Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Christmas tips

To tip or not to tip? Who do you tip at Christmas?

This year, we tipped the mailman. He made it kind of obvious, by leaving us a card explaining that routes were being rearranged, so that he would no longer be our mailman in 2010, and saying how much he’d enjoyed working our patch over the past however many years. I felt a bit obliged, but I didn’t mind, as he’s always been a fantastic mailman. He’s gone out of his way to make life easy – arranging to stop mail if we’re away (you usually have to go to the post office and fill in a form), and doing his best to deliver parcels that need signatures at convenient times.

I remember when I was a child, our paper boy adopted a similar strategy. He left a Christmas card wishing his customers a merry Christmas, and detailing the number of hours he spent on the round, the amount he was paid, and the amount he estimated it cost him to do the job (mostly wear and tear on his bike). The newsagent made the poor lad go round to each house and apologise in person. I suppose England in the 1970’s had less stomach for blatant tip solicitation than America in the 2000’s.

My worst Christmas tipping moment happened in Scotland a few years ago. The window cleaners had come round, and I was doing that thing of lurking around the house trying to avoid the rooms they were working on, but also trying to make it look as if I was totally relaxed and not doing that at all, just getting on with my normal business, which - as usual - was taking me from room to room every few minutes. On this occasion, not only was I lurking and roaming, but I was also cogitating the appropriateness of a tip.

I decided I would give them a Christmas extra. I imagined that being a window cleaner in Scotland in December didn’t have much warmth and cosiness about it, and that a Christmas tip might just provide a rare warm and cosy moment. So I went out the back door in search of the head window man. As I rounded the corner of the house, there he was, with his back to me, standing close to the house, doing up his flies.

Now, if this scenario took place today, a bit of American assertiveness having rubbed off on me in the 3 years we’ve been here, I think I’d say,

“Excuse me. I’d prefer it if you didn’t urinate against the wall of my house. You are very welcome to come inside at any time and use the bathroom. If you don’t want to do that, I’d appreciate it if you urinated at the far end of the garden, and not right next to the window of our guest bedroom, spotless though that window is – on the outside at any rate.”

But this was a few years ago, and I was far too British for that kind of approach. What I did was to fix my eyes on a spot somewhere to the north west of his face, and certainly far north of his fingers fumbling with the zip, and say,

“Um... er... um... this is for you” (thrusting the wad of notes towards him, the usual amount and the tip),

“and... um... er... um... Happy Christmas. Yes, um... Happy Christmas!”

He in turn looked at a point significantly to one side of me, and replied,

“Oh... er... um... thank you very much.”

It’s great being British, isn’t it?

.

14 comments:

  1. Found your blog via the Expat Blog website. I am in the midwest too, Indiana. I also used to be a Civil Servant in the UK and am now a stay at home mom (as my son already calls me and we have only been here for 2 months!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe he pee'ed on the side of your house! I think I would have been standing mouth agape in disbelief when he turned around. And he certainly wouldn't have been getting his Christmas tip. Or more likely i would have done exactly what you did and then muttered about it under my breath for the rest of the day. Yes, very British.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post really struck a chord with me. I thought it was just me that moves from room to room when the window cleaner is outside!
    As for the peeing...well! We have a chap who comes to do our garden once a week and it puzzles me that he never asks to use the loo. I've tried to fathom it out but have no idea where he relieves himself. Though he tends to the compost heap a lot and it's always excellent stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never tipped anyone like that, and back home in Virginia we had an amazing post office lady (very small town, she knows everyone by name). I kind of feel bad now... About the window cleaner, though! How horrible! I'd like to think I would have had the courage to tell him off, but likely I'd have done the same thing as you. I had a group of men replace the roof on a house I was renting. I'd see wads of toilet tissue blowing around the back yard after they left. Talk about both trying to fathom and not wanting to fathom at the same time. Needless to say, I let the tissue biodegrade wherever it blew to. I'm shuddering just thinking about it again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tipped the mailman this Christmas - I had no idea how much because it never occurred to me to do this in London, so I had to ask a fellow expat. He actually gave us two Christmas cards, one before the tip and one afterwards saying thank you! This would NEVER happen in London. I do think Americans are in general better at customer service, and therefore tipping seems more appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. NVG

    Yes, we received a thank-you card from the mailman after we'd tipped him. It was pre-printed, so all he'd had to do was fill in his name. Obviously provided by the post office. Made me realise that tipping your mailman is routine, and that we should have been tipping in previous years.

    My parents always tipped the postman, but in a rural area, you do get to know him/her over the year. In London, that wouldn't apply.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is obviously me being a dumb American, but I was with you until I read that you had a window washer. Is that just a Scottish thing or does everyone in the UK have window washers?

    I didn't tip my mail person because I never see them and only check my mail box when I know bills are due or my mom calls and asks if I have received the card she sent.

    I did, however tip the bus driver who takes me to work every morning. He is really nice and has waited for me to run up the block on more than one occassion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You do realize you can stop your mail with a simple online form?

    I'm very much not a fan of this sort of obligatory tipping of postal people, especially since I get all of my bills sorted with paperless online options. The recent UK postal strikes did not affect me one bit, as the only thing I usually need delivered is stuff from Amazon and they just switched from Royal Mail to Parcel Force or something.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bleugh. That is so disgusting. And so funny :-D

    Have a very Happy New year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, how British -- to feel embarassed/uncomfortable/uneasy/guilty for the other person (who SHOULD be embarassed/comfortable/uneasy/guilty)!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never understood the Christmas tipping thing but this explain why the window cleaners were lurking around! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there, I found you on the carival, I have never tipped the window cleaner or postm,an, but my inlaws do!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my! Would pee in his coffee the next time lol. I never asked for tips the first year I was a papergirl (in the 90's) but people just gave them to me... I was shocked I already got paid for delivering the paper I didn't expect extra!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm confused. . .In the US you don't tip postal employees with cash, it's not allowed. If you've gotten to know and appreciate a carrier or clerk's help, you give them cookies, never money. I'm a New Englander, maybe the post offices in the Midwest are corrupt somehow??? What a thought! Morag

    ReplyDelete