godson is in bits cos de hedgehog has disappeared!

    Love Josephine
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the new look and the name is superb!

    I've never heard of the walking thing, most peculiar. Breaking up from school is very funny, never thought of it as being that traumatic but it does sound it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. 1- No
    2- No
    3-Yes

    But I've lived in the Uk for the good part of the last 18 years so what do I know?

    ReplyDelete
  15. From an Ohio and California perspective:

    1. no
    2. no
    3. Yeah -- that's common pretty much everywhere.

    Yay for pockets of local lingo!

    ReplyDelete