Thursday, December 10, 2009

Obama and Santa

Did you all catch President Obama's speech on accepting the Nobel Peace Prize? I like the man. I'd love to invite him round for dinner, him and his good lady wife. They could bring the kids too. I expect he's too busy though.

One of the exciting things in his speech was a very fine example of what I was talking about here. Don't bother to click. I'll remind you. I was talking about how in England we say

"the baby wants to be fed",

but in both Scotland and America, that would be

"the baby wants fed".

In his Nobel speech, Obama was talking about the US being a moral standard bearer in the conduct of war, and he said:

"That is why I prohibited torture. That is why I ordered the prison at Guantanamo Bay closed."

See? If he'd been brought up in leafy Buckinghamshire, England, he'd have said

"That is why I ordered the prison at Guantanamo Bay to be closed".

I was listening to NPR, and they gave a pretty good broad-brush examination of the ideas in the speech, but honestly, for in-depth word by word analysis like this, you have to turn to 'Not wrong, just different'. Oh you must be so glad you read my blog.

Incidentally, since I know that you are on the edge of your seats with this post, I'm going to tell you about another of those items where Americans have followed the Scots rather than the English. Santa. Yes, jolly old Santa Claus. In England, he is quite definitely Father Christmas. When I lived in England I knew that the Americans called him Santa Claus, but I had no idea that the Scots did too.

And if you have any other questions on England, Scotland, America, Obama or world peace, then just drop me a line. I'll help if I can.

.

11 comments:

  1. Ah, maybe that is why Scottish hubby felt so at home when we lived in the US. I missed this speech and am SO GLAD I read your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed this speech too, but now i've read your post, I feel like I was there every step of the way.

    You sure you haven't been a beauty queen contestent - with a list of interests like Scotland, America and World Peace you'd be a contender!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear Iota. I'd be lost without you. Through into the mix my continental European roots, and you'll have an enormous Christmassy mess with the Christkind (Christchild?), Saint Nikolaus (who comes on the evening of December the 5th) and Knecht Ruprecht (who whips your bum when you haven't been good). You deserve a price for enhancing international understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The thing I liked about Obama's speech (I was at home off sick so I watched it) was that he accepted the Nobel Peace Prize and they gave us a speech about why war is necessary! Is it me?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too heard the NPR analysis but your post is definitely attuned to the finer detail! I'd have him to dinner too, and those gorgeous well-behaved girls.

    In England I always determinedly talked about Father Christmas, despite the encroachment everywhere of Santa. Now we are here I have given in to Santa Claus. For the time being. When in Rome...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Up north, we used to say "scallion" instead of Spring onion. I was teased mercilessly when I went down South for coming out with quaint little things like that. Imagine my delight when arriving here to find they were called "green onions" but just as often called - yes, "scallions". (OK, I need to get out more.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. England, Scotland, America, Obama or world peace... come on, you can make a longer list than that?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have not, in 30 years of living in the US and several months a year back visiting since moving to England, ever heard anyone say "The baby wants fed"

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a bit gutted that Louis is saying 'Santa'. I guess it's shorter and easier, but it just sounds wrong!

    ReplyDelete