Sunday, September 28, 2008

Recycling: Part II

When you move abroad, you find out new things about yourself. Lots of it is good, to do with the way you rose to the challenge, aspects that you enjoyed more than you anticipated, inner strengths you didn’t know you had. Feel good in retrospect stuff. But you also find out things about yourself that aren’t so nice. These are the dirty little secrets that don’t make it onto the expat websites. For example, you may be rather relieved if you’re honest, to find out from other people’s experience that your kids will lose their American accents when you return home, in spite of your assertion that preferring one accent over another is a form of racism. Or how about the fact that you never thought of yourself as materialistic, but it’s pretty nice, when it comes down to it, to live in a house double the size of the one you left in Britain.

Here is another one. I am not as green as I’d like to think I am. In Britain, I recycled carefully, I didn’t waste things, especially food, we used buses, only owned one car, a diesel, I minded about the future of the planet. Or so I thought. Here, we have two cars (which in our defence, is a necessity, given the almost non-existent bus service). I can salve my conscience by looking at the guzzling SUVs, and think “well, at least my minivan does around 20 to the gallon to your 15”. I try not to waste things, but it is harder, and I do less well. I do recycle, but it took us a while to get round to it, and I’m more lax about it. I have genuine questions as to the value of recycling – in a country where space is so vast, I do wonder if landfill is not a bad option, set against the energy required to recycle (and the comments on my previous post have done nothing to reassure me). It’s not these questions that make me lax though. It’s the conscience-salving that says I might not be doing it perfectly, but at least I’m doing it more than most people.

I can make all kinds of excuses, and have all kinds of logical reservations, but at the bottom level I know this to be true: I cared more for the environment when I loved it more. I know we’re talking global warming and consequences that will affect us all, worldwide. I know that being green is about safeguarding the planet and not about pretty green English lanes and how early in the year daffodils flower these days, and what is causing the decline in the number of sparrows, but there we are, I’m just airing my dirty washing in public and being honest. I may be a citizen of the world, but I am hugely influenced by my local situation.

There’s another element, of course. It’s not all to do with the English countryside. I tried to be green in the UK because everyone else is trying to be green. Sometimes it’s by reason of moral choice and sometimes it’s with financial or other incentive, but it is fairly unavoidable. Being a good citizen is increasingly bound up with being a green citizen.

I don’t share Margaret Thatcher’s view that there’s no such thing as society. There clearly is. We are hugely influenced by those among whom we live. This can be for evil – history shows that the majority of us can turn into the people who spy on our neighbors and colleagues, report them to authorities, turn on them, or turn a blind eye. I think it is often ignored, though, that society is a force for good too. We are all better people for rubbing along beside others who, in all kinds of ways, bring out the best in us. It is easier to behave well if the prevailing wind is carrying you along.

7 comments:

  1. In England I too was an enthusiastic recycler despite the derision, "170 more fossil-fuelled power stations opened this week in China and you're separating tins from glass" sort of thing. Well, here I am in China. It is polluted but there definitely are positive moves to improve the enviroment. I think we all have to do our bit. Keep the pressure on and tell Al Gore to reduce his own electricity consumption!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for being honest Iota. We do recycle - but only because our local council makes it so easy. Not sure I would bother otherwise...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My own recent achievement has been to cut out the need for plastic bags at the supermarket. Those big canvas beach bags that are given away with magazines each summer make perfect food shopping bags. It took a bit of getting used to, but the car boot now contains a good supply of large bags, and it's now totally routine for me. I'm mentioning it because I told one friend and she admitted she had a cupboard full of those free bags and had never thought to use them.
    Fran x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post Iota. You're right, it's easy to do stuff if everyone's doing it because you can share information and support each other. And I suppose in our crowded little county everything is noticeable and the nice bits really need preserving because we cherish them. Sounds to me like you're doing pretty well over there too though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you probably speak for all of us, Iota. We only started recycling properly when the council started providing bags. And because you can't read an article in the UK press without it making you feel guilty for not being green enough.

    (by the way, it's valley girl here - changed my name as it was causing confusion in some quarters and didn't tie in with my blog properly!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup in the UK, we recycled, composted, used washable nappies, got a no airmile sveg box etc. But it was pretty easy to do. Here it's nigh on impossible, being a developing country, where people don't even know smoking is bad for you, people chuck their rubbish out of the window as they're driving along, or pile it up along, or in, the rivers, and in particular look at me as if I'm slightly unhinged when I unpack my shopping as fast as they pack 3 items in each separate bag.
    Seeing as it seems to be confession time, we've also bought an SUV, after 9mths with no car. I still can't quite believe we have (hangung my head here), but it was going cheap, so we cd afford it, we knew the owner, it wasn't stolen, & a lot of roads here are untarmaced and full of potholes, and the driving is so dangerous, I'm sorry, to sound callous, but I want to come off better in a crash. We had several near misses yesterday coming home from Monte Negro as various nutters piled towards us, or down the middle havign overtaken way too late. We swerved right off the rd twice to avoid them. Oh and it's not diesel. In fact I will have to whispe rthis, it even takes LEADED petrol. Oh dear. Sorry, sorry. It's tru elivign abroad shifts your priorities. Actually we do still sort our rubiish but that's becaus eteh Roma go through the bins looking for stuff to sell, so we sort; containers, glass, aluminium, and anything useful, and put it in a separate bag to help them with their sifting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH Iota! I was on board with this post and then you had to go and bring up Thatcher! lol ;)

    I really got into the swing of the recycling thing when I was at home in Ireland over the summer - but they do it because the council requires that it is done. Where we are now - recycling is not compulsory - we still have two trash pick ups per week (vs my parent's bi- weekly pick ups!) and once a week curbside recycling pick up. We do a little, but could do more - and it's totally a psychological thing for me - since my husband maintains that at those landfills - they have equipment to sort out recyclables from generic trash (his company sells the machines).

    ReplyDelete