Thursday, December 18, 2008

Christmas carols

My two younger kids are singing in church on Sunday, along with all the rest of their Sunday school. They’re doing Away in a Manger, and Silent Night.

Away in a Manger is to a different tune to the one I know. How can that be? Shurely shome mistake. How can you have Away in a Manger, not to the Away in a Manger tune? Actually, I’m rather glad, since the usual tune makes me cry. You know how it is. You go and see your child in some preschool or school event, and you put a tissue in your pocket but you’re absolutely determined not to use it. You’re doing really well, and it’s almost over, and then - oh they’re so clever these teachers – right at the end, a child steps forward and lisps “Now we’re all going to thing Away in a Manger, the firtht time on our own, and then pleathe join uth when we thing it a thecond time”, and the familiar music starts. You’re sitting there, thinking “This is SUCH a cliché. I’m so NOT going to get emotional just because it’s Away in a Manger, and my little darling is dressed as a shepherd/angel/lamb. It’s just Christmas, for heaven’s sake, and I’m NOT going to succumb to the cheesiest old favourite in the book. Absolutely NOT.” It rather depends how slowly they sing it, and how many verses they have learned, as to whether you can keep these stern thoughts going for long enough, or whether the tissue has to emerge from the pocket.

What is it with Away in a Manger? I’m wondering if mothers put it on quickly when their baby daughters start to cry, so that the association becomes ingrained Pavlov-style at an infant age, and then somehow lies dormant till motherhood. I didn’t know about this, so I didn’t do it for my daughter. She’ll have an easier time at her children’s nativity plays.

Silent Night. That’s a nice one (apart from the rather screechy way you have to slide up the scale on “pee-eeace” in the last line). I was getting 8-yo to sing it to me, to make sure he knew the words, and half way through, he stopped and said “What is an infantso?” You know that bit: Holy infantso, tender and mild. I told him it was a kind of reindeer (I didn’t really).

It reminded me of one of my own childhood Christmas carol puzzles. There was this really confusing bit in “While shepherds watched” which said Thus spake the sheriff, and forthwith appeared a shining throng. I knew it couldn’t be a wild west type of sheriff, in Bethlehem. In any case, men can’t be angels. Girls are angels, as eny ful no. I remember being confused, but I can't remember how I resolved the issue. I probably concluded the sheriff was the angel with the bright golden star.

Ah, innocent times. These days, kids are probably more confused by why forthwith a shining thong would appear.

Do you have any childhood festive misunderstandings you’d like to share?

.

16 comments:

  1. I sang Ding Dong Jellyapplepie instead of Merrily on High for years, mainly because my parents were so amused, they didn't correct me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Away in a Manger makes me cry, too - no matter what the tune is. It takes a bit of getting used to the US version though.

    Your story makes me think of my Aunt who told me she asked her Mum 'what is "whart"? As in 'Our Father, Whart in Heaven....'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a festive one but I used to think that a Rolling Stones song went "I'll never be your pizza burning." Apparently, it's "I'll never be your beast of burden." Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought "Edelwiess" from Sound of Music was, in fact, "April Flies". As in insects madly breeding in the early spring. Eeeeeuw!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am already laughing out loud at these. More, more...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went to a Nativity play many years ago during which the innkeeper, when asked by Joseph if there was any room at the inn, replied: "Yes" !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't recall any misunderstood words, but I can still remember all the 'naughty' versions of various carols....'eg. while shepherds watched their socks at night all seated round TV, the angel of the Lord came down and changed to BBC'. And 'we three kings of orient are, one in a taxi one in a car, one in a scooter, beeping his hooter, following yonder star'.
    and so on!

    All seems terribly innocent now, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes, all those wonderful words. Amongst my earliest memories is one of standing on a stage with the rest of my infant class, each cradling a baby, and singing the "Little Jesus, sweetly sleep" carol.

    I've been wondering recently whether my boys know the words to any carols at all. They both play brass instruments and at this time of year the brass bands do a constant round of concerts, carol services and village Christmas-Lights-turning-ons. So they're always playing carols but never singing them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That should of course read "baby doll"...

    ReplyDelete
  10. No interesting mispronounciations, but I did many to stun a very chatty 5 year old girl into silence this afternoon when she started to sing 'Hark the Herald Angels sing' and stopped at the second line because she didn't know the words. I finished the verse for her.
    You should have seen her face. "How did you know THAT?" she asked. I'm not sure if her expression said 'admiration' or 'you freak'. I suspect the latter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Parisgirl's reminds me of the one I heard from a friend (who swears it happened), but I'm absolutely convinced it's apocryphal, whereby the innkeeper, who had wanted to play Joseph but got the mere innkeeper part instead, when asked if there was room at the inn, said to Joseph; "for her yes, but not for you"
    Nah na na-na nah!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahhh Iota you make me laugh. Miss M sang Away in a Manger in her first ever play this year and I have to admit to a little tear.

    And an infantso is a kind of deer isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. not a festive one ... but our father who art in heaven, hallowed by thy name? harold. Definately harold be thy name. have a lovely christmas. and enjoy the carols today x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've always liked the song about 'Gladly the cross-eyed bear'

    ReplyDelete
  15. Here's my offering:
    http://redwhiteandbleu.blogspot.com/2008/12/christmas-crackers.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG! I thought I was the only person who cried at Away in a Manager as a child! I only remembered when I went to see my daughters nativity and bawled when her class sang it :). What is it about the song that does it??

    ReplyDelete