Thursday, December 31, 2009

The old year ends

Well, 2009 is over. Something of a turbulent year in my life. Though I have sniffed out gains, it has largely been a year of losses. I have found strengths, but I have also met some of my limitations (I hate that). I have done things, and had things done to me, that I would never have chosen. But that is how life is. It’s not a Woolworth’s pick ‘n’ mix, where you can opt out of the liquorice allsorts. It’s not a modern day Christmas present, with the gift receipt in the envelope so that you can exchange it for something else more to your taste. You take the rough with the smooth, and somehow try and find your way through.

(I think I might have used these analogies already on the blog. Anyone know how you can do a keyword search through previous blog posts, without going through them one by one? Should I be keeping them all in a large Word document? Ed.)

This year, I’ve faced things I didn’t plan to face just yet. I’ve looked into the jaws of my own mortality, and squared up with two things: how insignificant my life is, and how significant my life is. Both are burdensome truths. I’ve found that the best strategy to deal with them is to look them straight in the eyes, but not for long, and then turn away to get on with the fabulous reality of daily life. It’s like wearing sunglasses on a very bright day. If you don’t have them, you squint all the time, and your eyes hurt, and it’s a continual distraction. So you wear them, but every now and again, you feel the need to take them off and screw up your eyes against the light, just to see how intense the colour of the sky really is. The brightness is there all the time, but you don’t want to look at it too much. It’s a relief to put those sunglasses back on and get on with the day, and then you forget about the brightness.

This year, I realized more than ever how important writing is to me. This blog, and the excuse it provides for my incessant drivel, has seen me through. I would write it if nobody at all read it. But you do, and that makes it a thousand times better.

I want to thank you all so much. This isn’t a glib “Thank you, I love you all, Happy New Year”. This is a heartfelt thank you. I know that reading about someone with cancer is not a very joyful thing to do. I know that it is more fun to read about the sweet things people’s children have said or done, or tales of expat life abroad. So thank you for not clicking away. Thank you to those of you who knew me before this year. Thank you to the new people who’ve taken the trouble to get to know me. Thank you to those of you who’ve commented. Thank you to those of you who’ve emailed me. Thank you to those of you who've read and lurked. Lurkers are nice people too. In the words of Hank Williams, “Hey, good lurkin’, what ya got curkin’?”

Most of all, thank you for writing your own blogs. Reading them is like keeping busy on a sunny day, with sunglasses on. When I started this blog in the summer of 2007, I was horribly homesick, and I used to read lots of blogs about England. At that time, a large number of people had recently started blogs about country life, in response to a competition run by the magazine of that name to find a blogger for the publication. There was a real excitement around as people shared stories and pictures of their lush flower beds, their burgeoning vegetable patches, the domestic projects in their homes. It was a rather unBritish blowing of own trumpets – in a very British understated way, of course. You might have thought it would have made me more homesick – all those colourful pictures of roses in full bloom, beautiful shots of the English countryside, accounts of trips to National Trust properties, complaints about the rain (it was a record-breakingly rainy summer, 2007). But it didn’t. Somehow it helped, just knowing that it was all going on, even if an ocean away, and without me.

In the same way, this summer, your blogs kept a window open for me on normal life. I was ill, and sad, and fearful. I saw too much of my own four walls. Reading your blogs, reading about your joys, your woes, your excitements, your disappointments, the magnificent trivia of your daily lives, all of it helped me keep a hold on the fact that normality was still happening, even if it felt at times a long way away, and without me.

So thank you, for being part of my blog, and for letting me be part of yours. Happy New Year to you all.

.

31 comments:

  1. Happy New Year to you. I hope that 2010 really is a happy one for you after the turbulence of 2009. Just wanted to say that you are one of my favourite bloggers and I'll always be interested in what you have to say. Keep writing. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your blog. Hope you have a happy and healthy new year. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have throughly enjoy reading your blog. I hope the 2010 brings you new joy and adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a wonderful New Year. It has been fantastic to find you here and I look forward to reading your blog all the way through 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely well written post, you always put an original spin on your posts and i for one will certainly be popping back for more, i can't wait to hear about what 2010 has in store for you and here's hoping it's your best year yet x x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm one of your nice lurkers, popping up to say hello and Happy New Year! Thank you for your blog and I will continue to lurk in 2010, maybe even commenting a little more often!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh, I knew when I came over here and started reading this post I'd start welling up. You've had one hell of a year. I'll admit I only read half the post and then had to dash down to the comment section before I became far too emotional to make any sense. I know what your year has been like. I remember all those difficult posts and the time you closed comments for a while because you needed to. So pleased you are still blogging. Hope 2010 is a much better year for you and your family. It has to be. I'm sure I'm not the only reader wanting you to know we're with you all the way.

