Friday, September 12, 2008

Tea

Good news, People!

Wal-Mart sells PG tips. Not cheap, I grant you: $6.77 for 80, but a significant step in the progress of the teaification of the area.

When we first came here, you could get PG tips and other brands of tea at a marvellous store called World Market, but I never saw them anywhere else. Then, our local Dillons created a small section of foods from overseas countries, and the British aisle contains PG tips, Tetleys, and a choice of ordinary or decaf. (There are probably people here who assume I'm talking about Dillons when I talk about the British Aisles. They should know better, though. There's only one aisle, and I would never wantonly misuse a plural like that.) And now Wal-Mart has PG Tips in the regular, everyday, common or garden tea and coffee section. They'll be delivering them with the mail next.

I wonder if I could plot a map, something like those moving radar maps they have on the weather forecast. We would probably still be in an area of light brown low density tea availability, but the dark brown area of high tea availability could be shown moving slowly in from the east. I could explain that this followed the high pressure consumer interest which has been mounting slowly. I would put symbols on the map to clarify: little cups on saucers, with drips falling into them - a bit like inverted clouds.

In this election season, I like to see the teaification of the area as a sign of hope for America.

10 comments:

  1. You've got my vote and have MADE MY DAY! I was aklways getting frustrated that Wal Mart stocked a good variety of world produce, but not PG. (Now they just need to add Sald Cream to their imports)
    Our localWorld Market closed, which sent me into Toffee Crisp withdrawal (not a pretty sight).I have been buying PG from the British aisle in Meijer, at the hugely inflated prices you mention. (It's also cheaper to buy good champagne than Ribena here isn't it?) However, I can recommend the Englsih Breakfast tea they sell at Trader Joe's. As good as our beloved PG, but only $2 a box!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes but the Branston pickle has disappeared from everywhere. My mother warned me about this and sent me a newspaper cutting last year about the factory burning down. I should have stockpiled it then. I am in serious withdrawal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As an opposite expat to yourself, I was pleased to find one of my favourite cooking sauces from the States at one of the Whole Foods stores in London.

    Nice to get a few tastes of home here and there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All British ex-pats should be gifted a lifetimes supply of decent tea - it'd get my vote, anyway. Whenever I run out of good tea, I have taken to drinking green tea instead - it's far better than any of the disgusting French 'blends.'

    Mya x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen it at Alberton's. My local supermarket sells trifle fingers AND HP sauce. How cool is that?

    amazon.com sells ambrosia custard and branston pickle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and WalMart used to sell After Eights, but stopped. I was gutted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love world market. and i love their food section best of all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of the main reasons I go to World Market - for my PG Tips!

    Even though I'm originally from Harrogate and I can get 'Taylors of Harrogate' or even Yorkshire Tea in some of these poncey boutique Santa Barbara stores it just doesn't taste right without the Yorkshire Water to go with it, so I stick with my PG Tips.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah but do they have Earl Grey anywhere? I'm not sure I can live without my daily doses of Twinings when we move to the States.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a Tetley girl myself Iota, but I'm so glad you have a choice. Hooray. Now go and have a good cuppa my lovely.

    ReplyDelete