Monday, December 15, 2008

Seasonal offerings (though getting a bit unseasonal)

OK, OK, so it’s getting a bit late now for autumnal posts, especially since it’s minus 13 degrees centigrade today, but we’ll just have a quick look at leaves, and then I’ll get into gear for Christmas. I promise.

Look at this lovely carpet of leaves in my back yard, just over a month ago. (It's worth clicking to enlarge).


You can almost hear them whispering “don’t sweep us up, don’t sweep us up” can’t you?

You will probably remember that what impresses me so much about the trees here is their ability to multi-colour (ooh, a new verb is born). Well, the leaves do it too.

These leaves have decided that those of them on one branch will be yellow, those on another will be green. How do they do that? A fine example of peaceful democracy.



Here, they’re all mixed up together.



I wonder if that creates more friction between them, or if they still happily co-exist, green and yellow, at such close quarters. Does the tree engineer the design and control when each leaf may change from green to yellow, or does each leaf have free will?

Look here, though, how within a single leaf, the multi-colour effect is achieved. These do that clever thing that the trees do, holding on to one colour in the middle while letting a new colour creep in at the edges.



This one is a work of art. Deep red veins traced against that subtle orange background, on an even deeper red stem. Perfect.



A couple of final glorious pictures, just because I can’t resist, and it’s going to be at least 9 months till autumn comes round again.






And don’t you just love this song?



To me, it captures the whole essence of the way our lives are marked by change. The seasons are a part of that. The music somehow manages to be both melancholy and cheery at the same time, which is masterly, for change is, surely, both our enemy and our friend, a stealer and a giver.

Thank you for your indulgence. I know blogging this late about autumn is very bad form. There now, I’m ready for Christmas. I’ll catch up with the rest of you.

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful photographs. It's nice to hang onto autumn, especially when there's still so much of winter to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh, Iota you're blogging in technicolour, or maybe you're techni-colouring? either way, I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know why you did it. It's because the leaves are beautiful, colorful and quite possibly warm. Unlike this deep freeze we're in that's spitting nasty white stuff from the heavens, and threatening to not stop until May.

    I miss Fall already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos Iota. Although I must admit it was a struggle for me to get past the -13deg remark. I assume that was Fahrenheit? (Though why that would make it better, I'm not sure...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love that song, and those photos are fabulous along with your ponderings. I really like the multi coloured red veins on orange effect. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete