Saturday, September 11, 2010

The blog that will never be

Well, the book News to me is going to Shirley, who was number 1 in the comments. Congratulations (if you can be congratulated on an achievement based entirely on random computer selection). I have emailed you, Shirley, to ask for your address, but if it doesn't reach you, then please email me.

I am itching, itching, ITCHING to start a new blog entitled Tales from the Toy Shop (thanks for that suggestion, Plan B), because after two days in my job, I’m telling you, there is blog fodder a-plenty. I’m not going to, though, as you never know who is reading your blog, and I don’t want to be dooced.

First of all, there are the characters who work there. It figures, I suppose. I mean, you’re going to have characters in a toy shop, aren’t you? I wonder why they recruited me. I’m jolly normal and ordinary! I’ll just have to put that down as one of life’s puzzles...

Then there are the intriguing customers, whose stories I would love to know. The woman who came in, put a toy on the counter, didn’t meet anyone’s eyes, and said “I’ve got the receipt for this, it isn’t broken or anything, there isn’t anything wrong with it, it’s just that he didn’t play with it at all, he didn’t like it, there’s no problem with it or anything, but he just didn’t like it so I’m going to change it for something else, I have the receipt and it’s in the original packaging”. And it was – in the original packaging. Well, sort of. It was in the original box, but of course you can’t actually get a toy back into its packaging, with all those odd-shaped bits of cardboard and those irritating plastic tags. It was a toy for a 1 year old - a chunky plastic truck - so really, there wasn’t much for a 1 year old to like or dislike. She picked out a very similar toy for the exchange. And then also bought another toy using a Groupon coupon (have you all discovered Groupon yet?)

What about the online order that came in for a Hello Kitty playset to be sent to an American Forces Overseas address in Afghanistan? That’s a story I would dearly love to hear. Is it a joke present for a squaddie? Or does someone want to be reminded of their daughter back home? Perhaps a soldier has befriended a local child. A tale to be told, for sure.

You’ll enjoy this one. There was a customer who was looking for a present for a 10 year old, who’s just had a bedroom makeover. I asked what the colours were, and it was black and white. So I showed her, helpfully, a big round cushiony zebra, which I thought would be cool for a trendy 10 year old's bed. It was half soft toy, half snuggly pillow. I was just looking at it more closely (which was a bit awkward as it was hanging high up), wondering if it was a clever rolled-up sleeping bag, or perhaps something to put your pyjamas in, when the toy shop owner kindly intervened and stopped me selling the customer a baby play mat. This is it.

I’ve learnt to spot the homeschoolers. You know how? I work from 10.00 to 3.00, so if someone comes in with children of school age, they’re homeschoolers. But I think I could spot them on a Saturday too. They spend AGES in the shop. I think they’re probably trying to fill in time, (which the rest of us do by sending our children to school... Hello? That's what school is for...).

See? It’s potentially a blog post a minute in the toy shop, and I haven’t even started on what's for sale. There’s:

an inflatable turkey (think dining table, not farmyard),

whacky hand puppets (including a flying tree squirrel, a frog in a space-ship, a sinister crow, a leathery turtle, a very weird leggy alien grasshopper, a pig with wings, and yay! a buffalo!),

fabulous books (I couldn’t resist buying Mom and Dad are palindromes), and

fake dog poo in a spray can (it’s called Instapoop, if you ever need to ask for some).

Ah alas, for the toy shop blog that will never be.

10 comments:

  1. Thank you so much! I replied to your email and you should be in receipt of it shortly!

    Too bad for the blog that will never be....would have been quite entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the bits about the toy shop. Perhaps you could occasionally let us know about the stories that you can't tell us about?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pity that you can't disguise things so that you could write about this toy shop because you have definitely captured my imagination with it.
    I would love to think that a soldier in Afghanistan wanted the toy for a local child out there, but *Hello Kitty*! Seems a bit unlikely.
    I think that customer who expected the exchange might have been using you as a toy library.Bit of a cheek.
    There seem to be no end to the blog fodder there, I do agree.
    Interesting post!
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how interesting, perhpas a regular segment, tales from the toyshop?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, I think Tales from the Toyshop could be an occasional feature. It's fascinating. You could turn it into a novel.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely needs to feature every once in a while. I would love to hear about your colleagues but can understand perfectly how they might react if they happened upon your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovin' the tales from the toyshop! how many ways anyway can one reinvent toys? countless it seems. i been hearing about "shaped" rubber bands being the new craze...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm equally thrilled and horrified by the idea of Instapoop. It could be hours and hours of fun for my brood.... but is it the kind of fun I want them to be having? But actually do I really care so long as they're busy and not needing me?

    So thank you (I think!).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mom and Dad are palindromes?! Awesome, i have to go find that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow - a toy shop. how fabulous. i've been totally mulling a career change. perhaps i will follow suit.... (think i'd rather work in one in the states though. the georgetown one would do very nicely....)

    ReplyDelete