Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Recycling

Pig in the Kitchen has burst my baggie bubble, by asking if I feel guilty about where these little plastic darlings end up, in all their non-biodegradability shame. She has a point. I have been meaning to write about recycling for ages, so I thought this would be a good moment.

When we first moved here, I was rather horrified at the lack of environmental concern. It has become such a way of life in Britain. Here, recycling is a minority interest. If pressed, most people would agree that it is a Good Thing (difficult to argue the opposite), but few people actually do anything about it. It’s not that easy to do anything about it. You would have to look very hard to find a recycling bin in a car park; in fact, I’m not sure I can think of any at all. At first we paid a supplement to our trash collection service, and once a fortnight they would collect our recycling. We gave that up for three reasons. First, I don’t like paying for recycling if I don’t have to. Second, we had to put it out sorted into four supermarket carrier bags (newspapers, glossy magazines, cans, glass) in an open box, and on more than one occasion I found the wind had taken the lightweight plastic box halfway down the street. I imagined the newspapers and magazines had gone the same way. It’s very windy round here, and open trash boxes are not the way forward. Third, having witnessed the collection of the sorted items, dumped together into the back of a lorry inside their plastic bags, I did doubt that it ended up anywhere other than a landfill site. Maybe I just saw them on a bad day, but I didn’t feel I wanted to continue paying for the service.

We now collect all our recycling in our garage, and once every now and again, load it into the minivan and take it to a recycling center. It’s an intriguing experience. The place is staffed by volunteers, whose average age must be in the 70s. How shaming that the lead is being taken by the older generation who have little personal stake in all this. One old lady sorts and assists, going from bin to bin slowly and painfully with her zimmer frame. You have to dump your recycling items into the appropriate bin, so it is quite a task, sorting out the different plastics and papers. They recycle everything in great detail – even the lids of milk containers. There is often a line of cars if you go on a Saturday, so a round trip can easily take an hour. Our kids quite enjoy sorting and dumping, so we sell it to them as a fun trip, but I suppose you have to be fairly committed to recycling to be bothered.

On the depressing side, this recycling center, though very admirable, is small. There is space for no more than a dozen cars to park and unload at one time. The bins are not much larger than the kind of bin you see in every supermarket car park in the UK. It serves a city of over 300,000. Does that tell you how much recycling activity there is here? On the optimistic side, I do believe that there is more awareness and activity now than when we arrived, less than 2 years ago. The school has set up a working group, the preschool collects plastic bags to recycle, Dillons has a bin at the entrance for Dillons bags. It’s not high on most people’s agenda, but the beginnings are there.

So Pig, to answer your question. No, I didn’t feel guilty about baggies, but I do (a bit) now. In my defence, I don’t use THAT many (how much Playmobil do you think I have?), and in the kitchen, is it any better to use cling film? You have made me stop and think, though, you and the commenters who wash and reuse their baggies. I have never been a washer and reuser of baggies, but henceforth I undertake to be so. There you are, lovely Bloggy Friends. You are slowly changing the world through your blogging. As for you, Pig, don’t tell me you weren’t very grateful for plastic bags on this occasion (make sure you read the 'Addendum'). And none of us would blame you at all for not recycling those ones...

.

7 comments:

  1. I'm so sure a granny in the states would use a 'walker' and not a 'zimmer frame'!

    I don't know when you moved stateside; there was much more recycling a few years ago but it turned out that a (controversial) economic analysis in the mid-1990s revealed that in some places in the US much more energy was being spent recycling most things (I believe Al cans was the exception) than was coming back. Probably at least in part the large distances the recyclables had to travel to reach a plant in the US versus the tiny-by-comparison UK. So now many municipalities have dramatically scaled back the curbside recycling efforts or cut them altogether, although I'd say it continues to be a subject of much political discourse in local elections!

    ReplyDelete
  2. re clingfilm inthe kitchn; in New Zealand you can buy these ingenious litle shower cap things which you pop over your bowl of left overs before putting in the fridge. And yes you wash them and re-use. of course you could 'make do' in true British fashion and find some REAL shower caps, or nick them from hotels, and ask your friends to do the same. But actually they're just too big and baggy totake the job on properly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Al Gore's movie had a stirring effect on American's to make more of an effort to recycle. At work we recently set up recycling bins and it's been great to see the participation. I do wish it were more of a political priority in America. I think more people would recycle if the facilities were made available.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sounds as if you are doing your bit despite the lack of encouragement! It's hard enough here - our local council will let us recycle certain things, like bottles, jars and tins, but not others, like any plastic packaging. And although M&S recent introduced charging 5p for plastic bags, I noticed at lunchtime today that the local branch was just automatically putting stuff in bags anyway, and not giving people the option.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have really gotten into recycling this year having put my bin on the rubbish diet. We now compost and try to buy more carefully using bags only when necessary and buying loose items in the flimsy store bags when we have to as they biodegrade more quickly. My mate Karen aka Almost Mrs Average runs this site where there are tons of useful tips.

    http://therubbishdiet.blogspot.com/2008/09/sorting-out-home-front.html

    And I haven't forgotten about your question about my blog. I'm planning a post on it as quite a few people have asked. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Wife in the West! Greetings from Hong Kong and your new blog-friend. I think I'm slowly getting my head round this blog-malarkey! So many thanks for your advice btw.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here in Chicago, our recycling program has completely gone by the wayside and I couldn't even tell you where the nearest collection point is. Shocking. For my part I use empty cereal wax bags to wrap up my kids' lunch sandwiches. We go through a lot of cereal, and I just empty the crumbs from the bags inside the box, and use them in their lunch boxes. They are much sturdier than baggies and I feel a bit better too.

    ReplyDelete