Thursday, August 21, 2008

Making the grade

Back to school again. All well in general. We now have a preschooler, an elementary schooler and a middle schooler. Middle school is a bit of a step up: classes in different rooms with different teachers, changing for PE, having a locker, and no recess. 11-yo is horrified by the thought of having no time off during the day, and only half an hour for lunch, and I have to say, I do rather agree with him. How can you expect kids to function well from 8.00am to 3.00pm with only half an hour off? They do have PE, and “electives” which are less academic and more fun (though not the ping-pong that I’d been told would be on offer, and which I’d held out as a recess-alternative bone to 11-yo all through the summer). Useful training, I suppose, should any of them end up perchance living in a society where a long-hours work culture prevails.

Middle school, we were told, would bring increasing expectation on the kids to take responsibility for themselves and their work. Yesterday, 11-yo came home with his first History homework. “I don’t really know what I’m meant to write,” he said, “but I’ve got to do two sheets. On the first I’ve got to say what grades I expect to get, and how I’m going to behave, and on the second, I’ve got to say what grades you expect me to get, and how you want me to behave.”

On the first sheet, he duly stated that he hoped to get A grades, or at least Bs, that he would turn homework in on time, that he would work hard in class, be respectful and honest, make friends with people who need friends, and a few other undertakings, which had me looking for the “for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health” clauses by the time he’d finished. He discussed with me what he should say on the second sheet, and paraphrased our conversation as follows: “My Mum says she doesn’t mind what grade I get, so long as I do my best.”

Fffffff, sharp intake of breath through teeth. What do you mean, you don’t mind what grade your kid gets? Well, I appreciate that we can’t all be good at everything. So, 11-yo might be gifted in History, or he might not. Time will tell. He might get As and Bs, or he might not. If he doesn’t, he might get those As in other subjects, but, well, he might just not be terribly academic, and end up with all Bs and Cs, and excel at being a sportsman, or the piano, or cooking, or nothing at all. He might just be a thoroughly nice rounded individual who is happy in himself and contributes to society, and that’ll be mighty fine. I did say I would encourage him to aim high, be diligent and punctual in doing his homework, attentive and respectful in class, and contribute well to discussion. I thought that was the least I could do.

This grades obsession, though. It’s a bit sad. I know parents who reward their first graders each week-end (with playstation time, I think) according to their weekly grades. I know parents who say “I don’t care what he does at home, how much TV he watches, whatever, so long as his grades don’t suffer”. I know a first grade teacher who has to operate a system of grading in which 5 and 6 year olds are graded for reading ability, so those who can’t yet read have to be routinely given a C, and then she has to deal with the parents freaking out about it.

Anyway, back to 11-yo. He then asked his father to contribute, and added “My Dad says that he isn’t worried about my grades, but wants me to develop a life-long love of learning”. Fffffff, again. So you differentiate between a good education and good grades? That’s definitely pretty crunchy (have I used that word right?). Probably got 11-yo put on a list of children at risk.

We may have got good at understanding the school supplies list, we may even be able to operate the complex drop-off and pick-up procedures, but I’m afraid our performance at this first middle school hurdle will have ruined our chances of being straight A parents.

8 comments:

  1. Ah but did you have a "trapper-keeper" on your list. I thought it was a piece of science equipment until I saw them in Walgreens - a zipped binder.
    And if you think middle school is different - wait till high school. They seem to have an individual schedule based on their electives, so there's no one to follow from classroom to classroom.
    BTW I now have the distinction of having a high schooler, a middle schooler and a lower schooler (K) all in the same school. I am thinking of renting a room there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Expatmum, I think you should (rent a room). You could give English lessons. And yes, actually, do you know I DID know what a trapper-keeper is. The ones that were new to me were tacky glue, and a note card ring. And why are they so keen on pink erasers?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd have put exactly the same as you Iota. It's scary they're grading kids so young. Do they get grades for settling in well and being happy??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are A+ parents!

    Isn't it insane how much stuff you have to provide for the school here? I guess in the UK and Ireland we take so much for granted - I have to tell you I was gobsmacked that the richest country in the world can't provide exercise books and pencils for schoolkids!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Parents seem to have to learn as much - or more than - the children as they move up the education ladder!

    ReplyDelete
  6. middle school is listed as one of Dante's levels of hell. I think everyone who survives deserves a reward.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's the same here. My 13yo son has to make a kind of personal achievement budget, speculating on his future grades. The teachers do the same for each pupil. It must be so time-consuming! The children also have to sign behaviour charters, counter-signed by parents.

    I suppose this may reflect the modern workplace - but far too early on in their lives. I am so glad my work doesn't place those constraints on me. I would feel obliged to rebel!

    I think you and your husband are spot on in your attitudes. Happy well-rounded individuals - that is the best goal in education, surely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm stunned to see the worry about American grades--my biggest shock on coming to the UK was how early the children have to specialize and how much effort they have to put into perfecting their exam taking skills. Where as there are many paths to success in the US, and good colleges are available to medium students, here in the UK it's time long before age 11 to set the course for Oxbridge, else life will not be the same!

    ReplyDelete