Thursday, August 28, 2008

Sidewalk chalks

Sidewahk chahks. One of the staples of American childhood, and I don’t think we have them at all in Britain. Perhaps we do, and I just never came across them. I wish I had done – they’re a very useful arrow in the mother’s quiver of outdoor toys for small children. Happy hours are spent doodling on the steps, the path or the patio, and then when the rain comes, it’s all washed clean and you can start all over again.

If you have a front drive, or a front porch, a front path, or even just a front doorstep, you can display your work for passers-by. Most will miss it, of course, cocooned in their cars from such neighbourhood detail, but the occasional walker, in trainers, sports gear and headphones, will glance over, and I like to think we make the mailman’s job more interesting.

Earlier in the year, 7-yo wrote a lovely message of welcome for visitors. “The Manhattans live here - this is our house - hello” it read, in a spidering melee of capitals and lower case, some letters twice the size of others, and no one the same colour as its neighbour. If you’d passed by that day, before the rain came, I’m sure you’d have enjoyed the message, and perhaps you would have wondered about the blur of colour underneath. That was where the open-hearted child had written “Our garage code is ####”, to be extra welcoming, and the more security-conscious mother had scuffed it out, sad to have to explain a little more of the world to him as she did so.

Three weeks ago, on the day of our return from Britain, some friends came by and covered our drive and porch in “Welcome Home” messages: a huge red heart and big flowers, and personalized exclamations. “Hi, 11-yo, can’t wait to see you!” “We missed you, 7-yo!” It was wonderful, and made me promise myself that I would do the same for others in the future. Perhaps I could bring the custom back to repressed Britain, where such a gesture would be embarrassing. Heavens, other people would see it! And children’s names, their own NAMES, outside for all to read! Embarrassing, but enjoyed too, I think. I will take the risk one day (but maybe not use the children’s names).

Now, if you walk by our house, you will see a four-letter word carefully inscribed three times in different colours. Hurry though, before the rain comes. “OLAY OLAY OLAY”. Intrigued, I asked 4-yo why she had fetched the bottle of body moisturiser from the bathroom, and taken it outside to copy. “I wanted everyone to know that I can do that letter now”, she replied, pointing to the Y, somewhat larger than the other letters and a little more wobbly, but absolutely recognisable. She learns so fast these days, in that engaging 4 year old way, and often teaching herself. I wouldn’t even have known that she can do all the other three letters. I wonder why she picked the letter Y as the next one to master. I wonder why that word on that bottle caught her interest. I wonder if she feels, as I do still, that letters have their own personalities. I wonder which ones she will like best. I have always liked Y.

Anyway, I felt her achievement and her desire for recognition deserved a wider audience than our - no doubt rather puzzled - mailman.

15 comments:

  1. Aww!

    Great neighbourhood - and well done to 4yr old. It's amazing the sense of pride they have when they achieve something new isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that your daughter noticed the y on the OLAY bottle...

    and what a cute idea to welcome loved ones home...

    I had to remind my kids NOT to use the chalk on the house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely! - the intriguing and wonderful mind of a four year old. Having read this i am going to get betty's chalks and go and write a big message on our driveway...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Y is a tricky letter - she was right to be proud of having mastered it!

    When DH came home from a 2 week trip away this summer he was greeted with the chalk message "welcome home daddy" in 2 foot high letters on the driveway. The kids had also drawn a line with the word 'stop' to make him stop before he drove over it. Fortunately he did, and whipped his camera out and took a photo of it before driving over it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there, just found you through elsie B and wanted to say that sidewalk chalk is a BIG winner in our house. They sell it in Habitat (£3 for a big tub) and it keeps them amused for ages in the summer! Haven't had any embarassing messages left yet, but it's only a matter of time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! And I love the thought of the pride of your 4 yr old at the new found ability to copy a Y. A very good letter to choose I feel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats to the 4 yr old. Am still struggling with getting the 3 3/4 yr old to be the slightest bit interested in writing the first letter of his own name. Am going to get our sidewalk chalk out right now and see if it inspires him!
    love your blogs btw

    ReplyDelete
  8. We didn't have sidewalk chalk because it bloody rained all the time!
    My little one received a bottle of bright yellow sidewalk paint as a party favour last month. He loves it. I'm sure it's nothing more than regular paint, and it does wash off with a hose.
    LOVE the bit about the garage code being written for all to see!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You see, the problem with living in K&C is that they would probably fine you for writing on the pavement. Or you need a license, or something... Very impressed with your daughter writing letters off her own bat, btw - any chance you could parcel some of that up and send over here to mine?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhh that was very cute. We have pavement chalks but I can't remember where they are. will find them tomorrow when I tell Miss M about the dead gerbil. They might help to cheer her up.
    And you said, 'mailman', hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  11. btw - commenting on a comment you left me...I bloody crave Persil!
    Trader's Joe's and a Bleach Pen seem to do 'almost' as good a job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chalk blog! What a good idea. Communication prevents isolation after all. Yes, we Brits are far too restrained - except perversely in showing displeasure!

    I think my favourite letter is H, it's sturdy and graceful. I'm also rather fond of B, for its curves. I could go on... but maybe I'll shut up now :)

    SO GLAD YOU"RE BACK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We used to use normal blackboard chalk on the pavements and my children do too. It cheers daddy up when he walks over the path at the end of a long day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Been here less than 2 months and sidewalk/pavement chalk (as I said...2 months...) has already made it into our repertoire. In fact, we have even graduated to the paint variety which gave our landlady a nice little frisson as she stopped by to visit one day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Adorable! Who would have thought the letter Y could be so important to a child. I only remember learning Y as the hanger on to the vowels and wondering why it was separated from the pack. Why not just include it I asked?

    Next step 3-d sidewalk art:
    http://www.saturn9.ws/gallery/v/andy/sidewalk/

    ReplyDelete