Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Jingle Bells

If you are from my era, you probably sang this as a child:

Jingle Bells, Batman smells
Robin's flown away
The Batmobile has lost its wheel
And landed in the hay.

Yes? Good. I'd like to know I wasn't the only one. Did you, too, share a frisson of naughty delight when you sang it? Not only were you singing the wrong words, which made it already pretty naughty, but that line "Batman smells" - wasn't that just the rudest thing ever?

Times move on, but it is good to know that childhood pleasures remain if not the same, than at least similar. There are new versions of Jingle Bells being sung around the globe. I thought you'd be interested to hear what eight year olds are singing in this neck of the woods. It goes like this:

Dashing through the snow
In a hybrid SUV
O'er the hills we go
Crashing into trees.
Bells are all destroyed
Making spirits fall,
All my presents have turned into
A flaming fireball.

There aren't any extreme rudenesses like "Batman smells", but even so, there's a healthy level of violence and destruction.

I love that eight year olds are singing about hybrid SUVs. Marvellous.

Postscript:

Oh. I've just spoiled my own post. I ran the lyrics past 8-yo. "Hypered", he said. "Hypered, not hybrid. What's hybrid mean, anyway?".

.

11 comments:

  1. What a great version of Jingle Bells - love it!!

    Gotta get me one of those "hypered" SUV's....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do indeed remember the 'Batman smells' version and am often tempted to sing it - but I love the SUV one, with its particularly topical slant given the state of the American car industry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha. I've just sent birthday wishes to a friend using the other famous lyrics
    - Happy Birthday to you, squashed tomatoes and stew.
    Or there's - HB to you, you were born in a zoo.
    etc.
    Ah memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ours was: "Kojak lost his lollipop on the M1 motorway"

    Great song though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heh heh, Our Jingle Bells was slightly different as our last two lines were 'Cojack Lost his lollipop and bought a milky way.' Nice.

    Did you sing 'While shepherds washed their socks by night' or 'We three kings of Orient are, one in a taxi one in a car' etc as well??

    Sighhhhh, the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Lota, Forgive my boldness but I am doing a bit of blog surfing to invite people over to my blog to sign up for my giveaway I have going on. This isn't some kind of gimmick. It's just my way of celebrating two years of blogging. I am giving away a free caricature drawn by me. I'd be honored if you took the time to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha ha! Good one and good for you for owning up to your politically correct interpretation! I like hybrid suv better myself and I'm sure we could come up with something to rhyme with Prius!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We used to sing the 'batman smells' version but only knew the first three lines, I also remember:
    'While Shepherds washed their socks by night,
    all watching ITV.
    The angel of the lord came down and switched to BBC.'

    You have to be British to get this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love love love the postscript - totally laughed out loud!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That postscript had me in tears!! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just stumbled upon your blog. Love It! But I remember this song as a kid but it went like this
    Jungle Bells, Batman Smells
    Robin Laid An Egg
    The Batmobile lost a wheel
    And the Joker Got Away

    ReplyDelete