Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Perspective

It's all a matter of perspective. That's part of the whole "Not wrong, just different" approach to life. We used to think it was a long journey to see family: 4 hours to the nearest. We now think of that as a short hop. Four hours would hardly get us out of our state in most directions.

Living outside your own zone makes you realise how relative many of your absolutes actually are. What seemed like fact, becomes opinion. I overheard this telephone conversation between 11-yo and his grandmother. She had asked what sports he was playing at school at the moment, and it turns out they have been learning baseball (which I thought was a summer sport, and an outdoor one, but there you go). He said

"It's really hard. The bat is round, so the ball flies off in any direction, and they pitch it at you so fast. And the rules are so complicated. I like playing sports which have simple rules. Like cricket."

Yes, I thought that would amuse you. All a matter of perspective, you see.

7 comments:

  1. So what does it say about me that I have not the first notion about Cricket? Not a clue - (not widely played in Ireland I suppose), but at least I 'get' baseball - just like rounders really lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEh heh. Mr B like cricket. I've been with him almost 16 years and it's a couple of years ago that I realised there were batters at both ends of the pitch/field/thingy. He was not amused. (I was.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, you have the perspective thing down. Six-year-old told me she wants to go back to California where there is "real" sun.

    Have a great New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could be worse - like rounders...

    Happy New Year Iota!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, very funny.

    I thought baseball was a bit like rounders? But I am probably totally wrong about that....

    ReplyDelete
  6. i agree completely with the point, even though i am still struggling with the rules for playground marbles. may there always be people with different perspectives to offer! and here are wishes for a lovely 2009!

    ReplyDelete