Monday, September 15, 2008

Bags

Bags. Seems an obvious one to follow ‘Tea’. But here I’m talking about Ziploc bags. One of the three defining features of American domestic life: motherhood, apple pie and Ziploc bags.

When we lived in Scotland, I had been intrigued by the frequency with which Ziploc bags came into play when in the company of the American women I knew. I suppose, looking back, it was because when I saw them, it was often at group social gatherings which involved food. And where there is food, there must be Ziploc bags.

If you have them on your shopping list, you must add a good few minutes to your anticipated shopping time. The choice is bewildering. There is the basic kind, with the strip at the top that you pinch closed. Then there is the advanced kind, with a slider that you whizz across. If you want to go really up-market, you can get ones with a double strip, ones that are super-thick, ones that have a white space on them to write on, ones that are specially designed for the freezer, ones that do your ironing and read your children stories. Each type comes in a range of sizes (would you have a clue how big a bag holds a gallon? or a quart? I didn’t), and then each type and size comes in a choice of brands: Ziploc, Glad and the supermarket own brand. I like the idea of buying Glad bags. I could put my glad rags in my Glad bags. So what with choice of type, choice of size and choice of brand, I’m just grateful I learned how to do Venn diagrams at school, otherwise I wouldn’t have any chance of making a decision.

The other thing I’ve learned about Ziploc bags is that they are invaluable for things way beyond the realm of food. Playmobil bits (aaargh!), Barbie’s endless little plastic accessories and the minute scraps of material that she calls fashion-wear, half-used wax crayons that have lost their box, small pieces of games where the manufacturer didn't bother to think about how you would keep the darn thing together once you'd taken off the shrink-wrap (I offer you the monkeys in Monkey Business, or the balls in Hungry Hippos as examples), a pine cone collection, a special stones collection, 5 toothbrushes on an aeroplane, foreign coins, glow-in-the-dark stars that don't stick well on the wall but can't possibly be thrown away, errant playdough… what did I used to do with these things?

I was standing in a friend’s kitchen in England over the summer, and as she got out the cling film, I started talking to her about my conversion to Ziploc bags and how I now use them for everything. “Well,” she said, “I’m pleased to hear about it. It would be a shame if you invested years of your life settling in a foreign country, and found there was no cultural interchange at all.” Ah, those widened horizons.

Oh, and they call them ‘baggies’. I love that.

.

22 comments:

  1. Sadly I'm already a convert. But that's probably because, as a resident of central London, I don't really live in England (though given recent news, I suspect a large proportion of the xpats around here might be experiencing a sudden yen for home...).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh - I have to look more carefully! I haven't seen the ones that do my ironing and read my children stories! Good thing really - it's hard enough to decide which ones I want!

    We do have lots that are full of things like Playmobile parts, Boxtops for Education, but for certain things I have moved on to Gladware storage containers. (You know, the throwaway tupperware stuff - but we don't throw it away. We use it, and use it until it cracks. Much easier to clean than washing and drying a 'baggy', and easier to stack on shelves!

    I do have an industrial sized roll of clingfilm in the kitchen too - much to DH's consternation as we hardly ever use it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hee hee, my friend Holl who comes from Wyoming but lives in Cardiff loved her some ziplocs, hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Say "baggies" over here and your yummy mummy Boden brigade will also chorus about how they can't live without them - lovely soft checked (should that be plaid? Rather symmetrically rhyming with "glad"...) pull on warm cosy trousers for boys and girls (and even yummy mummies and daddies.) For post-bath on cold wet walk/football days, TV feeling-poorly days, romping in the garden, "ought to get dressed but don't feel like it" days, and general feel-good/look a slob-wear. Gladwear indeed. And you don't need to iron them.

    Love
    Josephine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every single friend and family member who came to visit us during the 2 years that we lived in London brought Ziplocs. They brought us so many Ziplocs that I actually shipped Ziplocs *back* to the US when we repatriated. And I am not the least bit apologetic about that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And if you don't trust your co-workers, maybe these anti-theft lunch bags will do the trick.

    I don't think they're actually for sale though - you have to make your own.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Almost American - what an ingenious invention! I'm not sure I'd find my own lunch very appetising if it looked like that even though I knew the trick behind it).

    ReplyDelete
  8. And now, since the London 2006 transatlantic aircraft plot, TSA requires us to carry all cosmetic liquids in a 3 oz size in a quart sized zip lock baggie!

