Monday, August 11, 2008

Home again, home again, jiggety jig

We are back. We had a golden summer. Cousins played happily with cousins. I had my fix of old friends. We went to lovely beaches, the North York Moors, enjoyed old haunts, discovered new ones. Walked down streets – such a different thing from going to the mall. Walked along leafy country lanes that I have known since I was pushed along them in a big Silver Cross pram, kicking my younger brother for leg space. Went to the christening of my blogson. Husband and 11-yo had a day at Lord’s. Realised we’d been away too long when I said “there’s the pub”, and 4-yo piped up from the back of the car “what’s a pub?”

And blogging. Hm. Didn’t do much of that. Didn’t have internet access, you see. Had to go to the public library. Cramps one’s style a bit. Hadn’t planned to go silent for three months, but it sort of happened. Sorry.

It was good to go home. I had been worried that it would be unsettling for us all, make us unsure of where we fit in these days. But the opposite happened. It helped. The children made sense of which cousin belonged to which aunt and uncle, and if we needed evidence that blood is thicker than water, it was there to be found in the way they got on so easily. Links to places and people were still strong, but didn’t seem to evoke the same sense of loss. We fitted in here, there and everywhere more easily that I could have imagined. The familiarity was comforting. Most of all, we just didn’t think about it too much. I had been worried that the trip would make us homesick, but no. At least not for now. It made Britain seem more reachable, just a flight away, the Atlantic really just a big pond.

This, too. The balance has tipped. We knew deep down all along that this our American chapter would be not wrong, just different, and not forever, but we decided that we would live from the outset as if it were, putting down deliberate roots, holding loosely to home ties, living our thought lives as well as our physical lives here in the Midwest. I never fooled myself, but I gave it my best shot, carefully and with effort. Our summer changed that. We’ve started thinking and talking about the return strategy. Too much, probably. We did some forward planning, a bit vague at this point, but at least the direction is decided. We’ve done the uphill climb, we’re now on the plateau. I know the downhill may be some way off, but I’ve allowed myself to acknowledge it exists. That is a good feeling.

A golden summer with silver linings.

11 comments:

  1. Always a pleasure to go away, exciting and sometimes adventurous. But always a joy to get "home".

    CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back. You've been away a while. Re the "return" - don't leave it too long or you might find that you don't fit in anywhere. And then your kids will be well and truly enmeshed in the American school system, which means you'll have to wait till college at least before returning. (Does it sound like I know what I'm talking about??)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome... uh, back! (Hey -- we're on the same side of the pond for the second time this summer! How cool is that?!)

    Glad that the rest of your summer was such a success and that reentry on both sides has been a positive experience. For what it's worth, I do recommend the 2 year mark as an appropriate time for cutting your losses and heading back permanently. :)

    Apologies for my lack of communication over the past month (and after your wonderful visit & sweet note, no less)... expect to hear more from me once I dig my brain out of this pile o' boxes... In the meantime, I'm thinking of you all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it great to have a conversation with several people without having to pause and use the US word, or explain your use of a British word?

    I'm jealous that you have a strategy!

    We're still unsure what ours is, long term - staying put seems to be the consensus lately and I'm not sure if I've made my peace 100% with that thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Iota, welcome back! Glad you had a great time, and very interesting to hear about the gradual formation of an exit strategy - especially since for us, whilst still not confirmed, the Russia thing is refusing to go away. I've said all along that it would be for 2 years, tops - good to know that I'm not the only one who can throw themselves into an adventure as long I know the ending...

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think being an ex-pat would be hard, even when the countries seem so similar on the surface.

    i just finished reading "the anglo files," sarah lyall's book about her 10 years in england. you might find it interesting to see the ex-pat story from the opposite point of view.

    (lyall is a NYTimes correspondent, based in london.)

    anyway, welcome back! for however long you choose to stay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to have you back and blogging! It is always easier for me if I know a likely outcome and can work towards it, rather than worrying too much about the future. You can enjoy all that the US has to offer, safe in the knowledge that you'll be coming home again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. welcome Iota. I'm glad it was good. And I'm glad it wasn't unsettling to potter back across the pond. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad it was good, and that it was ok to go back to the states too, even if it has given you stuff to think about. But seriously Iota, "What's a pub?" ;D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I sense an uplift in spirits. Good to hear you enjoyed the break.

    Finally being able to see the end changes everything doesn't it. I find it's in the time before that, when you feel lost, that it's tough/confusing.

    Now it looks like you have the best of both countries in your heart.

    Great.

    ReplyDelete