Tuesday, September 2, 2008

What to Say, What Not to Say

People often say to me “Iota, you know a thing or two about moving abroad. I have a question you might be able to help me with.” Actually they don’t. No-one has ever said that to me. Ever. I wish they would. It would add some kind of meaning and value to the experience, and make me feel affirmed and reconstructed. What they do say is “I love your accent”. That doesn’t add meaning and make me feel reconstructed. It makes me feel like I’ve got an English accent.

Let me start again. I wish people would say to me “Iota, you know a thing or two about moving abroad. A friend of mine tells me her husband has just got a job in some far-flung place in America which no-one has ever heard of, and they’re leaving in a few months time. What should I say to her?” I would reply “I’m glad you asked me that. Yes, you’re right. I do indeed know a thing or two about what someone in that situation would like to hear. In fact, right here I have a copy of a list I prepared on just this very topic, since people are always asking me this type of question.” I would click my fingers, and my assistant would bring it through from the outer office. Either that, or I’d fidget about on my computer, puzzle over why the darn thing wasn’t working, remember to turn the printer on, sweep aside the Barbie colouring pictures that I’d printed out earlier that morning from the internet, and print it out myself, since actually I was lying about the assistant and the outer office.

Things Not to Say
• Don’t immediately say “how long are you going for?” If you want to know, slip that one in further along in the conversation. Just don’t make it your first question. Doesn’t focus on the positives enough.
• Don’t sing. If she’s going to Oklahoma, don’t burst into song about the wind coming sweepin’ down the plain. If she’s going to Texas, don’t start up about the way to Amarillo. If she’s going to San Francisco, don’t warble about flowers in her hair. You will not be the first. I guarantee you will not be the first. She will not find it funny (though may be polite enough to smile instead of decking you).
• Don’t express an opinion about the children’s education. In particular, don’t help her to calculate how many years it is before she needs to be back for the start of GCSE curricula. She will already have done this. She does not need your help. Don’t ask “what are the schools like?”. America is a big place. She will be hoping there might be one or two good schools out there.
• Don’t talk about the children’s accents. Not unless you want to damn yourself as unoriginal in the extreme.
• Don’t use the words ‘cope’ and ‘children’ in the same sentence. Team up the word ‘children’ with words such as ‘flourish’, ‘enrich’ and ‘widen horizons’.
• Don’t point out she’ll be Mom instead of Mum. It’s a conversation stopper.
• Don’t ask about hurricanes, tornadoes or other natural disasters. Best not.

Things to Say

• Wow, that’s exciting. What an opportunity!
• Good for you. Is there anything I can do to help?
• You probably won’t ever want to come back (and try not to look as if you both know this is a fib - it’s a useful one at this point in the proceedings).
• Americans are very friendly and welcoming.
• They’ll love you over there. They love the English. (If you really really have to talk about accents, you can do it at this point.)
• I’ve noticed, when you read the little biographical notes in book jackets about people who have had really interesting lives and done really interesting things, it often says that they grew up in more than one place. I’ve noticed that loads of times. It must add something to a childhood.

I was lying about the assistant and the outer office, but believe me when I tell you this last one is worth tucking into your memory for future use. I think it is the best thing that anyone said to me about our move. You’ll have to remember it, though, because I won’t necessarily be around when you want to ask me. Even if I am, you’ll have to get past the assistant, and she’ll just tell you to join the end of the long line snaking its way out of the outer office and down the corridor.

13 comments:

  1. Very handy Iota. I may be needing both those lists sooner than I would like...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very funny. That's how my book started out - "My neighbour is moving to England for a few years, do you have any hints?"
    I'm working on the reverse book now so I may be calling on you for your insight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I first came across your blog after my first holiday to America and didn't want to come home. (I'm from Northern Ireland.) I was in Florida but rather than being amazed by all the usual tourist attractions, what I was most intrigued about was day to day living in America! I'm a geek, I know. I searched for blogs like your own, ordinary people who made such a huge and exciting change in their lives and go to live with the unknown. I love reading your blog and find your comparisons between life in the UK and America really amusing. Just thought you'd like to know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angela, thank you! I'll make sure my assistant knows to show you straight through to the inner office.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are good Iota, really good. When my mate Ju told me they were moving to NZ I just kept saying, "Blimey, it will be amazing." I was positive, but used the word amazing far too much. Now I have other much more positive things to say should anymore of our mates up and leave. Thanks. And the last one is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where were you and your lists when we dopped the Moving Abroad bombshell when we left the UK???
    They all should have read every word. Twice. At least. In fact, do you think I'll offend if I forward them your blog??

    ReplyDelete
  7. I couldn't agree more. Well, everything except the English part.

    My favourite thing for an American to say to me is, "I have no idea what you just said (for the past 5 minutes), but I love your accent and could listen to you talk all day."

    ReplyDelete
  8. From the other side of the coin, my father worked for a British company for years starting when I was 11. The summer before I turned 13, he was offered a promotion that would've meant we'd have to move to the UK for at least three years. I was wholeheartedly for the move, but my parents ultimately decided against it. (My younger sisters, then 10 and 6, didn't really want to go, for a start.)

    To this day, I regret the missed opportunity of living somewhere else in my childhood. I mean, I lived in two states - NJ and NY woo-hoo - but to have lived abroad would have been amazing. (Um, sorry to use that word, jo beaufoix!)

    I did eventually live in Italy for just a few months as an exchange student, but it wasn't nearly long enough. Still trying to convince my hubby we need to move there when we're old(er) and gray(er).

    Cheers and thanks for stopping by my corner of the internet today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fab list - we're moving to the US next year and I think most people have said all of the former, particularly the stuff about accents. As someone who grew up as an expat child herself I thoroughly agree with the latter - growing up abroad definitely gives you something, and takes nothing away.....

    Also - only discovered your blog recently, but I've nominated you for an award over at my place.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh very very good but don't you think that British people are incapable of NOT looking on the down side? It wouldn't cross their minds to think there even was an upside - to anything!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Iota

    Sharp and funny as ever
    Xhat if the place they're moving to DOESN'T have a song, should you just aim for one referring to the next door state ?

    I'v always relied on the trusty "Oh no you're going, we'll MISS you so....stay in touch"
    C in P

    ReplyDelete