    Happy New Year! Hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year! I'm so glad I found your blog this year, I love your writing.

    Hope 2010 is a good year for you all.

    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year to you, hope it will be much better than the last.

    I'm so with you on how blogging is somehow so helpful, it's hard to tell why, but somehow, it's therapeutic - both reading and writing. In my own difficult year for different reasons I've come across many blogs who helped me make sense even if there is no real sense to be made. I'm very thankful for the blogging world.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here's to the new year! A better year, and hopeful year. I've enjoyed reading your blog very much, I am so grateful to have found it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year the most incredible Iota. You have been such an inspiration this year. Thank you for your honesty and continued blogging through it all. Upon finding your blog I feel as if I have found a friend - and I am so very grateful for that. I love your writing and insights into life. And I really appreciate your comments into mine - particularly because of the no BS factor!! Here's wishing you a great 2010, full of health and recovering brain cells, kids driving you bonkers and plenty of laughter. xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy New Year! =) I hope 2010 brings you as much peace, joy, love and happiness as tomorrow can promise to anyone!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lurker? I am most definitely a stalker... of the nicest kind, promise.
    You have been an inspiration. May 2010 be the year that keeps you going from strength to strength.

    LCM x

    ReplyDelete
  14. hey, you can search your blog for any word or term by typiing it in the box at the top left of your main page.

    here's to a 2010 that's beyond your wildest dreams. in a good way.
    i am glad to be back reading your wise and thoughtful blog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well here's to a new decade and whatever it may bring. I've really enjoyed getting to know you, via your blog, and strangley I feel like I have known you for ages. I have a very soft spot for fellow expats. BTW -- you've been away to long Woolies is gone (sad I know).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your blog has made me cry, been a source of research when I found my own lump and also made me chuckle at your great descriptions and brilliant sense of humour. I hope you have a wonderful 2010. You deserve it. Keep writing and we will keep reading. x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Here's hoping 2010 brings better tidings for you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thankyou, for writing through it. Happy new year. And maybe this year we'll finally get to have that coffee and cake... PMX

    ReplyDelete
  19. To you and your family a very Happy new Year! xxx MM

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a year for you. I hope you've really seen how inspiring youve been in that year for so many people--strangers (are fellow bloggers strangers?) as well as friends and family. Your powerful writing and amazing stories have touched so many people (I know I sound cheesy, but Im not going to edit). Here's to a happy, healthy, successful 2010 for all of us! xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy 2010 to one of my favorite bloggers; and thank you for sharing as you do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for writing your blog. It is a beautiful, delightfully written, honest blog of what is going on in your life, with all the ups/downs, sunglasses on, sunglasses off moments. I love it. Hope that 2010 involves less hospitals and doctors and brings options of new jobs in places that you want to go. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for your useful words left on my blog. Steroids were to blame, I think. I am going to discuss this on my pre assessment on the 11th.

    I have looked through your blog back numbers and I think that you have provided help even though you don't realise it. Just having some one else who knows what it is like, is very comforting indeed.
    I think that writing about cancer might put some people off but I also think that you have to be true to yourself and if you are having treatment for this wretched disease, then that is part of you (and me.) Can't very well stick it in a cupboard and forget about it!
    Thanks for being there. Maggie.

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  24. HAppy new year to you. Thanks for writing your blog. It's one of my favourites and most annoyingly, it's always spectacularly well written. Here's hoping 2010 holds less of the wrong kind of drama for you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy New Year! Do you realise we've been cyber friends for almost 3 yrs now?? Thanks for encouraging me when I 1st started blogging. You're one of my favourite blogs too, for lots of reasons!
    Am praying 2010 will be healthy & happy. AND also the year you get back to the U.K ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  26. A very happy New Year to you, and thank you to you too, for your lovely writing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Youre so right. Im there with you. Your blog is unquestionably worth a read if anybody comes across it. Im lucky I did because now Ive acquired a whole new view of this. I didnt realise that this issue was so important and so universal. You surely put it in perspective for me.

    ReplyDelete
  28. The old year ends. Welcome new year!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you for sharing what you are experiencing today even it is so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you so much for another helpful webpage. Where else can I find that kind of information written such the best way? I have a work that I’m at the moment working on, and I’ve been on the check for this type of information.
    Daily Deals

    ReplyDelete