    On another note, my mom washes out the baggies and saves them for reuse. I was just reminded of this in my recent home visit as I searched for a baggie to house some of my travel supplies. She had every size imaginable, including the 1/2 size sandwich baggie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank goodness Tesco is now providing us with the opportunity to purchase overpriced flimsy re-sealable zipper bags, in two sizes no less! I still yearn for Ziploc or Glad though and so I get whomever is coming over to bring them in by the suitcase full.

    ps hey there I'm a new reader :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ziplocks/baggies are wonderful for traveling. There are 2.5 gal. size sliders perfect for clothing including shoes. Everything stays clean, neat and in place. The bags can be placed in cabinets and on shelves. When ready to move on, zip up the bags and put in suitcase. Smaller bags are useful for toiletries, meds, whatever. I find large, white trash bags very handy for dirty laundry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Baggies"! Ahhhh...I still use that term over here. Although the zip part of a UK ziplock bag is puny in comparison to the American counterparts. Every time I travel to North America I restock like crazy. Luckily for me, I can even get what my British husband calls "REAL ziplocks" in Singapore, too, and I'm usually there a couple of times per year to teach.

    I'll be back to read more. Great blog! I'm adding you to my links.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds absolutely wonderful. I know just what you mean about bits and pieces of toy being discarded. I have plastic boxes which used to hold icecream.

    CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yup, mine are definitely for toy bits and bobs too. I love them, but am also partial to a bit of tupperware for that too. Doesn't have to be the lockable sort. What are they called Cliplock or soemthing? Funny isn't it the things we get used to from our own cultures and can't do without?
    My mum also washed & reused her plastic bags (tho in those days no zips or loc(k)s. I do too. Though i swore I never wd. Force of habit. Of course it's de rigueur & environmentally friendly to do so now. then it was just thrift.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My American sister in law swears by them. That and JC Penney canvas bags. Oh, and Whole Foods. All of which I approve...

    ReplyDelete
  15. The word "baggies" still makes me gigle, as does "panties" and "blankie". Never mind. I'm sure I'll get over it some day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Expat Mum - I'll wear "panties" for the rest of my life, no matter where I'm living. "Knickers" sound HORRID!

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  17. But do you never feel guilty about them taking a million years to biodegrade? And in fact they probably don't, they just lodge in the gullets of poor unsuspecting furry animals. They are like my filthy secret habit, i try to hold off buying them, then i give in a frenzied rush and stock up on a few boxes. I've even washed them out to use again, so great is my guilt. Hope i haven't burst your baggie bubble there? Guilt shared is guilt halved, no?
    ;-)
    Pigx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I tried asking for clingfilm once in my local grocery store. They had it down as Saran wrap... That wasted 40 minutes of my life.
    Am a convert of the Ziploc and glad bags since moving to USA. I was so always very ecologically minded in the Uk, but it seems that the convenience of thises little (and large) space savers has taken hold. Though, like samuria beetle's mum, I wash and re-use as many as I can.
    my favourtie size are the really huge ones that I use to store the childrens old clothes in. With a sharpie marker I can now keep all the same size clothes togehter instead of just throwing all sizes in one big muddled box.

    ReplyDelete
  19. When I moved from the US to the UK I bought a bunch of massive Ziplocs, like big enough to hold pillows and comforters (NOT a duvet...). These things are useful in all sizes and I don't understand why they don't have them here in such quantities or varieties. I really miss the slider ones, I nab some of them whenever I am back home in Minneapolis, from Target of course!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Perfect that I discovered your blog when you posted about baggies. I miss ziplocs so much too. And if Central London isn't really England, I want to know why they don't sell them here!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi there,

    Sorry to be a bit off topic here, but I am the author of a book called 'A Place in My Country: In Search of a Rural Dream.'

    A blogger (Katyboo1’s Weblog) recently posted a review of my book on Amazon.co.uk and on her own blog.

    http://katyboo1.wordpress.com/2008/09/16/a-place-in-my-country/


    I hope you don't mind but I thought it might therefore appeal to you too, as she has you on her blogroll.

    Here's the Amazon reference but it is published by Phoenix in paperback and was published by Weidenfeld & Nicholson last year.

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Place-My-Country-Search-Rural/dp/0753823888/ref=pd_sbs_b_title_14


    Anyway, there it is. Again, hope you don't object to this shameless self-promotion.

    Kind regards,
    Ian
    www.ianwalthew.com
    www.farmblogs.blogspot.com

    P.S I hope that the book is about to be distributed in the U.S.A but when I don't know. Modern publishing.....

    ReplyDelete
  22. I use them (Tesco variety) for collecting seaweeds... and nappy liners (clean unused ones) for pressing seaweeds... and 35mm film canisters for chalk for the video clapper board.

    Ziploc bags must surely merit a letter to the Guardian?

    ReplyDelete