Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Seasonal offerings

I knew you’d all be fed up with the festive season by now, so I thought I’d give you a break from tinsel decorations and snow scenes, and reminisce with you about autumn. What? You think I took photos of autumn leaves a month ago, didn’t get round to writing the blog post, but am still determined to use them? You cynics.

I love autumn. It’s my favourite season, always has been. And I never knew how much I was missing out. The British autumn, I’m sorry to say, is really a bit thin, compared to the richness of the season here. You know how at the beginning of October, you get a few days where it is warm again and the sky is a deep blue, and everyone says how much they are appreciating this Indian summer? Well, this year, we had that kind of weather for about eight weeks, mid September to mid November. No rain, no wind, just day after day of perfect skies and exquisite warmth. The leaves that fell stayed dry, and raking them up was like building piles of cornflakes, rather than that sludgy mess that comes with raking wet British leaves. Altogether a different experience.

Nature seemed to appreciate the perfection of the weather too, and put on some beautiful displays. Trees in Britain have to get their shows done so quickly, and in the damp. A few days, and they need to get from green foliage to bare twigs. They manage a little colour, but have to speed on through to dead brown leaves pretty fast. The trees here have the luxury of week after week of slowly fading temperatures, and still have the energy to choreograph their colour changes with finesse. What impresses me most, is the way one tree can exhibit different colours at the same time. We had two trees in our garden that were, for days on end, red at the top, yellow in the middle, and still green at the bottom. Traffic lights. I couldn’t get far enough away from them to photograph them, more’s the pity, but here are some other examples I found.

Look how this tree shades itself from orange to green, left to right.



This one decided to do it from top to bottom.



These ones do it from the inside out. See how they’re red at the ends of their branches, but still green at the core, as if holding on to summer in their hearts while bravely waving their hands at the oncoming autumn.



Impressed? Just wait till you see this. Group choreography. These five babies have got together for a chorus line performance.



Great show, gals. (That isn't a floating roof, by the way. It's just that someone painted their store the exact same shade of blue as the autumn sky.)

Some trees are just too bursting with their own creativity to bother with that shading effect, and they mix up the colours in a great effusion. This one gives us a beautiful two-tone green and yellow.



I left in that stunning little red bush for you to see. What an effort it made – the least I could do was not to crop it out of the picture.

This one couldn’t wait to decide which colours to go for, so threw them all in together and mingled them up. The photo doesn’t do it justice. Click on it to enlarge it - go on, you know you want to.



I’m glad trees are rooted to one spot. If those British trees came over in the autumn, I’d hate to witness their feelings of inadequacy and embarrassment. It would be like meeting your best friends in Milan or Paris, and walking down the most fashionable shopping streets with them in their old cords and Fair Isle sweaters. We could console the trees with talk of differences in climate, and how they do their best against the odds, but I’m sure their branches would hang low and their leaves would droop. I’d hate to see that. Of course they wouldn’t really need worry, because the trees here, being American, would be supremely impressed by the sheer size of their towering British cousins, and their history. All those years laid down in concentric circles, from the time of their sapling youth when masked highwaymen hid in their shadows, and men in tights hurtled between them in pursuit of wild boar (my historical knowledge is poetic rather than factual...). Trees here are neither large nor old. Too many ferocious winds to which they must bow low, and too many ice storms to contend with, when their branches are broken off by the weight of the days-long accumulated ice.

To finish, here is a glorious display of autumnal splendour.



Look at the rich red, the startling yellow, the mellow ochre, the luscious green. Even that little shrub in the front is shimmering in maroon and silver.


Which one? Well, it's a bit small, I admit. You probably can't appreciate it properly.



I'll enlarge it for you - I'm sure it's well worth a closer look.




Those lovely autumn tones...




Hang on...









It’s a fire hydrant. I’m getting carried away here. But don’t think I’ll be moving on to Santa and polar bears yet. Oh no. This post was trees. The next is going to be leaves. Sorry.

17 comments:

  1. Hmmm. I'm missing out. In Chicago it went from nice and warm to BLOODY FREEZING over night, so all our leaves vanished along with the warmth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely gorgeous, although destined to make me homesick. Autumn has always been my favorite too. My consolation is that British spring outdoes anything I've seen in America--somehow the nation's obsession with gardening means that starting as early as my birthday (late Jan.!) I see crocuses as far as the eye can see, and the displays just get better and better as it gets towards Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Autumn is, hands down, my favorite season, especially when it has clear, crisp days and gold and red trees - thanks for sharing. We actually had a respectable autumn here in Sussex; the trees were very colorful, but no where near as good as back in New England. {{sigh}}

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures, and I'm glad to see someone else who hasn't moved into entirely festive mood yet - it's still on mid December, after all! We have still yet to get a Christmas tree and I have only just dug out the Christmas card list....

    I think this autumn was actually quite a good one in the UK. Probably due to the completely dreadful summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. People always look at me like I'm stark raving mad when I say I prefer Autumn/Winter to Spring/Summer.

    I'd much rather be tucked up cosily in front of the fire than laid out baking in the sun. The fact that I am pale and freckly and burn at the slight hint of those evil rays has NOTHING to do with it. Hohoho.

    Those pictures are beautiful Iota - I did as you recommended and clicked to enlarge - talk about colour! You're right that we don't get much of an Autumn tho. I'd love to have your view right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes Autumn was like that here too in Albania. 8 wks of glorious skies & mild weather & autumn colours . Not a patch on your American ones though. Stunning photos. The fire hydrant was pretty sweet (cute for you Americans) too. I really enjoyed the post even though I don't actually need an antidote to the festive season, as it doesn't exist here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the five trees in various shades of red and green - stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very well-written and makes me appreciate even more the fall (as we Americans like to call it of course) in my homeland. I do agree with NFAH though that spring in England is truly amazing. Everytime I sipped a pint outdoors with the sunlight still shining at 10pm, I felt so sorry for the people I left behind in the states.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I miss this every year, Florida doesn't have color changing trees. Thanks for the lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. yes please! more trees! we are definitely into tree worship here these days!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How beautiful! (Winter came swiftly to Neckelchester this year, so there are still piles of autumn leaves all slushy under the snow - hardly had time to appreciate autumn before it was gone!) I love your descriptions of the season as well as your photographs.
    My first fisit to your blog - thank you, I'll be calling again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't wait to read your Christmas post in February!

    ReplyDelete
  13. beautiful. just beautiful. here we're all green and fat and glossy and newly rinsed. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes Autumn can be wonderful ,i spent a Auntumn in Canada once and found it wonderful for all the reasons you say. In Scotland it just seems to go from wet and warm to wet and cold BLAH

    ReplyDelete
  15. So beautiful. I loved this autumn in the UK but a few more weeks of it would have been good.

    ReplyDelete
  16. "because the trees here, being American, would be supremely impressed by the sheer size of their towering British cousins, and their history."

    You are obviously uniformed. We have Redwood and Sequoya trees in California that put European civilization to shame.

    ReplyDelete