Monday, December 14, 2009

Hair

Well, the good news after my previous post is that apparently chemobrain isn’t always permanent. It might only be with me for a year or so. Personally, my guess is that people just get very good at dealing with it, so that when a year has gone by, and a research scientist asks them if it has got better, they say “yes” and don’t mention that their house is littered with post-it notes of things to remember, and that they have stopped using sentences containing those long words that are liable to fall into that tricky gap between brain and lips. And the ones who don’t say “yes” say “chemobrain? What’s chemobrain? No, we definitely didn’t discuss it at my last appointment.“ Which could lead me into a whole reflection about the validity of empirical scientific research, but stay with me, because I’m not going down that path. No, today I’m talking HAIR.

The good news about hair is that it DOES grow back. Boobs - no, brain cells – maybe, hair – definitely yes. Hurrah for hair. And mine has started. But oooow, it is soooo sloooow. Think how patient you have to be to grow out a fringe or layers. Then imagine that your fringe is starting from zero, and that actually, your whole mop is starting from zero. We’re talking a loooong tiiiime.

They do warn you that it might grow back different to how it has been, but that over time, it will revert. Over time? How much time? What if the forces of reversion encounter the forces of aging moving in the opposite direction? Which is what might well happen in my case. For my hair (and this was a dark fear of mine) is growing in grey. It started off when I was a child as white blond, and has just got darker gradually throughout my life. From blond in my childhood, through fair in my 20s, through mid brown in my 30s, it had got as far as dark brown with a little grey in it. The half inch or so that I now have is black and grey together, but probably more grey than black. Like the brain cells, it’s as if chemo just skipped my body along a couple of decades. I hate that. By the time my hair has decided to revert to brown, it will be time for it to be grey anyway. I used to dye my hair to cover up the grey in a rather lackadaisical fashion, every now and again picking up a colour from Boots and seeing what it came out as. I foresee a future where I will have to be much more organized, pick a colour, stick with it, and get it done professionally every few weeks. Bother.

And here’s a cautionary tale. Be careful what you wish for. I’ve always had very fine hair (we thin-haired people use that word ‘fine’). I’ve always hated that, so I hoped that it might grow back a bit thicker, and I’d noticed that the grey hairs I did have were a bit thicker than their brown friends, so I thought it was a possibility. Well, it is growing back thicker, and guess what. I don't like it. It’s like having a doormat on my head. What happened to my lovely flyaway wispy fine stuff? I want to be ME again. ME, with the hair I complain about.

Last night, we were watching the last few minutes of Oprah at the White House, and I said to Husband “I look like Obama”. He is a patient man, and with a slightly puzzled expression, he replied “Erm, I don’t think you do look very like him”. “His hair! His hair!” I explained, “I have Obama’s hair!” Husband, who is as honest as he is patient, had to confess that yes, I do have Obama’s hair.

What’s a girl to do? Well, apart from sticking with the hats for a while, which I’ve become rather fond of actually, I’ve decided that I’m going to hope that an Obama cut becomes 2010’s top look for women. I mean, he’s got himself elected to the most powerful job in the world, he’s won the Nobel peace prize – surely it can only be a matter of time before his hairstyle catches on? Galloping quickly through the decades, we’ve had the Purdey cut (remember that one?), the Diana cut, the Rachel cut. Surely the time is ripe for the Obama cut?

Meanwhile, looking for a voice of sanity in a mad world, I was talking to 5-yo on the subject. “I’m a bit sad about my hair”, I said. “It’s not growing back the same as it used to be.” She thought about it for a few seconds, and replied “It’s ok”. Then thought a bit longer and repeated “It’s ok”.

I didn’t know whether she meant the hair was ok, or whether it was ok to be sad, but I found it comforting anyway. They know a thing or two about life, do 5 year olds.

“And,” she added, “now you match Daddy!”

.

13 comments:

  1. Oh how sweet! But I think she means it really is OK because she has you. Your hair doesn't matter to her. Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Obama's hair is rather nice actually (I was watching that programme too, aren't he and Michelle sweet?). It must be strange to have it grow back differently, but just think, you can do all kinds of things with thick hair that don't work with wispy. Time to try out a whole new look? x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember when Guinea Pig Mum's hair grew back, she also commented it was different - although I don't know if that's still true now. And as for having an Obama, you must remember a rather beautiful actress called Josette something in the early 80's (on Blake's 7, now that ages me); didn't she have the same haircut?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it always just that way, we get what we think we've always wanted, only to discover we liked what we had better? =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you're right. We want to be us, bits we complain about and all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is interesting. How we hate what we have, it drives us nuts, we wish to change it but when it does change we don't like it, it isn't us.

    You should listen to that 5 yo. They know stuff they do. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. It will be interesting to see how your hair turns out as it grows longer. Funny how a 5 year old doesn't think this sort of thing is as important as we do. I love their simplicity and sense of perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's not grey. It's salt and pepper. Very elegant. (it's all in the way you spin it you know). Your 5 year old sounds lovely

    ReplyDelete
  9. Actually sorry to sound sort of nerdy in a 'knowing too much about hair' way, but it's prob cos it's grey hair. ie grey hair is thicker & coarser, completely diff texture. I do remember readign why or how but can't remember now.... my AnnoDominiBrain
    Sounds v 80s having His n Hers hairdos, or maybe very American, or am i imagining that the 'His n Hers' sweaters thing??

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have pepper and salt hair and my salt is definitley thicker than my pepper and I promise i'm not that old. I asked my youngest if he liked it and his response was that I am beautiful. I think you probably are too to the ones that matter Obama hair or not!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for contacting Me!

    Now be grateful for ANY kind of hair that comes. I will be quite envious of it!
    I would like thick (as I have fine hair.)
    Look out for my post on wigs coming soon. Quite funny.

    No thankfully I don't have to take any drugs in the middle of the night. I will be taking steroids for a while though which I am not happy about. I am getting used to having no choice anymore.

    Glad you are getting on OK.

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  12. At least chemobrain doesn't have an impact on your writing. I love the honesty of your posts.

    5 year olds are so smart.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ah, iona, it's another thing to endure and wait out. your hair will grow in different, yes--curly, maybe, and a little coarser. but then it will become your hair again. you just have to be patient.

    i know this to be true, just as i know chemobrain to be temporary.

    hang in there, dear.

    ReplyDelete